Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How will the Infodemic end?  (Read 1101 times)

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
Re: How will the Infodemic end?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2021, 11:40:47 am »

I mean, you're under no real obligation to think about what anyone says about anything, really. Learning to manage your data intake isn't dumb, it's pragmatic. You don't need to think about ads. If it's not important to you, whatever is going on between China and Taiwan doesn't require your consideration. There's countless millions of books, shows, movies, games, songs, poems, whatever out there- and it's not your responsibility to know any of them. Time is limited and you're under no obligation to digest mediocrity or whatever doesn't interest you.

Information on its own has no direction, it's effectively gas. Human willpower has direction and intent and is selectively permeable. Glide through it like a longshoreman over misty waters.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2021, 12:51:11 pm »

Osmosis has a power of its own, and by God do we have osmosis.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2021, 01:33:01 pm »

Well I highly doubt that is ever going to change. It was always like that wasn't it. How do you define bad in this context? Harmful to society? Strange thread...

I believe more information, if it is true and relevant, is always a good thing.

I think he means the outright false information. Not just information overload as a whole, but the ascendant wave of conspiracy theories and misinformation that we're dealing with at the moment.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2021, 02:06:02 pm »

Well I highly doubt that is ever going to change. It was always like that wasn't it. How do you define bad in this context? Harmful to society? Strange thread...

I think he means the outright false information. Not just information overload as a whole, but the ascendant wave of conspiracy theories and misinformation that we're dealing with at the moment.

It just gets muddy when certain things are called out as false and misinformation at first, then later turn out to be quite possibly true.  (Like the lab leak theory that was forbidden to be discussed at first)  Things like that erode trust in the arbiters of truth.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2021, 02:17:22 pm »

Isn't information subject to entropy?

Pretty sure that means that the end state is ultimately a morass of completely random signals from which no useful information can be extracted.

Seems we're well along that path!  ;D

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2021, 02:17:30 pm »

Nah, just more information. Here's another scoop, for reference= Knowledge is power

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2021, 04:26:31 pm »

It just gets muddy when certain things are called out as false and misinformation at first, then later turn out to be quite possibly true.  (Like the lab leak theory that was forbidden to be discussed at first)  Things like that erode trust in the arbiters of truth.

Didn't the Lab Leak thing get proven to literally be based on a nothingburger conspiracy over insisting something had to be wrong (based on nothing) and that if something was wrong then QED covid = chinese bioweapon?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2021, 05:32:33 pm »

This'll help people forget:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'll drink to that! From what I hear, consuming enough alcohol prevents and cures COVID anyway.  :P   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2021, 11:42:35 pm »

Nah, just more information. Here's another scoop, for reference= Knowledge is power

The linked thread helped too.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2021, 02:55:27 am »

Good, bad... there's too much to think about. Too much to process, even when you unplug. If you're dumb you can dosge this for now, but not forever; and for everyone else its a matter of endurance and how long until your forced to think, which you will be in a future this uncertain.
I like having a lot to think about!
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?
Pages: 1 [2]