Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Ending the Bay 12 Death Penalty  (Read 4465 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ending the Bay 12 Death Penalty
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2021, 10:47:09 pm »

I suppose I'm mostly influenced by Pratchett's liberal (though less expansive than mine) usage. And, in specific form, by the AFP conventions that developed to transcribe it in pure 7-bit unformatted text. Which means I'm also somewhat overly used to the [I]rrelevent subject-tag, too.

(But Randall Munroe also is known to multinest feteneet, on occasion, so another creative person who doesn't discourage my habits at all...)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2021, 12:21:17 am »

Mmmm I'm on Starvers side here as well, footnotes are cool.
---
On the subject of permabans, I'm heavily for them. I'm reminded of post recently I saw on a different forum where someone went "I just got permabanned from [sister forum] after fifty infractions" in the rant thread about said forum.

Some people in said thread who weren't a fan of the mods on that forum were vaguely supportive of him, but I was thinking "WTF mods, why would you bother keeping someone around after 49 infractions. The idiot is obviously too stupid to learn and you should have just permabanned them at like ten".

I have the same opinion here. If someone is so obviously annoying or unwilling to learn that they squander their chances giving them an unlimited amount over time serves little purpose besides making things more annoying for the mods.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2021, 07:26:47 pm »

I didn’t expect this thread to still be going after a page of people hailing Toady’s reluctance to wield the banhammer.

Ah well, I miss OW, but as mentioned Toady gives many second chances before ejecting.

To be perfectly honest, so long as the folks weren’t banned for something horrible or stupid, like condoning genocide, and didn’t cause any further issues, Toady would probably be alright with some of them coming back.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2021, 07:40:03 pm »

I didn’t expect this thread to still be going...
That's because this is no longer a thread about leveraging absurd hyperboles when discussing moderation.
Now it's about Starver's pigheaded reluctance to communicate clearly. Also, if I can have my way, about cancelling Cthulhu for casting aspersions on what is most holy. #Cancel_Cthulhu

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2021, 07:45:13 pm »

Joss Whedon was already the worst thing to happen to the visual arts even before it turned out he was an abusive creep.  I will gladly go to calvary for this.
Shoes...

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2021, 07:47:23 pm »

As a fellow abuser of parentheticals, I appreciate Starver's long, meandering and often branching posts.

Starver once sent me a PM that hit the character limit and was cut off mid-footnote. 

Also, #Cancel_Cthulhu, gorramit.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2021, 08:12:30 pm »

This is the part where Il Palazzo is subverted by his plucky, hyper-energetic oaf of an assistant, isn't it? I watched like one episode of Excel Saga and then shelved it knowing that I needed to be less sober and I'd find it hysterical.

Can we bastardize gorram into something even more unpalatable? A 'gorrarmit' or a 'garrummit' or a good swanky 'grangit' maybe? Gorspeed (gorreed?) and good luck, perhaps?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2021, 08:14:21 pm »

Starver once sent me a PM that hit the character limit and was cut off mid-footnote.
Did I? Was it?

Do you want me to try to find the rest for you?

Anyway, I try to be concise. But I also don't want to miss out anything if I've already compiled a lot of the back and forth of argument and counter-argument in my head. When I do miss that out, someone ends up saying what I didn't bother and if I then comment on it it looks like I'm just "me too"ing. In a non-hashtaggy way. So I'd rather just shorten the process.

If I can help by shoving a side-thought or three to somewhere you don't have to read. Consider it all Easter Eggs, perhaps.

(As far as I'm concerned[1], I'm not sure the primary title-invoked purpose of this thread is being successfully argued. I've been holding back[2], with my famed iron constitution and adamantine will[3], but now I'm here again, I might as well say that I apologise if I seem to be hijacking this thread, but I don't see many other people honouring its purpose so I don't feel too guilty. Hopefully not a banning matter[4], or even warning, but I'd not be the only one. Perhaps best to let it die, before we do.)

[1] Not that it helps.

[2] You ought to see the replies I haven't made!

[3] And led zeppelins.

[4] If I may try to drift back sort-of-on-topic.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2021, 08:31:32 pm »

Judging by the overall thread, it seems roseheart is the sole proponent of removing permabans on people, with strong arguments against changing what seems to work already.

With that, I think it's safe to derail the thread entirely off a cliff. Gawrshspeed, thread.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2021, 08:07:06 am »

Actually, he was banned for joking about pedophilia with a user. The quote was something like "The little girl next door was winking at me wtf", and then "You're either a very lucky young boy or a very lucky pedophile. I wish you luck either way.". If it were just MAGMAAAAAAAAAAAAing, he surely would have been muted first.
I didn't know this deepest lore

To be perfectly honest, so long as the folks weren’t banned for something horrible or stupid, like condoning genocide, and didn’t cause any further issues, Toady would probably be alright with some of them coming back.
It's surprising how advocating for IRL genocide has happened before on bay12 whenever Eastern Europe or the Balkans was brought up. It wasn't common but it was surprising to have it nonetheless; I miss some of our slavic posters but they needed to amplify their chill states

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2021, 08:10:47 am »

I miss some of our slavic posters but they needed to amplify their chill states

We aren't all gone
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2021, 09:32:42 am »

Long may we stay
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]