Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A modern newspaper writing in the 1800s versus a Victorian newspaper writing tod  (Read 694 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

Modern paper writes in the Wild West. Ye Old newspaper is writing in London. Both have a week to prepare a paper.

Who makes more sales?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

who's tod?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Modern one: They take the time to research what was happening in the area and make absolute bank being literally prescient.

Old timey one gets wildly out competed by modern joints doing the same kind of journalism, but with better infrastructure and pre-existing familiarity with tech. They manage to squeak out an existence as Yet Another Tabloid, but that's about it.

Hypnotoad, of course, has already enthralled their accountants and skim off the top of both, outperforming them all at the end of the day.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile

Hypnotod*

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

Modern Paper goes out of business since they're utter crap that can't do shit without being spoon fed.

Old Timey makes bank because they're all about scrounging at the last second with good 'ol fashion journalism.

So yeah, I believe the exact opposite of Frumple, sorry mate.  Literally have zero respect for modern "journalism".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Victorian newspapers were like tabloids only it was harder to be held accountable for horseshit, ej :P

They'd fit right in nowadays, but not have much luck breaking into a market that already does everything they'd do in greater numbers.

Good ol' fashion journalism was yellower than a bleached lemon a lot of the time, heh. The dark secret of journalism is largely that it was always pretty shit, it's just gotten to the point it's a lot easier to double check what they're saying, both now and previously. Lot of the history of journalism has ended up being looking back at the "respected" journalists and finding a lot of "wait, that's not quite right" crap :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

Modern paper writes in the Wild West. Ye Old newspaper is writing in London. Both have a week to prepare a paper.

Who makes more sales?
Probably the old one in modern times, since political correctness wouldn't sell so well back in the day, whereas old-timey shock value probably would in this day and age.   

...Unless we factor in the subject matter of each, in which case the modern paper would probably sell a lot as it gave a glimpse into the future, though of course, the 1800s paper would also seem like a glimpse into the past, and we'd have a bigger population with more money with which to buy frivolous things like newspapers... but then physical newspapers ain't exactly in vogue these days either, are they?   

Hmmmmm.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile

who's tod?
I think it’s someone who wants you to buy his video game
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile

You can safely assume that both papers will publish a lot of BS drama wrapped around a few undramatic truths and they both will tailor their articles to their respective audiences, so the number of sales is near-completely dependent on the quantity of the available buyers, and those potential buyers' current interest in local or non-local events (this interest would parallel to the buyers' current economical environment, since wealthy buyers are more likely to be interested in non-local events and economically-stressed buyers are more likely to ignore non-local events).
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?