Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need Help Recording an Old Fullscreen game in OBS  (Read 3870 times)

Lupin6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need Help Recording an Old Fullscreen game in OBS
« on: November 30, 2021, 03:51:16 pm »

Hi. So, I recently bought several old computer games on GOG.com. They run on my computer. But the point is I wanted to record by playthrough of them. But the first one I tried is a fullscreen game, no window option, and I can't figure out how to record it properly inn OBS. I'm using Display Capture, but when I do that, the actual game is shrunk down and the rest of the space in the video is black screen. I tried reducing the base resolution to 1280x720, and that helped a little, but there's still a lo of black space, and reducing the resolution further made it so much worse.

I KNOW it can be recorded. I've seen other people do it. I just don't know how. Perhaps I need another program other than OBS? The game in question is Sherlock Holmes: Secret of the Silver Earring. I've seen people do let's plays and walkthroughs for this game without any black space on their videos.

Please, can somebody help me figure this out?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help Recording an Old Fullscreen game in OBS
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 03:10:05 am »

How old?

Directx 7/8 or DirectDraw?

Consider wrapping it through dgvoodoo2.

http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2/

It reimplements older directx and glidue calls into dx10 calls. It also allows to override window/fullscreen modes, antialias modes, etc.

It might wrap your old game in a way OBS can deal with.

Edit:

Reqs for that game say DirectX 8.1

Dgvoodoo2 can wrap that into translated DX 10 calls, and force window mode, force resolution, et al.

Give it a whirl.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 03:18:37 am by wierd »