Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Return journey after a raid takes a long time (repost in correct forum)  (Read 1496 times)

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND

I posted this in the wrong forum earlier, so my apologies.

When I send out a raid, oftentimes the raid party comes back extremely slowly. However long it takes them to travel to their target—which is sometimes longer than I expect already—it seems to take even longer to travel back. I'm talking where the site can be a day or two away and it takes the squads weeks to return. (This is something I've actually witnessed in mission reports.) I've never been able to find any info on why this is.

What I can tell for sure is that this has nothing to do with livestock. If I tell the dwarves to only loot important treasures but nothing else, and not take livestock, they still take a long time to come back. This also seems to happen more as a fortress matures.

Does anyone have insight on why this happens, and if so what might be done about it? I love sending out raids but I hate that they take forever when they're not supposed to.

In the previous thread it was suggested that encumbrance might be an issue, but this happens when my dwarves are told not to loot anything but artifacts and even when they return empty-handed. It isn't squad size because it happens at any size. It can't be a matter of the slowest dwarf because they're only slow one way. It isn't the terrain because they're always slower on the return journey, never on the way there, which shouldn't be possible; and also return journeys that were not slow in the past from the same site can become slow later on in the game.