Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's up with the unused material in the vanilla plump helmet raws?  (Read 1624 times)

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile

Below is the raws for plump helmets, but what I don't understand, is what the deal with the MUSHROOM material is? It's not used in another token (like the SEED, STRUCTURAL and DRINK materials are). so what's going on with it? This is incidentally, the only place in the raws that MUSHROOM_TEMPLATE is used, making it even more mysterious to me.

Code: [Select]
[PLANT:MUSHROOM_HELMET_PLUMP]
[NAME:plump helmet][NAME_PLURAL:plump helmets][ADJ:plump helmet]

Every plant needs a structural material so that the game knows how it behaves when it's alive.

Here the material is added to the plant, using a template from the material file.
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STRUCTURAL:STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:2]
[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:DRINK_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:DRINK]
[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:SEED_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:SEED]

Here the material is marked as the structural material (this could be below the edible tags which come next).  In general, you can use LOCAL_PLANT_MAT|<token>, PLANT_MAT|<plant>|<token>, CREATURE_MAT|<creature>|<token> or INORGANIC|IRON (though the game might hiccup for a while specifically on plants that aren't structurally plants).
[BASIC_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:STRUCTURAL]

We also modify it a bit to make the plant edible.  Any token material can be used here to modify the material that was created from the template.
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[EDIBLE_RAW]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:MUSHROOM:MUSHROOM_TEMPLATE]
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[EDIBLE_RAW]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[PICKED_TILE:6][PICKED_COLOR:5:0:0]
[GROWDUR:300][VALUE:2]

Next we establish an alcohol material in much the same way as the structural material.

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:DRINK:PLANT_ALCOHOL_TEMPLATE]
The material template is just called "alcohol" so we need to give it a proper name.
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen dwarven wine]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:dwarven wine]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:boiling dwarven wine]
We also set a few more numbers to distinguish the alcohol from the template.
[MATERIAL_VALUE:2]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:5:0:0]
[EDIBLE_RAW]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[DRINK:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:DRINK]

The seed material and information is established in a similar fashion.  Other plants (including trees) add materials in the same way, though trees cannot be used at this time with seeds/thread/drink etc.  They just use the TREE tag to obtain a wood material (they also have a structural material for their live form).

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SEED:SEED_TEMPLATE]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:1]
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[SEED:plump helmet spawn:plump helmet spawn:4:0:1:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:SEED]
[SPRING][SUMMER][AUTUMN][WINTER]
[FREQUENCY:100]
[CLUSTERSIZE:5]
[PREFSTRING:rounded tops]
[WET][DRY]
[BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_WATER]
[UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:1:3]
[SHRUB_TILE:58]
[DEAD_SHRUB_TILE:58]
[SHRUB_COLOR:5:0:0]
[DEAD_SHRUB_COLOR:0:0:1]

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: What's up with the unused material in the vanilla plump helmet raws?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 07:50:56 pm »

I don't know, but it appears in DF v0.40.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2021, 05:46:49 am »

Its the [TISSUE:MUSHROOM] for plump helmet men raws. If there were any more kinds of mushroom men, you'd have to over-specify.

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:PH_TISSUE:STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:plump helmet man tissue]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:plump helmet man tissue]
[STATE_NAME:LIQUID:melted plump helmet man tissue]
[STATE_ADJ:LIQUID:melted plump helmet man tissue]
[STATE_NAME:GAS:boiling plump helmet man tissue]
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling plump helmet man tissue]
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[EDIBLE_RAW]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[TISSUE:MUSHROOM]
[TISSUE_NAME:plump helmet man tissue:NP]
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:PH_TISSUE]
[MUSCULAR]
[FUNCTIONAL]
[STRUCTURAL]
[RELATIVE_THICKNESS:1]
[CONNECTS]
[TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:MUSHROOM]

Got this info off the wiki, also bundles in the problem that when they die and get cut up, they give 'plumphelmet man plumphelmet man tissue' which I suppose is Mantis worthy. Seperating the stem from the cap tissuewise (on the plant and the creature) would go a far way to help distinguishability and justify it, as most IRL people are only interested in the cap for edible mushrooms as it makes the majority of the meal.

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2021, 06:15:01 am »

Its the [TISSUE:MUSHROOM] for plump helmet men raws. If there were any more kinds of mushroom men, you'd have to over-specify.

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:PH_TISSUE:STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:plump helmet man tissue]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:plump helmet man tissue]
[STATE_NAME:LIQUID:melted plump helmet man tissue]
[STATE_ADJ:LIQUID:melted plump helmet man tissue]
[STATE_NAME:GAS:boiling plump helmet man tissue]
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling plump helmet man tissue]
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[EDIBLE_RAW]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[TISSUE:MUSHROOM]
[TISSUE_NAME:plump helmet man tissue:NP]
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:PH_TISSUE]
[MUSCULAR]
[FUNCTIONAL]
[STRUCTURAL]
[RELATIVE_THICKNESS:1]
[CONNECTS]
[TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:MUSHROOM]

But this isn't the plump helmet plant? The [TISSUE:MUSHROOM] uses the locally defined PH_TISSUE material, which is itself derived from STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE, not from MUSHROOM_TEMPLATE, or STRUCTURAL from plump helmet plants. Really, they're only "plump helmet men" in name, as none of their tissues are actually derived from plump helmets.

The wiki shows with some examples though that you could make them use the actual plump helmet materials, by using [TISSUE_MATERIAL:PLANT_MAT:MUSHROOM_HELMET_PLUMP].

https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Creature_examples

Got this info off the wiki, also bundles in the problem that when they die and get cut up, they give 'plumphelmet man plumphelmet man tissue' which I suppose is Mantis worthy.

That's pretty strange; I thought the `[PREFIX:NONE]` would prevent that problem.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2021, 07:58:05 am »

It’s strange certainly. Did they at some point plan to make more mushrooms? Or give the material to the other fungi already in the game? Did they intend for plump helmets to use it, but then forget to swap out STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE for it? Or is it just there to inspire modders? Unless someone has asked before I imagine only the person who made those raws (one of the Brothers Adams, I have no idea how they divided that work) might know it.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2021, 12:38:53 pm »

I've also wondered about this same thing. I speculated that maybe there was going to be a growth (like a mushroom cap) on plump helmets that could be collected separately, which would use the mushroom template, but it wasn't completed or something? Dunno.

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2021, 02:33:18 pm »

It’s strange certainly. Did they at some point plan to make more mushrooms? Or give the material to the other fungi already in the game? Did they intend for plump helmets to use it, but then forget to swap out STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE for it? Or is it just there to inspire modders? Unless someone has asked before I imagine only the person who made those raws (one of the Brothers Adams, I have no idea how they divided that work) might know it.

Yeah, I think I'll ask in FotF; it's not a big deal or anything, but it's quite curious, and as you say, it seems unlikely we'll find out any other way.