Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Ending the Bay 12 Death Penalty  (Read 4460 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ending the Bay 12 Death Penalty
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2021, 12:54:31 pm »

noooo don't come after my boy starver like this for a harmless communicative idiosyncrasy

I feel it's common among computer programmers, my ex also did that in his personal emails :V
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Amaranth

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Dodger
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2021, 09:05:31 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 03:03:08 pm by Amaranth »

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2021, 09:10:11 pm »

noooo don't come after my boy starver like this for a harmless communicative idiosyncrasy

I feel it's common among computer programmers, my ex also did that in his personal emails :V

If Starver's long, footnoted posts bother you, simply don't read them.
Unless, that is, you're Alex.
(edit: I read them because it keeps my mind sharp in addition to hearing what Starver has to say.)
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2021, 10:12:05 pm »

To toss in my two cents as a dude who rarely ventures out of FGRP except to lurk on the upper boards to see what good DF mods have been cooked up, we really don't need unbanning. Like some of our more experienced colleagues here have said, it's damn hard to be banned on Bay to begin with; we're a mature lot and I wouldn't have hung around so long if this was a more drama-filled forum.

If we started unbanning, even for people like GWG who DIDN'T get banned for racism or incessant trolling, we'd end up with more drama than it's worth. It's already hard to tick off Toady as it is, just leave the system be. It clearly works.

*retreats back to FGRP*

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2021, 11:21:01 pm »

Nitpick, but calling a permaban a "Death Penalty" is a false equivalence that seems like it was something put in the thread's title for shock value.

To state the obvious: Banning someone from a forum on the internet is not the same as executing them. Comparing banning to execution makes a ban sound like a far more serious action than it actually is. Making actions sound more serious than they actually are is unfair.

I'm not really active on the forums enough to say whether the people who were banned should be allowed to be brought back, mind, but I largely agree with the people saying no. There aren't very many people who have been banned. Allowing them to return may not actually have any effect considering many of these bans were several years ago. On top of that, allowing banned users to return may mean having to deal with the behavior that got them banned yet again.

Maybe this community has problems, but I don't believe allowing banned users to return is the solution.

Besides, Toady banned the users in question. It's ultimately Toady's decision as to whether "it's time [he gives] these guys another shot".

To repeat what another user said: If you feel strongly enough about this issue to create a post here, why not message Toady, instead?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2021, 03:54:12 am »

If Starver's long, footnoted posts bother you, simply don't read them.
Unless, that is, you're Alex.
(edit: I read them because it keeps my mind sharp in addition to hearing what Starver has to say.)

Oh! Sorry for the lack of clarity. It doesn't bother me, I think it's funny.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2021, 04:30:19 am »

I appreciate the footnotes. They're like little post lootboxes!
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2021, 04:34:43 am »

I also tend to overuse parentheses (in informal messages at least).

As for the topic itself, some people just don't deserve a second chance.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2021, 04:45:46 am »

You'd love Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrel by Susanna Clarke. There are pages where half the page is taken up by footnotes, as well as footnotes thst go on for pages
Love, scriver~

SirAston

• Bay Watcher
  • Mage Lord in a Lonely Storm
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2021, 07:46:38 am »

All forums/boards are autocratic by design, so there's no such thing as an unjustified ban in the first place. The difference is how the userbase reacts to these bans, and their options are staying or leaving.
The userbase tends to stay when they overall feel that these bans were taken as a last measure. The userbase tends to leave when they feel that bans are used willy-nilly or for nefarious/selfish reasons (just because a ban can't be unjustifiable doesn't mean a ban can't be bad, since actions will usually lead to reactions).

The vast majority here seems to be in favor of staying because they trust, by experience or by proxy, that Toady does a good job overall about banning people, using it as a last resort when all other options have been exhausted.

Plus, as some people have pointed out, people can, in theory, always return with an alt, it doesn't require mental gymnastics to mask oneself. If they still behave like the same dungheads they were last time, people will pick up on that and the alt will receive a fast ban, but if they have truly changed, people will also pick up on that and users tend to accept an alt if they don't make a mess. So, in a way, even if they get the door slammed shut into their face, in a roundabout way, it's still the banned user's choice if they want to stay out and move on, or return (and hopefully be better from that point on). That doesn't really happen with a death penalty.

*returns to Forum Games*
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 07:50:35 am by SirAston »

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2021, 09:26:37 am »

You'd love Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrel by Susanna Clarke. There are pages where half the page is taken up by footnotes, as well as footnotes thst go on for pages

Ooh oooh ooh or the, uh, Bartimaeus trilogy (?) I think it was, the one with some kid summoning a bored demon? Or House of Leaves, with literal actual pages of footnotes, some meaningful, some tangents, some long long lists of rooms without windows, etc.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2021, 11:52:46 am »

I think everyone in this thread should be Bay12 executed. Right now. In fact, why stop there? We should give the Bay12 Death Penalty to people outside of Bay12's jurisdiction.
Necro910
Actually, he was banned for joking about pedophilia with a user. The quote was something like "The little girl next door was winking at me wtf", and then "You're either a very lucky young boy or a very lucky pedophile. I wish you luck either way.". If it were just MAGMAAAAAAAAAAAAing, he surely would have been muted first.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 12:01:37 pm by George_Chickens »
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2021, 09:14:50 pm »

If we're doin' this now, I'm wantin' to subtweet everybody who types out colloquialisms.

Also people who still say "gorram."  I hated firefly even before all the joss whedon stuff came to life.  Every character he writes is the most annoying person in the universe.
Shoes...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2021, 09:17:32 pm »

#Cancel_Cthulhu

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2021, 09:18:04 pm »

Cosmic Banditos is a truly wonderful book, much recommended. Some of the footnotes even travel through time!   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5