Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any tips on creating worlds filled with enemies to fight in Adventure Mode?  (Read 5157 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile

Apologies if this is in the wrong board, it's been literal years since I've asked a DF related question.

I keep running into the same issue since all I ever play is Adventure Mode. I create a successful adventurer, very survivable and lethal, but then I start running out of opponents, both bandits and monsters.

In small worlds I create I can find myself suddenly running out of semi megabeasts, night creatures, and bandits, leaving only the absolutely unkillable enemies and Dark Fortresses that kill my FPS. In larger worlds with higher populations, everything's so spread out randomly. After a while, both types of worlds end up feeling "empty", and I have travel huge distances to find anything to fight, or make loops of the singular island that consists of my small DF world.

What are some parameters I can adjust that'll allow me to influence the density of enemies in the world? Not just sites like camps and caves and roving armies, but also wild animal attacks? I find that increasing savagery in normal world gen only seems to increase the chances of finding giant animals, but they're all docile until attacked which doesn't help.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile

Play around with advanced world gen, and choose a medium region, as opposed to island.

You'll likely want to stop the world between 200-to-mid300s, because beyond this necromancers will start taking over, unless you want that. Of course you can somewhat manipulate necro as well.

This is the most you can do without modding. In particular in regard to animals.

Another thing to point out is, if you really like the map generated, and you are good with the numbers of semi/mega, titan etc, you can reuse the world seed and regen the same map, albeit with differences as the world chugs along in time.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Easiest way is throw all settings to the max except end on year 150

Hugely populated world with a variety of many different enemies, but no one force has usually taken the world by that point

hertggf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Increase the number of caves and (semi)megabeasts in worldgen.
Mod in more creatures with [LAIR:SIMPLE_BURROW:100] so the caves won't be so monotonous.
Add the [LITTERSIZE:MIN:MAX] tag to monsters you want to see more of (change the words MIN and MAX to suitably large numbers). Or CLUTCH_SIZE if they lay eggs.
Increase the values in the MAXAGE tag for monsters you want to see more of, and decrease the number in the CHILD tag so they start breeding more quickly.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 01:28:01 pm by hertggf »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Yeah. Pump up those civ, beast, night troll and titan start numbers in advanced worldgen for vanilla. Give it 250ish years and you'll probably have plenty of beasts left. May not have many civilized sites left besides goblins, though...

Now, modding ways, I enjoy adding big semi megabeasts and night trolls with special abilities, weaknesses and strengths. Takes a lot of creativity and time though.

And I remove goblins dark fortresses in favor of cities and make them dependent on food and drink and live as long as dwarves so they're not the predominant civ in and after worldgen.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 02:54:07 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Gavin_319

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I've noticed that this is a real pain myself. Best size is probably medium, you should still be able to jack the monster settings up super high without triggering a collapse of civilization by year 100. Also worth a shot trying a large region and jacking semimegabeasts and megabeasts up to the limit of 100k for each, even if just to see if they still crash worldgen when you push them past 5k or not. Lowering civ numbers and giving the world a population cap might help with general lag but there's nothing that can be done to help the lag in the Dark Fortresses.

Jack numbers of semimegabeasts, megabeasts, and all the other monster or curse types to max, try increasing the desired size of evil regions if you're feeling lucky, and drop civ count to 15-20. Max out both types of cave too, and set them to min size 1 and max size 500. Set worldgen to end on year 300-350 and you should have plenty of necromancers to conquer to power up your adventurer (little tip: dfhack full-heal will allow an intelligent undead to bleed to death for a few turns after application and can be used to easily kill and revive for more powers). For world size start with medium region and if that has fuckups like civilization collapsing before necromancers can rise to power, try for a large world with less civs.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For some fun, change out Goblins for a second race of Humans, with Cities, ect... but who "LIKE" Dark Fortress sites.  The various bad gods will use groups of Evil Humans to wage their wars of conquest.  The Goblins you can leave as is, but without the "Evil" tag on them and without allowing non-goblins to become leaders.  They're still nasty and brutish but tend to keep their populations down with inter-Goblin fighting.

All of this makes the World suddenly have human on human fighting be more fierce as some civs worship "dark gods".  You can replace Goblins with Dwarves as a second Dwarven race for even more fun: Of the two dwarven races in the World, only one is playable, while the other will wage war on your sites followed by big hairy Trolls.  (This makes "Goblin Christmas" more fun too, since everything is Dorf-sized already.)

For more fun, add in a second "evil" version of each race (and a "Good" version of Goblins, with Kobolds and Beast-Men remaining neutral.)

All this will increase your fun in adventure mode as well as stir up several wars among various races as well as civs. 

That said, Medium world (Region or Island), 50 caves, 48 semi-megabeasts and trolls/night creatures and 2 Megabeasts (To possibly create interesting Age names. More than Two and you get "The Age of Three Powers" every single time.)
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii