Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quippy taunts for the combat log  (Read 1338 times)

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quippy taunts for the combat log
« on: December 15, 2021, 01:37:03 pm »

Quips have specific various conditions, for instance "quipper cuts the leg of opponent" or "quipper stabs opponent in the arm."

Furthermore the uttering of a quip should depend on the personality of the speaker, with quips being uttered more frequently if a person has high values for merriment and eloquence and has low stress.

If the conditions are met, the quip enters the combat log right after the event that trigghered it as something said by the quipper.

They should be rare enough so it feels like sort of special to see on, but not like ultra rare. I'm thinking 1 quip every 100 successfull attacks?

Ideas:

Quip: "Now you can learn how to clap with one hand!" Trigger: Cuts hand off.

"This might hurt your dance moves!" Cuts leg off.

"I guess you can cancel your dentist appointment." Bashes teeth out.

"Be happy I just washed my socks." Kicks person in head.

"Do you mind if I keep this?" Rips body part off and holds it.

"You didn't know hammer time just started?." After scoring hit with war hammer.

"I heard you wanted an [item], so here you go." After scoring archery/throwing attack with [item].

"I can show it to you in slow motion some day." After dodging attack.

"Oh, did that hurt?" After gelding blow.

I think it would be fun to spice the combat log up with some quips, and probably it would create strange effects in some cases.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quippy taunts for the combat log
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 07:25:14 pm »

Good ones.

I would also add other related to opponent's reputation: for exemple, to someone viewed as a very agile person, one could say "This one, you sure will not dodge it!" Likewise, to someone who got already badly hurt by bandits, further bandits could say tht "you will never have any chance with bandits!"
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

BlueManedHawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Does you is not can the have the yet what do it be
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2021, 10:39:12 pm »

I like this idea.

How do i use sigtext properly?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2021, 01:10:48 am »

I'd like to see an entire raw object for quotes. Basically, instead of quotes being hardcoded, they could work like interactions, where a unit could use one whenever certain conditions were met, including unit race, profession, values, personality, and so on. Then, if the quote conditions triggered, they would pull from a list of quotes in the text folder, passing appropriate variables to them when relevant.

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2021, 03:54:53 pm »

I'd like to see an entire raw object for quotes. Basically, instead of quotes being hardcoded, they could work like interactions, where a unit could use one whenever certain conditions were met, including unit race, profession, values, personality, and so on. Then, if the quote conditions triggered, they would pull from a list of quotes in the text folder, passing appropriate variables to them when relevant.

That's even better!

You could also add comments for cases like: Weapons break, you get attacked by a dog, you're fighting a feathered creatured - there's no limit I guess.

I think the language in the game as a general rule is very good, but suffers from being too repetitive and lacking "surprises". I think spicing it up would enhance the story-potential a lot.

If you had a dwarf in fort mode that quipped at a werecreature after chopping his head off, the guy would instantly become special to a lot of people. The same goes for many other situations.

In fort mode you only see the dwarves talking when in combat, so I think the focus should be in combat-related comments first.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2021, 02:02:03 am »

This reminds me of the Black Knight scene from Monty Python:

"'tis but a scratch, I've had worse." After losing an arm

"It's just a flesh wound." After losing both arms

"Alright, we'll call it a draw." After losing both arms and both legs