Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why do my military dwarves turn into civilians when I give them burrow alerts?  (Read 1001 times)

TheGoomba98

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've got two military squads; one is made of melee weapon users and the other is made of crossbow users. Both have 10 dwarves in them. I've made a "Danger Time" alert that tells them (all 10 dwarves in each squad) to defend a burrow that I placed outside the fortress, with the intent of defending the fort against sieges. However, when I tested this alert out, my dwarves do go outside, BUT they also lose their military status and change to the jobs they had as civilians (this is what I mean by "turning into civilians" in the thread title). When I set them back to the Active/Training alert, they retain their military status.

Why do the dwarves change jobs when set to defend a burrow? Is it because there aren't any hostiles outside? Or did I screw something up when making the schedule? Is this even anything I should be worried about?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions

Some screenshots of your alert's Schedule might be of use in diagnosing your problem - even better would be a copy of your saved game uploaded to DFFD.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

TheGoomba98

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions

It sounds like this is a known bug - whenever you switch a squad's alert state, all of its members will revert to Civilian mode, and they won't actually start obeying their new orders (which switches them back to Military mode) until the beginning of the next day.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

TheGoomba98

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, even if it is a bug, I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing it. Thanks for clearing that up.