Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How will the Infodemic end?  (Read 1100 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
How will the Infodemic end?
« on: November 23, 2021, 04:56:11 am »

Something transformative seems necessary. Its not just reducing the information, but making people forget it. Post-apocalypse would do it...
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: How will the Infodemic end?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 04:59:57 am »

Don't worry, just a few more decades of budget cuts on education and libraries and we will be back in the Dark Ages
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 05:28:12 am »

For those who don't know, infodemic = fancy word for spreading false information about diseases. Including Covid.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 10:24:09 am »

This'll help people forget:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2021, 11:48:59 am »

Ah, yes. The dwarven solution!
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2021, 01:04:18 pm »

Not a bang ... but a whimper ...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2021, 01:52:21 pm »

For those who don't know, infodemic = fancy word for spreading false information about diseases. Including Covid.

In this case I mean the general information epidemic.
Reading a thinner book

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2021, 04:44:03 pm »

Another Carrington Event perhaps
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2021, 07:54:42 pm »

Heh, this issue is as old as time.  The issue is the same, the problem is volume.  But people still only have so much time to pursue info, and they'll gravitate towards accuracy in what they actually need to "get by", and towards entertainment in "everything else".

For example: Let's say I have a business buying and selling real estate.  I'm going to gravitate towards accurate information in local news and real estate, since that affects my bottom line.  I'm going to gravitate towards things that make me happy regarding political news, or just learning enough to charm people locally.  I'll know just enough about this Pandemic stuff to remain in business, but mostly avoid it because I'm too busy dealing in real estate.  My knowledge of vaccinations will be solely based on whether or not I want to be vaccinated.  I'm a businessman, so I know best.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2021, 10:07:43 pm »

I don't think that will ever end. Nor should it, depending on what you mean exactly.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2021, 12:15:30 am »

I don't think that will ever end. Nor should it, depending on what you mean exactly.

You can't shut up the people you hate without suppressing the people you love.  Awful speech says the following "Hey, if they can get away with saying THAT, nobody is going after ME".  The idea is to make Bad info less valuable.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2021, 01:35:03 am »

You can't shut up the people you hate without suppressing the people you love.  Awful speech says the following "Hey, if they can get away with saying THAT, nobody is going after ME".  The idea is to make Bad info less valuable.
Well I highly doubt that is ever going to change. It was always like that wasn't it. How do you define bad in this context? Harmful to society? Strange thread...

I believe more information, if it is true and relevant, is always a good thing.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2021, 04:06:10 am »

Well I highly doubt that is ever going to change. It was always like that wasn't it. How do you define bad in this context? Harmful to society? Strange thread...

I believe more information, if it is true and relevant, is always a good thing.
Truth is in the Eye of the Beholder, as the saying goes.  Relevant is always a subjective rule.  Relevance outweighs Prejudice, perhaps?

...onto the actual thread topic, there are signs of an end to the so-called Infodemic.  As speculated in the Weird & Strange Future Question Thread, Facebook and other social media are "closing up" their Freedom-of-Speech.  I imagine that the more hateful speech will get pushed out of the more public social media areas back into the Gutter of the Internet, where they belong.  Unfortunately, Hateful Speech and Political Speech are sometimes hard to untangle, so political activism will suffer slightly.  Maybe in the US the Republican Party will actually develop standards again?Probably shouldn't hold my breath At least they might have to stop appealing to the Extremists on the National Stage.

Both political parties prefer a media that distorts things to favor them, so I don't expect mainstream media to get any better for a while.  Especially since most media outlets are owned by highly political folks.  At some point, I do think enough media outlets will cross the line to get thrown before a Senate Investigating Committee, and they'll actually have to check their facts again.  It's more a "When" and no longer an "If". 

We're nowhere near the "When" yet, as I think Big Media has recently won, so to speak.  Frankly, I see the US Presidential Elections as Media ousting an incumbent President with someone completely unfit for the job, so they're "Winning".  At some point, if a President actively attacks the Free Press, the Free Press strikes back.  There was like two media outfits supporting Trump, everyone else wanted him gone.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2021, 07:55:42 am »

Good, bad... there's too much to think about. Too much to process, even when you unplug. If you're dumb you can dosge this for now, but not forever; and for everyone else its a matter of endurance and how long until your forced to think, which you will be in a future this uncertain.
Reading a thinner book

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2021, 09:14:26 am »

Good, bad... there's too much to think about. Too much to process, even when you unplug. If you're dumb you can dosge this for now, but not forever; and for everyone else its a matter of endurance and how long until your forced to think, which you will be in a future this uncertain.

Nice to hear from you, thanks for all the questions!

Back in the pit of last year, I had the same issues.  Sorta transformed them into a mini Midlife Crisis, and came out betterI hope.  I also wrote a short story at the end of it.  Now I'm back working, and don't have much time for critical thinking.  Forum mafia also took up time.

Thinking is a product of too much free time.  Some is good, therapeutic.  But like all things, too much is toxic.

When in doubt, read about WWII Battleships (or whatever is interesting).  Lots of info also means lots of info on stuff that is interesting in a more leisure reading sort of way.
Pages: [1] 2