Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Fikuk Urdim, "The Field of Towers" - Appeasing Elves with Artifical Tree Towers  (Read 10540 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The next year, had things happen. Surprise surprise.

---

The completed bridge of windmills, each machine generating the maximum 40 dwarfpower:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dwarves can still walk alongside the whirling towers, though they would never have a reason to, unless you choose to leave the farm tower gate open. I think this might make things more efficient if you were to, say, cut down a hundred trees and need to haul wood inside. I think.

---

oh hi mark, whats up?

quick, efficient, and bloody, the fight was over in a few strikes, though it did take a further 6 pages to kill the intruder.

Our whole military, colorful and strong, stood by the gigantic corpse:

---

Feeling festive, anyone? Well too bad - this reindeer has become a reinburger.

---

At some point, this happened:

However I could not track down just what this artifact was, that was stolen. Nor could I find this witness report in justice... So this remains a cold case. I did however remove doors from the base of our third tower to prevent thieves from easily skirting out the back entrance. They will have to pass the military rooms, and the depot, before leaving with the objects (though who knows how much effect this will have).

---

Our king, whom I have titled "Tower King", awoke with a start. Stirring inside him - a desire above all else!

Here you can see him stumble across the golden, engraved floors and past the legendary artifact door . . where would he go?

I will skip the part we all know too well, the running about and begging for various ingredients.

Eventually our king produced this:

Huh. A bit of history, for sure, and kind of interesting to see the very first royalty honored here. Regardless, a certain museum piece, yet it felt wrong to separate it from the creator, thus it was pedestal-d inside the King's chambers, always at the ready should someone intrude.

---

In light of the creation of our farm tower, it was noted that the dining rooms were really too far away from the food stores. It was painful watching dwarves run back and forth, for no real reason.. so it was decided to move the masonry below and replace it with a large dancing and dining room. So, this took up some of the summer months:

into this:

The dwarves like it, though honestly... I kind of regret my design choices as it is hard on the eyes. Oh well.

---

And then, when things were just kind of chugging along, this happened:

Oh-kay, this guy again. I should note that 'Holy Rogue' is the title granted by this character's assumption of the head priest of The Depressed Denomination, our local chapter of the cult of Damol. I think - it is still unclear how these faiths are intertwined.

However, his artifact was a paltry cloth sandal, and of little interest.

---

Uhm, at some point, this happened:

It was some kind of hairy leech. Gross. Our military was quick, I didn't even station them!

---

Ok. The completed pumpstack (large gif ahead? or imgur autoconverts filetype, so nvrmind. . )

This brings water up to a rather crude (entirely unfinished) exit pipe, where the fluid cascades below into the pond area, surrounding my completed golden spiral tower to the dark god Damol.

I should say, Tobul's golden spiral tower to the dark god Damol, since it was this Tobul who commissioned it.

Also, this golden spiral does not reach the clouds. It ... became tedious, building it as I had chosen to, and so even though it stands and impressive 23 z-levels tall, which is technically much taller than the other towers, the absolute height of this golden spiral is, well, much shorter than many of the previous towers.

Tobul is a strange dwarf and I would suggest against doing any further business with him. Letting his cult run about is bad enough, no need to encourage him any further...

---

Here is the save: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15799

I do want to give a tip to future overseers: Save us all a headache and try to retrofit existing rooms into new purposes, before you go and build something entirely new, since an overabundance of rooms serving essentially the same purpose leads to confusion and hauling labor later on.

That being said... there is still a lot of fresh rock to crack open. So have at it lads

---

BONUS IMAGE completed royal chambers, with piles of large gems:

But, what's that in the bottom right corner? Isn't it a little  . . . convenient . . . that the pump stack runs right past the King's chambers? huh? what's up with that? who would have made that happen . .
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 08:54:31 pm by Salmeuk »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You have been added to the list, Mobbstar. May you carve your dreams from the stone beneath!

Things of note:

Caverns remain open, only blocked by a few doors.

The pump stack has a power cutoff at the top.  As a safety feature it only draws water than has been pumped via dwarfpower into the holding chamber. You could modify this if you need a more constant flow.

The lake is full, and if you add more water without upping the walls on the golden spiral .  . disaster. be warned lol

edit2: yup. here is a video of the stonesense visualization of the current tower assemblage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr3ELwfF9mc
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 09:26:32 pm by Salmeuk »

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile

My tower doesn't really look like a tower in 3D lmao. With DF's non-euclidean geometry it may well be though.

Good to see the army lads turning into masters and slaying beasts. Would be a lot better if the swordsmen had actual metal swords, but what can you do.

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile

Please skip me and put me at the end of the queue.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website

Please skip me and put me at the end of the queue.

Alright, that means I take this turn and you get the next one.  I'll start sometime this week.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website

-=  Fikuk Urdim  =-
       Turn 5: Diplomacy

Greetings, Carnage of Stone!  Your efforts here in Fikuk Urdim are legend back at the old mountainhome.  Me?  Why, I am Alūth Basementconstruct.  Surely you've heard of me before?  The renowned architect!  Planner of the Lastarches Aqueduct!  Visionary of the Colossus of Hallwines!  Genius behind the Hazysabre Multiforge!  ...Nothing?  Oh well, that matters not, for I intend to go above and beyond with my next project!  Literally.  I got word you're building towers, and seeing these marvels inspired me with the urge to pay due contribution.  You won't mind if I hang around for a few days, would you?  While I survey the available resources and landscape, of course!  Do you have cranberry wine?

Oh, this place is a maze!  The first decoration I bestow upon ye is more placards to label rooms with.  M-hm.  Your notion of "learning" where everything is, while temptingly simple, is a burden on the memory and therefore a burden on the soul.  Notes, you say?  Ah, yes.  Too hidden away, too easily overlooked.  These big signs will aid weak-minded visitors, and they will thank you in return!  And you, too, will be thankful when those poor fools refrain from pulling a dangerous lever.

Those elves that are visiting right now...  They are so graceful!  And their beasts?  Imposing!  You were hoping they'd bring giant war animals?  Perhaps they would, if we could improve relations...  Gasp!  That's it!  I know the tower design!

(Editors note: The "gasp" was not an interjection, but rather spoken verbatim.)

So, elves like trees, right?  We'll give them a mighty mammoth of a tree!  Here, among the forest.  Oh, ease up, the elves will love it!  Bricks?  No!  We'll construct the tree tower with authentic wood, straight from this mountainside. 

This will do nicely.  Let's set the foundation!  Roots?  Why would we need roots?  Nobody sees those!

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Would you look at that!  More labourers for the construction.  Splendid!  Oh, they worship Amsir?  The god of animals originating from the human kingdom...  God of hunt, yes yes.  Either way, we can grant them a temple right here in the new construction.  Yes, while work is on-going.  We could give them that spectacular star-ruby altar the elves gifted us.  This is perfect!

Dastot Ungņbcerol is having a strange mood?  I'd love some artifact pie just about now, haha!  Oh, apologies!  I forgot that ordinary dwarves consider this a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.  Very well, the swordsdwarf shall have all the finest materials their scintillation of wit desires!

So you want to get across the cavern lake?  A plain bridge would be so distasteful.  Dig over these towercaps and let them be your bridge!  That will be gorgeous.  Indeed indeed, and efficient, you're right.  Why do you want to get there?  Copper ore...  Oh, I've changed plans.  We won't use cop-  Easy!  Calm down.  You can use the copper for other things.  Certainly, this endeavour will bring plenty of great benefits to the fortress.

Help!  I am injured!  ...No, I was unaware of Maga Quadtedush's re-emergence.  You put it down without casualties?  Good, then you can treat my wounds.  Look, a most vile splinter!  Oh agony!  Yes, we need a hospital for this.  Tap into that waterline for a closer well, while we're at it.  I'm tired of walking to the caverns every time.  Why, you misunderstand.  This is essential for assuring a swift, safe, and hygienic medical response.

Wait, what did you just say?  "Holy cactus"?  I will not receive surgery with such bizarre implements!  ...That's the title for the new priesthood, I see.  Why are all the doctors in this fortress priests, anyways?  Oh well.

Hm, leaves are not a particularly good building material.  Do you think we could use green blocks instead?  Oh, yes, structural integrity, load bearing, yes yes of course.  I'll see towards outfitting the foundation with support struts.  Yes, the branches, that's what I just said.  Don't you worry about the architecture details, that's what architects are for.

By the way, did you meet the new visitor?  A charming goblin called Snatcher.  She came to cheer up our children, how kind!  But there is not a single minor here, so she tells stories at the Gilded Sugar instead.

Elves like archery, so we should use this tower for marksdwarf practise.  Combination shooting gallery and raised hide.  Truly, my innovative brilliance knows no bound!  Well, of course I am well aware this fortress has no marksdwarves yet.  That's what the practise area is needed for, you see?

What about this wood?  Leftover, I see.  Yes, my intelligent design has saved us a lot of resources after all.  Several lots of it, even.  A prime opportunity to carve out and stock up on goblets, crutches, splints, and so on!  And even then we have enough left for... hm... burning, I suppose.  It might come in handy for future constructions.  Only time can tell.

Oh, how wonderful!  Truly magnifique!  Lo and behold, dwarves of Fikuk Urdim, for you have assembled your magnus opum.  To think you were worried about the branches being "accessories beyond reason".  Heh.  This tower, Dįkurdim Umel Babin, Treetower the Nurture of Friends, shall certainly lift hearts and spark a firm alliance.  Alas, I shant bear witness, for I must take leave soon!  The Mountain Halls of Vaultdrum had lost their tavern in a siege.  Another situation that calls for the great and renowned Alūth Basementconstruct!  Such is the life of noble geniuses.  Farewell, my friends- nay, my brethren!  May we meet again some fateful day!

DFFD - Download

(Edit: using different image source; if you read this, i did a history preservation for YOU!)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 03:39:40 am by Mobbstar »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

haha this is a wonderful turn. it sort of read like... an gigantic in-joke to other dwarves.

Me?  Why, I am Alūth Basementconstruct.  Surely you've heard of me before?  The renowned architect!  Planner of the Lastarches Aqueduct!  Visionary of the Colossus of Hallwines!  Genius behind the Hazysabre Multiforge!  ...Nothing?

probs work on your social media presence if you want recognition. /s

By the way, did you meet the new visitor?  A charming goblin called Snatcher.  She came to cheer up our children, how kind!  But there is not a single minor here, so she tells stories at the Gilded Sugar instead.

An unexpectedly kind turn of events. . . but be careful of small (read:goblin sized) white vans.

And finally, a tower of abstract representation, bringing us into the 20th century in terms of art history. BRILLIANT!!

I will take a turn again, just to keep the ball rolling, though let me reach out to Metruption to see whats up. Also I stole ur map to put in the OP - it's too funny lol
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 03:20:30 pm by Salmeuk »

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile

I can start tonight, going to stream it

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

nice! do you have the link to your twitch (or preferred service)? always curious to see how other people play

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile

twitch.tv/theyflower
I'll probably after start around 7pm est today, maybe a little earlier depending on when I'm done eating dinner.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website

Timezones be cursed!  I can't watch the stream, but I'll put the VOD on later.  Have fun!

Also I stole ur map to put in the OP - it's too funny lol

Go right ahead!  It was supposed to only mark where the new tower is, but then things escalated.  This is a fun fortress all around.

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile

i am live, still need to download the map etc.
https://www.twitch.tv/theyflower

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile

I did not read any of the thread yet, I will not be able to continue any of the storylines.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

to call them storylines is an overstatement (no offense meant, they are more like snippets). but I will say, describing The Golden Spiral honoring the death god Damol the Lord of Thralldom and Misery as "cute" might result in some kind of unwelcome retribution, earthly or otherwise.

vod here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1258683523

edit:16 min in, "I should use the magma! Yeah, lets fucking use the magma!"

oh dear lord, I've heard those words before. . Damol, need you bring us this pain so soon?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 08:21:44 pm by Salmeuk »

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile

Had an issue and am still going, currently using the magma.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4