Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: You are a "GREAT" and "MIGHTY" Financial Wizard: Act 1  (Read 3143 times)

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
You are a "GREAT" and "MIGHTY" Financial Wizard: Act 1
« on: December 03, 2021, 12:29:11 pm »

You are a GREAT AND MIGHTY Wizard!

...well, actually, you're going to be one. Someday.

Right now, you're a person with a plain pointy HAT, shabby gray ROBES, a more or less spherical MAGIC ROCK, a COUPLE OF POINTY STICKS, and a few SCROLLS, who knows a little bit about [SUBJECT OF YOUR MAGICAL 'EXPERTISE'] living in a RENTED HOVEL with assorted MAGICAL ODDS AND ENDS.

It is currently Month 1, Week 1.

For vote:

What is your MAGICAL 'EXPERTISE'?
Where exactly is this HOVEL located?
How are you going to pay your BACK RENT this week?
Who collects your RENT, anyway?

[For information:

This is another single character multi player CYOA type.

Hat - Your Influence. You can EMBELLISH your hat to show your powers, once you can prove it. Other Wizards really don't like it when you hurt their brand by claiming something you ain't got.

Robe - Your Reputation. It changes colors and features based on what you do.

Orb - Your MP. You can PONDER to regain MP and strengthen your Orb.

Wand(s) - Your Power. This is a multiplier, and you'll have one per field (or more!). Aka, if you cast Fire spells through a Fire wand it's automatically more powerful than a plain Wand.

Book - Your Known Spells. You can find or make more; eventually you'll upgrade your materials.

Tower - Your Level. Influenced by everything, although DECORATION and COLLECTION subtly affect your WIZARDLY POWERS.

Currently, everything is set at 1, aside from a Tower. You don't even own a tower yet.

Turns are generally one week, although this may vary depending on the circumstances.

Occasionally, choices will be provided. Occasionally, it will be ONLY those choices. Otherwise, it's free form suggestions here.

Also, hi to anyone who remembers me and hi to those who don't! :) ]
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 11:49:51 am by Ross Vernal »

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
Re: You are a "GREAT" and "MIGHTY" Wizard
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 01:05:20 pm »

[I may need this for something.]

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
Re: You are a "GREAT" and "MIGHTY" Wizard
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 01:06:42 pm »

[I don't think I'll need this, but just in case.

I think this is it for meta-post, reply away]

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: You are a "GREAT" and "MIGHTY" Wizard: Act 0.5
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 02:29:25 pm »

- Finance.
- The historic hovel district. This hovel is virtually unchanged from its appearance when first constructed 400 years ago by a family of filthy peasants whose names were regrettably lost to history and thus not recorded on the plaque.
- Well, if this magic finance thing doesn't work out, there's always plenty of lonely people with spare cash in the bars— oh, did you mean how I was going to do that using magic? The powers of magic finance allow the adept to double or triple his money, change silver into gold, and build gleaming towers on a foundation of paper, all with the dark and mysterious energy of compound interest. Specifically, I was going to get some seed money through unscrupulous means, loan it out, then use a few parlor tricks I've picked up to bolster my income so I can cover the rent.
- An incredibly rich and greedy alternate future version of myself who owns most property in the known world. Magical finance does come with certain... risks.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2021, 04:17:15 pm »

I apologize for nothing.

- Thyme magic.
- On the outskirts of Crossbone Haven, the city made famous for EXPORTING PIRACY.
- Yesterday we met a hedge witch in a vegetarian bar. She's just a common garden variety witch, without your fancy pedigree, the newest apprentice branched from a largely unheard of, yet ancient, lineage tree of plant-themed wizards. She is having problems with magically enhanced rogue herbs, including thyme, in her garden. She is willing to pay for troubleshooting, so long as no ranged weapons are used to literally shoot the problem, as she opposes ranged weapons on ethical grounds.
- A former adventurer. She is tight-lipped on her former specialization, but we're pretty sure she is a BARBARIAN since she refuses to accept thyme as a form of payment. She is, however, our rival in clock collecting, and we had to give up our last clock as last week's rent, leaving us further lost for time than we've been in years.

Our hobby is collecting and fixing mechanical clocks. We wanted to be a time mage, but there was a tragic misunderstanding when signing up with a master, and our former master's demonstration of rapidly aging a plant muddled the issue further. When we finally realized the mistake, it was too late, and there was no time to turn back from thyme.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2021, 03:55:21 am »

- Finance.
- The historic hovel district. This hovel is virtually unchanged from its appearance when first constructed 400 years ago by a family of filthy peasants whose names were regrettably lost to history and thus not recorded on the plaque.
- Well, if this magic finance thing doesn't work out, there's always plenty of lonely people with spare cash in the bars— oh, did you mean how I was going to do that using magic? The powers of magic finance allow the adept to double or triple his money, change silver into gold, and build gleaming towers on a foundation of paper, all with the dark and mysterious energy of compound interest. Specifically, I was going to get some seed money through unscrupulous means, loan it out, then use a few parlor tricks I've picked up to bolster my income so I can cover the rent.
- An incredibly rich and greedy alternate future version of myself who owns most property in the known world. Magical finance does come with certain... risks.
+1 Let us rule the world with FINANCE!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2021, 09:56:40 am »

Finance is base...

I prefer THYME MAGIC!

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2021, 12:33:21 pm »

- Finance.
+1 Let us rule the world with FINANCE!
+1
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2021, 02:06:43 pm »

You exit your HOVEL while clipping on your TACKY TIE WITH GARISH MONEY SYMBOLS, and examine the historic hovel district of Patella Hill on the outskirts of the pirate city Crossbone Haven. It's a marginal improvement from the damp, flood-prone Phlanges Flats region below, at least.

On a normal day, you'd be descending into the Phlangian squallor to acquire money in various, probably unethical means; today, however, you're only going to the foothills of the Rolling Metatarsal to help the Gardenwitch. Although she doesn't pay in money, she does offer a quarter share of the MAGIC ROUGE THYME and you are the most reliable of those who can cast the necessary SPELL: FIVE FINGER DISCOUNT to harvest the plant while retaining its magical properties.

For the days work, you drain your ORB of its power to harvest 10 MAGIC ROUGE THYME. The Gardenwitch, grateful for the help, offers you a choice of QUESTIONABLY PRESERVED, VAGUELY GREEN MEAT or DUSTY, PERHAPS MOLDY, LOOSE TEA. [Your AUTOMATIC SPELL: DETECT PLOT ITEM tingles.]

With the remainder of your week, you attempt to find a buyer for your herbs, with increasing urgency as normally reliable shops show no need for more inventory. Finally, you encounter a newly arrived smuggler, who barters with you at something resembling profit for yourself; several questionable loans and a bit of ORB PONDERING to fuel your ROUNDING and COMPOUNDING spells, you come up with enough money by the end of the week to remain one week behind in rent, owing slightly more than you did at Week 1.

Wonderful.   you think sarcastically, handing over your coin to the property manager, who you suspect to be a retired ADVENTURER. Well, wonderful for the Other Me.

Although the one you actually give money to is the quietly angry ADVENTURER, the actual owner and de facto ruler of much of Crossbone Haven is, in fact, yourself. Not You-you, of course! It's a slightly different version of you, who you suspect might actually be Future You if not Alternate You.

You shake the feeling as the ADVENTURER gives you a skeptical and bored look, then holds out her hand, making a clicking tongue noise that reminds you of the mechanical clocks. Tick-tock.

"The rest of it, Wizard."

To vote:
What PLOT ITEM do you choose? (You can do Wizardly Things to find out more, or just pick and go.)
Do you give the PLOT ITEM to the ADVENTURER?
Anything else?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 02:23:18 pm by Ross Vernal »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a "GREAT" and "MIGHTY" Financial Wizard: Act 0.5
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2021, 05:11:25 pm »

I suggest we pick the MEAT because we will need to form a TEAM and you cannot spell TEAM without MEAT. You cannot spell it without TEA either but IT WON'T BE ENOUGH.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2021, 04:48:10 am »

I suggest we pick the MEAT because we will need to form a TEAM and you cannot spell TEAM without MEAT. You cannot spell it without TEA either but IT WON'T BE ENOUGH.
+1 We shall build a mighty TEAM using our MEAT!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2021, 05:37:43 pm »

You reluctantly stare at the ADVENTURER, and pull out the SUSPICIOUS MEAT.

Before it's even all the way out of your pocket, her eyes widen, she hisses "Put that away, you [untranslatable disparaging remark]“ herds you inside, and SLAMS the door shut.

" You're a [probably foriegner for Wizard], do something to make us not be heard."

You blink at the sudden thick accent, and cast your SPELL: PRESTOMAJESTO. (It can do pretty much anything, but not very well or for long.)

There is a sudden pop, and the ADVENTURER looks briefly pleased before moving her mouth in what seems to be words and then what appears to be a sigh. You attempt to respond, but no sound comes out. Same with the sigh.

You note that your new SPELL: SILENCE worked, at least, and remind yourself to SCRIBE it before day's end.

A few moments of impatient silence, broken only by a very loud sigh.

"Where the [some other language and/or religion's Bad Place] did you find DRAGON MEAT?"

She almost slams the rickety excuse of a table before stopping at the last moment. Her eyes seem to be more orange than the filtered daylight and gaslamps should allow.

You don't blink, but gently engage in your IDLE NERVOUS BEHAVIOR, calculating how much power you have left in your ORB.

For vote:
- How exactly do you ANXIETY STIM?
- What do you do about the CLEARLY UPSET ADVENTURER in front of you?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2021, 07:42:50 pm »

- How exactly do you ANXIETY STIM?
What does this even mean?

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2021, 12:20:29 am »

[Basically: what physical behavior betraying anxiety is happening? Tapping toes? Humming? Rubbing the wand sticks? Etc etc.]

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2021, 04:05:36 am »

Pages: [1] 2 3