Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Ending the Bay 12 Death Penalty  (Read 4312 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Ending the Bay 12 Death Penalty
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2021, 09:54:18 pm »

No. I have been warned several times for my... exploits back in the day. Toady would have been justified to ban me then and there. He gave me a chance. I improved.

But those who were banned went way beyond trolling in Suggestions. Racism should never be tolerated in the slightest for example. They probably wouldn't improve anyways.

Also @wierd, the top entry on the list disappears when a new one is added. So it's longer than it looks like.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 10:13:46 pm by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2021, 08:50:52 am »

Yeah I'm with the general no on this.

Toady doesn't even have a arbitrary "three or other number strike rule" for mutings that escalates to a ban by default. He doesn't just give you repeated chances to better yourself but you have to generally go a step beyond to get banned instead of muted.
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2021, 11:04:32 am »

So on that list, you can divide them into two groups. People who were clearly intent on disrupting the forum by spamming or doing something illegal, and those who got a lot of second chances. There are a number of people on that list who genuinely didn't mean anything ill but were nevertheless always causing drama and... Fair enough. At that point it isn't a punishment measure, but more a "I've run out of rope to give" deal. It hurts when we lose someone who's been with us for ages but it's not like the moderation on b12 has ever been unfair; people acting in good faith get plenty of warnings before banning

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2021, 06:53:25 pm »

I remember interacting with a number of folk on the wall of banishment. A colorful bunch who bought a lot of color to the forum during more active days for sure. Ah memories.

But alas the Toad’s punishment is final. Plus it’s very easy to Not get banned from here, ya know.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2021, 07:20:35 pm »

Hmm.. Maybe DerMeister was right about milkable ogresses? We'll never know unless we give him the chance to explain it more thoroughly!
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2021, 03:15:00 am »

Some of the bans are kind of weird, like Neonivek's "deliberately obtuse" is an understatement, he may as well have been posting from another dimension, but I don't remember him being malicious.

But then there was like the guy who spammed everyone's DMs with gore, various people who did nothing but start shit with everyone, I dunno.  Most of the names I actually remember were just the worst people.

Ultimately even if we thought it was fine to let them come back, who would?  The most recent was six months ago.  Is Neonivek gonna come back to a forum he got banned from four years ago?
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2021, 11:14:58 am »

Neonivek got his ban because he pretty much refused to debate things or discuss things in a reasonable manner, leading to pages and pages of people attempting to understand him to no avail, creating low-level drama in threads and derailing them with his refusal to just let stuff go.

I was one of the primary people he kept coming into conflict with. I was pretty frustrated ever trying to talk to him but it never reached the level of feeling like I should report him (I think? it's been a few years) for something: being obtuse is a personality trait and less an action. Right about the time I was like "I'm just going to stop trying to engage him on anything" is when he got banned.

But clearly it was enough for others to report him, probably just because they were tired of the effect he had on threads he posted in. He was a consummate contrarian. I can only imagine Toady attempted to talk to him and got the same kind of treatment which led to his ban. If there was one I would question on that list, it would be him. But he also is the only example I can think of on this forum where legitimately attempting to interact with him resulted in more trouble than it was worth.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 11:29:18 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2021, 01:48:02 pm »

GoblinCookie was kind of like Neonivek, but stubborn instead of incomprehensible, and mainly focused on derailing suggestions threads. Utterly convinced he was right on a subject while focusing solely on one factor, ignoring all others that were brought up.

One of the derails involved him asserting that ducks would eventually wipe out all plant life and their own species forever due to overbreeding, while ignoring that they actually need to be able to reach every single plant, and the effects of malnutrition on reproductive capability before that point.

I probably would have gotten banned too if I didn't have the good sense to step back after the Toad posted a warning in a thread. Decided to let others engage instead until the Toad Hammer came down.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2021, 02:17:29 pm »

Fun Fact: Neonivek is 4th on the list of most posts on this forum. Above him at 3rd is the similarly banished GWG, whose ban now predates updated ban list
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2021, 02:23:27 pm »

Kinda crazy that's still true after this many years.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2021, 03:30:09 pm »

Play Forum Mafia: The Best Way to up your page count!
This ad brought to you by Forum Mafia, and it sponsors:
Cowboy Bebop Live Action Discussion
Paranoia RPG Recruitment Thread: Be a Troubleshooter Today
And more!

Fun Fact: Neonivek is 4th on the list of most posts on this forum. Above him at 3rd is the similarly banished GWG, whose ban now predates updated ban list
There are pretty obvious reasons for that.  It's a numbers game, in some ways.  The more you post, the more the responsibility.
It's also important to take breaks from the forum every once in a while.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2021, 03:47:35 pm »

Of death? there's been a dozen bans total that went bots or out right trolls.
As long as you follow the Forum Guidelines your fine.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2021, 03:57:08 am »

Yeah, I used to be pretty high, fourth or fifth, but once the forum games section became popular all the top posters are from there.

It's weird, it's like there's three different forums.  There's the dorf forts stuff, the general discussion area down here, and then the forum games, where you've got people with a billion posts who've never even played DF or interacted outside that section of the forum.  I dunno, I kind of don't like it.

I remember GWG was just constantly starting shit though, extremely belligerent poster.  And a lot of racists, usually in the, like, slavic type of racism as opposed to american racism or nazi stuff.  There've been a couple of those but lots of guys like sarmatian getting banned over poland vs whatever flame wars.  Then people like MrPoo or x2yzh9 who were just extremely twelve years old.

Actually, I dunno if x2yzh9 actually got banned.  I remember his name because he had multiple entries in the old Goonstation 13 wiki for acting like a twelve year old.

Point being, looking back through the list of banned posters I can't see a single person in there I'd want unbanned.  The only one that disappointed me was Torvac/Mictlantecuhtli, who was funny, but that predates the ban list.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 04:00:43 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2021, 05:28:48 am »

From the ban list I miss GWG, Neonivek and Necro910. The latter especially, since he's the only one of the three I knew who actually did want to rejoin bay12, and who got banned for spamming the magma meme too much.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2021, 06:30:31 am »

Again, I feel I have narrowly evaded the banhammer over the years; I have been suckered into 10+ page long tit-for-tat flame exchanges over my bad habit of having (and sharing) hot takes. (I prefer to state the hot take, and the reasoning behindv it to explain it, as I dont take to a position in a vacuum, but tend to end up arguing against the phantasms others invent, instead of accepting my reasoning at face value. This is especially true when somebody new joins, and doesnt realize just how much i live up to my username. ;) )

I really dont like such exchanges, but i acknowledge I tend to get into them, and that it is a problem.

Again, that I am still around is testament to the patience and leniency of the toad.

As a borderline troll myself, i can grasp how it hurts when a "notorious" poster gets banned. However, the same also tells me that every chance to be better was given.

Its not on the toad.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5