Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Standard RTD rules and "rolling to dodge"  (Read 1551 times)

SystemsTestCanary

• Bay Watcher
  • watching.
    • View Profile
Standard RTD rules and "rolling to dodge"
« on: December 15, 2021, 01:52:46 am »

On this forum, I've come across many lists of the "standard RTD rules", something like this:

Quote from: CARDQUEST
(1 = fail big, 2 = fail small, 3 = mediocre, 4 = good, 5 = great, 6 = too much good)

However, a long time ago in Multiworld Madness, an additional rule was listed as "standard":

Quote from: Multiworld Madness
The GM (Game Master) posts a situation the players are in. The players then post their actions, according to the conditions GM sets. The GM then rolls for the actions' results, and writes them out in his post. Then the players post actions again, ad infinitum.

The action results are defined by a six-sided die roll:
    [1]: Epic Fail. Your efforts only worsened your situation.
    [2]: Fail. Your skills or luck were insufficient.
    [3]: Meager success: The situation didn't improve by as much as you have intended.
    [4]: Success: Your efforts were sufficient to achieve your goal.
    [5]: Epic Success: Your skills and luck have combined to ensure your success.
    [6]: Overshot: Your efforts were more than required for the goal's completion, and your luck is such that unfortunate side-effects are inevitable.

If at any time something threatens a player, that player may make a roll to avoid the threat.

The last roll there was referred as a "dodge roll" or a "roll to dodge." The Multiworld Madness quote is the only place I've seen it listed. If standard, this rule is clearly where RTD got its name from. Why is it not listed as a standard rule anywhere else, for instance the game I quoted first? Is it unused? Is it simply the versus rolls, but assumed to be implicitly assumed and so not listed as a rule?

Also, how does the dodge roll exactly work?
some end in flashes of Gold, some end in Blood, some, in Fire.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Standard RTD rules and "rolling to dodge"
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 02:31:02 am »

Same as the normal roll.  It's implied that you get one roll for your actions, ie, whatever you do, and if something endangers you, you get an additional roll to dodge.

SystemsTestCanary

• Bay Watcher
  • watching.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2021, 03:15:32 am »

Same as the normal roll.  It's implied that you get one roll for your actions, ie, whatever you do, and if something endangers you, you get an additional roll to dodge.

I.e. the roll to dodge is simply a roll for the action "dodge [or whatever reaction is appropriate] this," doesn't need to be compared to the roll of the attacking action or anything?

I ask because I have seen combat involving comparing dice rolls made by the opposing characters and I wasn't sure how that was interpreted or if it had anything to do with "rolling to dodge."

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2021, 03:28:36 am »

It can be done with just one roll.

You can use more than one roll or one roll for each character involved, but you can 'roll to dodge' and just have the character roll alone.

SystemsTestCanary

• Bay Watcher
  • watching.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2021, 03:35:31 am »

It can be done with just one roll.

You can use more than one roll or one roll for each character involved, but you can 'roll to dodge' and just have the character roll alone.

Thanks for the explanation!