Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Random Mission Assignment Table (in that random folk can vote)

Fetch Quest
MacGuffin Transport
Go and Fix Something
[Deleted for Security Reasons]
CMT Hunting
Solve Mystery
Pester Other Forumites to Join

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Paranoia Fare: Lazy Friend Computer - Game Over...for now  (Read 4057 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Paranoia Fare: Lazy Friend Computer - Game Over...for now
« on: November 18, 2021, 02:17:08 pm »

Attention Citizens!  Friend Computer has a wonderful mandatory opportunity for YOU to save Alpha Complex and prove your loyalty!
Sign up to be a Troubleshooter!  Find Trouble, Shoot Trouble, Get Rewarded!  Win-Win!  Failure to Win is Treason!  Don't be Treasonous, become a Troubleshooter!

...secret discord link for this game

Heh, being a Troubleshooter is a great way to advance in your Secret Society.  I plan to run this like a Lazy Fair in that each of the 6 (or so) Troubleshooters will be responsible for running a portion of the mission, and the players will themselves set their secret society tasks...more or less.  I'll mainly assist by moderating disputes, (pretending) to roll dice, [Deleted for Security Reasons], and giving ideas/pokes. This link describing the Paranoia Role Playing Game is Above Your Security Clearance.

Another link for Troubleshooters

And a Discord topic on Paranoia.

I'm going to arbitrarily divide the typical mission into the following 6 stages, subject to change based upon player interest [CLASSIFIED].
A) Briefing
B) Outfitting (typically this means getting standard equipment at PLC and experimental equipment at R&D, but anything that gets the players some gear is fine)
C) Finding Trouble
D) Commie Mutant Traitor Counter Attack!  Or Unexpected Plot Twist
E) Shooting Trouble, or Otherwise trying to resolve the Plot
F) Debriefing

Quote from: Troubleshooter Questionnaire
1) Name
2) Service Sector (or job if you're unfamiliar with the format)
3) Secret Society (this can be an "open secret", or you can send me a PM)
4) Mutant Power (if you post something here, you are a Registered Mutant.  If you DON'T want to be heavily discriminated against, include it in the PM instead)
5) Preferred Team Role
6) Your Security Clearance
7) Your Clone number (any errors on question 6 will be rectified here, so maybe you should explain why you are an Indigo slumming with a bunch for Red Troubleshooters, or you might end up a Red Troubleshooter on your 2nd clone instead of your first)
8) Your Favorite Part of the Mission
9) Other useless miscellaneous info, like your stats, skills, appearance, gender, personality, etc.  It really won't matter much, but you can use it to justify things I guess.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paranoia Fare: Lazy Friend Computer Needs Ambitious Troubleshooters
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 03:43:45 pm »

1) Name: Friend Timantha Jack
2) Service Sector: Resolver
3) Secret Society Friend Computer's Friendship Society.
4) Mutant Power: Friend Problem Resolver(Mind Controls Troublemakers to see the glorious Friendship and accept their Demise and rebirth. For Friendship!)
5) Preferred Team Role: Friend
6) Your Security Clearance: Indigo
7) Your Clone number 01000110 01110010 01101001 01100101 01101110 01100100 00100000 00110110 00110110
8) Your Favorite Part of the Mission: Making new Friends.
9) Friend. Keep in contact with other Friends. Resolve friendly fights among Friends.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 05:56:39 am »

Ok, because of [Deleted for Security Reasons]Get used to seeing that a lot, I imagine most potential troubleshooters are unfamiliar with some of the basics of the Paranoia RPG game, so I'm going to give you an introduction.  It's the most information you'll be getting, so pay attention!

Paranoia is a role playing game.  I assume you all know what that means.

But unlike normal role playing games, the Paranoia rpg pits the players against one another for the amusement of the GM because it is FUN.  You totally should be trying to get each other into trouble.

However, I prefer a slower pace.  You DON'T just try to shoot someone.  They might shoot back.  You might miss, they might hit.  You instead frame them for treason.

The game is set in an underground bunker after some apocalyptic event, the details of which you don't know.  In fact, maybe there was no apocalyptic event, and the whole thing is just a colossal lab experiment that went horribly wrong.  It doesn't really matter, as most missions won't be Outside anyways.

Your characters were raised in this bunker.  You have clone backups.  For all you know, you only have six clones total (six lives).  Maybe you get more, but probably not.

Friend Computer is the computer AI system that runs the underground bunker.  It generally wants what is best for everyone, but its gone crazy over all those years of poor maintenance and tampering.  Imagine if you could talk to God and quickly deducted that God was truly insane.  As far as you know, Friend Computer CAN do anything.

Clones have Security Clearance, this shows the level of trust that Friend Computer has in the Citizens of Alpha Complex (the name of your home is Alpha Complex, don't ask why, like seriously don't ask).

The Color Spectrum denotes the Clearances, from lowest being Infrared and the highest being Ultraviolet.

Infrared
Red
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
Indigo
Violet
Ultraviolet

The higher your clearance, the more information you are allowed to know, the more stuff you can interact with and own, and the more places you can go. 

But ignorance is bliss.  Infareds usually live out their allotted 30 or so years without major issues.

You however took the Red Apple.  An evil nefarious Secret Society corrupted you.  They gave you an opportunity to turn on your fellow citizen, betraying them to a certain death for a chance for advancement to Red clearance.

And were rewarded with promotion to Red, a delicious Red Apple, and assignment to a Troubleshooter Team.

Troubleshooters are like volunteer firefighters, only they kill traitors and otherwise solve problems.  Hah.

Like any other force of people given no training whatsoever and thrown at crises, Troubleshooters generally make thing worse, at least those formed from newly-promoted Red citizens.  Your actual goal is to complete your Secret Society mission and survive.

Happiness is Mandatory.  Not being Happy is Treasonous.  Traitors get killed.

Alright, enough for today.  Oh, and you get lasers.  They're generally worthless, but hey its something you generally get for free.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 02:42:50 pm »

1) Name: Friend 984-wvryv
2) Service Sector: Maintenance
3) Secret Society: Secret societies are treason
4) Mutant Power: Mutation is treason
5) Preferred Team Role: DPS
6) Your Security Clearance: Red
7) Your Clone number 1
8) Your Favorite Part of the Mission: Briefing
9) Primary job was testing ladders, elevators and stairs.  Talks about vertical transportation way too much. 984 or Wveryv to friends and name was certainly not the result of someone smashing a keyboard at random.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2021, 05:04:43 pm »

Greetings Troubleshooters!  Now if you can recruit 2 more friends each, we're ready to go!

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2021, 10:35:07 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 12:08:48 pm by BlackPaladin99 »
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2021, 10:36:28 am »

Rules lite playerdriven Paranoia? Can the proper atmosphere of absolute GM tyranny survive without the dictatorial control of standard Paranoia?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2021, 10:47:24 am »

Rules lite playerdriven Paranoia? Can the proper atmosphere of absolute GM tyranny survive without the dictatorial control of standard Paranoia?
Dorsidwarf, report for brainscrubbing for slanderous speech.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2021, 10:53:53 am »

1) FRANK-R-1337
2) R&D
3) An even more secret society (check PMs)
4) Unknown mutations, if any
5) MoraleTM Officer
6) Red
7) 2
8) Kicking open the door
9)
R&D Test Item: Box of 6x Infrared Phosphorous Grenades with Surprise Fuse Tech
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 05:43:18 pm by Screech9791 »
it's over

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2021, 12:12:38 pm »

Two slots available, unless Dorsidwarf wants to join after brainscrubbing, then one slot available.  Extra slots may be available, if Friend Computer deems you worthy.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2021, 12:49:22 am »

I kept an eye on this and of course it blows up when I'm not looking. I am interested, but fully expect to fall flat once it falls onto me to drive the action. Oh well, for Friend Computer!

Quote from: Troubleshooter Questionnaire
1) Dan-R-GRY-1
2) Service Sector: Tech Services
3) Secret Society: None, Friend Computer!
4) Mutant Power: None, Friend Computer!
5) Preferred Team Role: Equipment Guy
6) Your Security Clearance: Red
7) Your Clone number: 1
8) Your Favorite Part of the Mission: Heroically defending Our Complex from Commie Mutant Traitors
9) Other useless miscellaneous info, like your stats, skills, appearance, gender, personality, etc.: Gender is male, like that makes a difference in Alpha Complex. Appearance is pale-skinned and with perpetual stubble. High Software and Hardware skills, especially bot skills.

I also have the virtue of having actually read the rulebook or the RED parts, anyway.
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2021, 12:14:57 pm »

Loyal Troubleshooters!
Friend Computer is so happy to see this outpouring of loyal citizens seeking to fight Terrorists, Communists, and Mutant Scum!
As the team seems to be mostly formed, and no obvious Team Leader has arisen, Friend Computer has decided that the best Team Leader is one selected by the team.

Please publicly announce whom you feel is best suited to be Team Leader.  Failure to help Friend Computer is Treason.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2021, 01:45:47 am »

Why Lasers Suck

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2021, 04:58:50 am »

(I just noticed this existed and since this sounds fun and I dont want to miss out I am writing this post at around 4:40 am hope im not too late! Also this is my first time ever doing something like this so let me know if I make any mistakes) (Also also once again doing another cross over episode with Steve)
Spoiler: Steve Goldwin (click to show/hide)

"Its so hard to decide! You all seem like such lovely people after all! Although if I must elect a leader I say it should be... Steve glances around at everyones nametags "Frank! I mean just look at the guy! He looks like a person born to lead if I say so myself!"
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 03:04:39 pm by Fluffe9911 »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paranoia Fare: Lazy Friend Computer - Vote for Team Leader
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2021, 07:19:19 pm »

A poll has been created for Citizens of Alpha Complex to vote on who gets the honor of being Team Leader.  Note, this is in addition to their other team privileges.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5