Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: UI for civ screen, petitions  (Read 1062 times)

chipathingy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
UI for civ screen, petitions
« on: December 16, 2021, 06:57:33 pm »

Just saw the video with the updated embark screen and it looks awesome!
I was wondering if it was possible to get a line added to the 'choose civ' part that tells you what race the civ is (or at least what it started as)? Lots of mods have multiple playable races and this would make it easier to choose. I guess I'd suggest this for any case where you are viewing civ information

My second suggestion is to add more information to the petition screen. At the moment it tells you the name and why they want to stay but that's it. It's annoying to then exit this screen, find the visitor in the units menu and view their information before then going back the the petition to accept/deny. Also probably a list of troupe members would be handy

Thanks for reading!
Author of Fantastic Fantasy Fortress (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=180748.0)

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile
Re: UI for civ screen, petitions
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2022, 02:40:28 pm »

I think the major reasons for dwarves being the only playable race are that:

1. It's a game about a dwarven fortress in the title.
2. Other civs do not dig as much as dwarven. Majority of the content in fortress mode comes from excavations. Having them playable in the base game would make some journalists complaining about lack of content. A civ that digs a lot despite not being expert diggers is weird.
3. Goblins are intended to only be playable under certain circumstances and you can't start at their sites. They are the villains.
4. Kobolds suffer from some mental underdevelopment that prevents speech. Imagine having to lead a civilization of creatures who can barely be a part of any culture or create it's own that is more advanced than cave people.
5. Elves are very ecological. Quite the opposite of what it means to have freedom in creating things.
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.