Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Offerings to mountainhome, to become one.  (Read 1999 times)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Offerings to mountainhome, to become one.
« on: November 24, 2021, 04:49:41 pm »

Question regarding v.0.47.05.

After donating 101010 dwarfbucks to my caravan, and achieving a status of Metropolis (which is ruled by the count, only after two sites linked), I expected to become a mountainhome. But years were passing and nothing came out of it. So I checked the Becoming The Capital Window (n-c) and discovered that my offering didn't actually count. The desired architecture (15000) is surpassed, but the current offerings (with only 5000 desired) stand at zero. Now question: what happened to the money the merchants promised to deliver to my capital? Have they embezzled it? On the civ screen (c-c) offerings from my fortress stand at 101010, but for some reason it is not recognised in that other screen. How to make it count?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Offerings to mountainhome, to become one.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 06:38:28 pm »

You're not a dukedom yet, so you're still missing a tier of required pop, export and offer value.

Mountainhomes have esoteric requirements to entice the monarch, 200 residents in the site or in connected sites, exported wealth and x so many glass and metalworking jobs being completed.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 10:56:56 am »

You're not a dukedom yet, so you're still missing a tier of required pop, export and offer value.

Mountainhomes have esoteric requirements to entice the monarch, 200 residents in the site or in connected sites, exported wealth and x so many glass and metalworking jobs being completed.

The only requirements listed by the wiki are Metropolis rank (which he already has), 15,000 in architecture (which he also has), and 7,500 in offerings to the Dwarven caravan.  I think he may have found a bug.  The next question is:  can he replicate it?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2021, 11:28:36 am »

The only requirements listed by the wiki are Metropolis rank (which he already has), 15,000 in architecture (which he also has), and 7,500 in offerings to the Dwarven caravan.  I think he may have found a bug.  The next question is:  can he replicate it?

Are you sure you're checking the right wiki? Mine says that a fortress has to be a "metropolis" before the king will arrive. It says the requirements for that are 140 population and 50 each of these jobs completed in the previous year: Craft/Metal/Wood/Gem/Stone/Food.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2021, 06:03:59 pm »

It seems that the requirements have changed with different versions.  From the following I would expect the fortress to need to be a duchy... and maybe some other things besides.

https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Monarch
Requirements for a monarch's arrival can be checked by pressing [n] [c] after a fortress has reached a certain wealth. A fortress may not need to be a metropolis in order for this to happen. [...]
With the presence of the monarch, a fortress becomes the capital of its civilization.

...digging a little deeper:

https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014_Talk:Monarch
I only have a Fortress Rank of City, and yet I am able to see the "Becoming the Capital" tab and check it, and presumably summon the king. Are we absolutely sure the fortress needs to be a Metropolis? I can provide screenshots if requested.

-Sidhwen- I am confirming, I also saw the "Becoming the capital" screen as rank of city, when I fulfilled it, I received the monarch.

[... also...]

The wiki reads "Requirements for a monarch's arrival can be checked by pressing [n] [c] after a fortress has reached a certain wealth." It seems that in v0.47.05 the fortress needs be a duchy for the screen to be available.

I'm pretty sure the 'fortress' page is out of date for some time - if that's where others are sourcing their information from.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2021, 03:02:09 am »

In previous versions (like 0.44), it was enough to have a metropolis, the count or duke as the head of the city wasn't need, I usually had a barony. The jobs needed were for achieving the metropolis status, once it was achieved, they were needed no more.

Well, I'll try to conquer some sites, and get upgrade to a duchy, though I'll miss the dwarves who will go there. For now I'm razing the enemy sites (except humans, because I want to make peace with them some day). Maybe it will oil some gears in the capital.

The politics in the current version (0.47.05) is a bit quirky to me. The elves were friendly, but then for some reason they stopped sending caravans, and started sending sieges. The humans the same. Even another goblin civ went to war with me, so I'm at war with two gobbo civs, which both send sieges. Some towers are formally at peace, yet they also were sending sieges (they don't have the zombiepower to do it anymore). I got upgraded to a county with only two holdings, and not four, as it was in certain previous versions (or maybe the other sites in the 3x3 area around a holding count too?).

On a slightly related note, is the dwarf who becomes an administrator of conquered site the leader of the squad, or is he determined in other way?

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2021, 05:12:15 am »

Any member of the squad can become the administrator.  Don't know if it is truly random or some sort of weighted roll which accounts for skills.  Sending a messenger should be able to request all dwarfs back except the administrator.  It is also possible that after some time the administrator can change and that last dwarf can be recalled.

Not sure what might be going on with holdings in 47.05.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2021, 08:58:23 pm »

Any member of the squad can become the administrator.  Don't know if it is truly random or some sort of weighted roll which accounts for skills.  Sending a messenger should be able to request all dwarfs back except the administrator.  It is also possible that after some time the administrator can change and that last dwarf can be recalled.

Not sure what might be going on with holdings in 47.05.

Weighted towards organizers so usually the most proficient dwarves which can be frustrating at times unless you cycle in a admin with barely any tactical skills to handle the site, also holdings have been peculiar since the very start, I havent personally seen much to suggest that dwarves or anybody else would actually listen to you if you owned a economic site, but maybe the next steam release with diplomatic view might offer more of a insight.

For instance you can hold a castle without a administrator, (technically your land) even without a conquered site noble, so possibly it might not be even nessecary.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 10:39:14 am by FantasticDorf »

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2021, 02:44:46 am »

Are you sure you're checking the right wiki? Mine says that a fortress has to be a "metropolis" before the king will arrive. It says the requirements for that are 140 population and 50 each of these jobs completed in the previous year: Craft/Metal/Wood/Gem/Stone/Food.

Emphasis added.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2021, 04:24:55 am »

Recently a caravan visited, and I offered them exactly 909091 worth of stuff. After the liaison went (fortunately he wasn't lingering as long as his predecessor used to, always waiting for the siege before deciding to leave), the offerings at the n-c screen stand at 909091. The offerings at the c-c screen stand at 1010101. This means the previous offerings weren't registered - maybe because the previous liaison died, or maybe it's because she always was leaving under siege, running for her life, while her bodyguards were being slaughtered. Or she was a greedy bastard and stole the stuff.

Now I'm waiting for the queen to come.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2021, 01:51:41 pm »

.... or maybe it's because she always was leaving under siege, running for her life, while her bodyguards were being slaughtered. Or she was a greedy bastard and stole the stuff.

Her bodyguards were the ones meant to be carrying said stuff, so if she got home alone, she was without the things you offered.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2021, 01:59:18 pm »

.... or maybe it's because she always was leaving under siege, running for her life, while her bodyguards were being slaughtered. Or she was a greedy bastard and stole the stuff.

Her bodyguards were the ones meant to be carrying said stuff, so if she got home alone, she was without the things you offered.

The item are technically carried by caravan, I checked that. The bodyguards (these who died) had only their clothes. The liaison's departure is important for many checks though, so I suppose this was the reason it didn't register - though it shouldn't, since the merchant says he will bring the offerings to the ruler, not the liaison, who by the time I offer stuff is already full of booze in the tavern, long after negotiations.

EDIT: And in the spring the queen came, along with several others. In older version the royal guards were a treat, with high skills and with the "don't care about anything anymore" trait, but in recent version all citizens receive this trait rather quickly, even children, and training is also quick. At least I won't have to babysit the liaison.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 04:27:22 pm by Saiko Kila »