Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: AI-drawn pictures from word prompts, beautiful and lovecraftian (WOMBO Dream)  (Read 778 times)

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile

https://app.wombo.art

I saw this thing used on Reddit to create a few odd but also accurate movie posters for existing movies, so I decided to introduce it to B12 as well.

It's rather creative, usually accurate and often makes beautiful pictures, although it has... issues... with drawing faces and bodies up close.

I won't lie, I'm kinda interested what kind of monstrocities Bay 12's collective efforts will be able to create.

---

I put a few of the pictures that I generated with it here.

Its allegories of various countries turned out to be hilariously stereotypical while still very weird, so I made a separate imgur post for them.

Four wonderful examples from the two above links (warning: large images):
Spoiler: Apocalypse Now (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Battle for Stalingrad (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: France (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Balrog and Gandalf (click to show/hide)
And, uh, it seems to have read a very different version of Alice in Wonderland than most of us did:
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 12:31:11 pm by HmH »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is that what Alice in Wonderland looks line when you take some acid before reading it?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile

Is that what Alice in Wonderland looks line when you take some acid before reading it?
Perhaps, if it was a really bad trip.
Or maybe that's what Lewis Carroll would have written if he had access to LSD instead of opiates.

Here are some more examples:
(These remind me of the Hugs and Kisses Elemental, personally. In the second one, you can see all those teeth barely fitting under a thin veneer of cat.)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 12:30:42 pm by HmH »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile

Let's try with one of the favorite people of the bay12 posters from the american politics thread :

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile

As it turns out, the AI works pretty well with long phrases. Such as quotes.
It appears to be using pretty advanced language processing - not nearly as advanced as DALL-E, but it separates concepts out of a phrase in a shockingly precise manner.
Prompts can be seen at the bottom of each picture.

https://imgur.com/a/gD5wav0

The original quote (slightly shortened to fit 200 characters) is far less spectacular, probably because "Durin's Bane" is not as obviously linked to Balrog-like images:
https://imgur.com/a/KNGSUAE

And it can imitate styles, too. But it does not parse the sentence's structure the way DALL-E does, unfortunately.
The results of my tests are here. I'm afraid they're a bit too disturbing, even compared to the Cheshire Cat, so no spoiler tags for them.

UPD: It doesn't merely search the Internet for pictures matching the keyphrase - it somehow fishes out the most meaningful parts.
Otherwise it wouldn't have generated this:
Spoiler: Potato Jesus (click to show/hide)
My first guess was that it's trained on separate concepts (potato, jesus, potato jesus) and prefers ones that are less complex to more complex ones.
But then it would parse "Twilight" and "Sparkle" as separate concepts when I put "Twilight Sparkle" into the prompt - instead, it painted a pony of the same name.
So, my first guess was wrong. There has to be some kind of language-processing technosorcery going on.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 04:30:06 pm by HmH »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Potato Jesus
The savior we never knew we needed.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord