Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New World Map tiles have complete different color palette?  (Read 5600 times)

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
New World Map tiles have complete different color palette?
« on: December 02, 2021, 11:56:10 am »

Given the recent art shake-up, it isn't too surprising that there would be some hiccups. My comment is that these new world map tiles look like they're from a completely different game compared to the previous world gen tiles we've seen, and the fortress mode tiles we've seen.

This image compares the saturation values of the three different tilesets:

This image compares the luminosity values of the three different tilsets:

In general, the new map is both much brighter, and much more saturated than the fortress mode tiles, and the old map tiles.

My personal preference would be to match the new world map to the current fortress mode tiles, but at the very least they should be matched so it's consistent.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 12:32:09 pm by Rekov »

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: New World Map tiles have complete different color palette?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 01:35:42 pm »

These new pictures are very pretty, and came out surprisingly fast! I'm inclined to agree with Rekov though that they could be more saturated, and maybe a little darker to make the trees pop less.

Example gif:

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 02:13:48 pm »

I think its important to compare like to like. So for example, just to compare the new world map tiles, with the fortress mode tiles:

Water: Both waters have similar saturation, it's just that the fortress mode water is significantly darker.
Grass: The fortress mode grass is both darker, and less saturated than the new world map tiles.

Here I have both:
1) Desaturated and darkened the grass.
2) Darkened the water, and shifting the hue more green.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 05:55:00 pm »

Personally, I wouldn't mind the fortress mode tiles getting more saturated.  Here's an example I made, it cycles between both-saturated, current-state, and neither-saturated.

It's up to the artists to decide what direction they want to take, but I hope they adjust the saturation.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2021, 03:45:25 pm »

The new world map stuff in the most recent update looks great! The colors are much more in keeping with the rest of the project. Good job, artists!

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2021, 05:22:21 pm »

The new world map stuff in the most recent update looks great! The colors are much more in keeping with the rest of the project. Good job, artists!

Yes, it looks cut from the same wood now.  Good job!