Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Citizen of Rome  (Read 2601 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Citizen of Rome
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2021, 10:02:43 pm »

It is a fact universally acknowledged something something in want of a wife!
Ask daddy to get me a girlfriend, and sell cabbages to buy enough seed to replant the farm next year and, hopefully, a late-season crop like wheat or squash to plant in autumn. Cache leftover funds.

I don't know why I let myself get distracted by this, I'm not even supposed to be here right now

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2021, 10:08:58 pm »

Ask daddy to get me a girlfriend, and sell cabbages to buy enough seed to replant the farm next year and, hopefully, a late-season crop like wheat or squash to plant in autumn. Cache leftover funds.

I don't know why I let myself get distracted by this, I'm not even supposed to be here right now
+1

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2021, 12:09:42 am »

<snip>

Your harvest was nice this season with a crop of about 17,000 lb(each worth 2 silver coins).

<snip>

Where are the silver coins coming from?  You said it was about 700 BC (also, why do you not give the date as 54 AVC?).  However, Rome didn’t start minting silver coins until the 3rd century BCE.  Aes signatum didn’t begin to be minted until the 5th century BCE.  In 54 AVC (700 BCE), one would either have used sheep (or other barter), or rough pieces of bronze (Aes rude).  Also, what denomination are these coins?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

MonkeyMarkMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2021, 12:17:26 am »

<snip>

Your harvest was nice this season with a crop of about 17,000 lb(each worth 2 silver coins).

<snip>

Where are the silver coins coming from?  You said it was about 700 BC (also, why do you not give the date as 54 AVC?).  However, Rome didn’t start minting silver coins until the 3rd century BCE.  Aes signatum didn’t begin to be minted until the 5th century BCE.  In 54 AVC (700 BCE), one would either have used sheep (or other barter), or rough pieces of bronze (Aes rude).  Also, what denomination are these coins?
Right forgot about the silver thing, I meant bronze, the denomination would be the lowest that would be possible(I don't know what that would be in the time of the kings). As far as the date, I did not know that was a dating measurement(I didn't find that in my research). I'll change that all now, thank you.
My Forum game(s):
None for now

Any future games will be simpler in nature, I have a bad habit of biting off more than I can chew. Also hoping for more players in them.

I have Discord for my games now(not necessary to play, tho might be easier to contact me): https://discord.gg/DuaARAZ

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2021, 12:25:05 am »

+1
+1
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2021, 12:29:58 am »

<snip>

<snip>

Right forgot about the silver thing, I meant bronze, the denomination would be the lowest that would be possible(I don't know what that would be in the time of the kings). As far as the date, I did not know that was a dating measurement(I didn't find that in my research). I'll change that all now, thank you.

The first bronze coins (referred to by numismatists as Aes Grave) weren’t minted until the 3rd Century BCE.  I suggest you refer to the material in my previous post about barter and Aes rude (also, in the case of Aes rude,  these would have been traded according to weight as there were no standards for the weight and purity of individual pieces.  You may also want to familiarize yourself with Roman weights and measures).

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2021, 03:09:23 am »

+1
+1
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2021, 09:08:42 pm »

+1
+1
+1
+1
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2021, 10:38:49 pm »

I don’t have any information concerning prices in the early Roman kingdom so I don’t have any proof, but I just can’t shake the feeling that these are some rather expensive cabbages…

Also:

+1
+1
+1
+1
+1

MonkeyMarkMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2021, 11:13:33 pm »

You are Publius of the Patricain family of Valerius, though you go by Brassicarius. You ask you dad to arrange your marriage. He is indifferent to you asking and says that he didn't expect this from you. He will look but it might take a while(50). You and the slave sell the cabbage and purchase enough cabbage seeds to replant next spring and some squash seeds for the autumn. You end up getting 2 sextarius of cabbage seeds costing 3 libra of bronze worth and 1 semimodius of squash seeds costing 13 libra of bronze worth.

Autumn is here and with it the planting squash can commence. You have II herediums(equivalent to 1.248 acres each ) of land 4,234 libra of bronze worth, 2 sextarius of cabbage seeds, 1 semiodius of squash seeds. You have 1 slave(can not work alone). Your family is still working on trying to get you some match options(50% chance).

Do you wish to name your farm, if so what?

choose 2 actions:
-You do not have a wife or heir, this need to be corrected.
--from the plebeians(60% chance of getting married this season)
--let your father arrange some choices for you(20% chance of getting father approved choices for marriage this season to be chosen next season)
Your family is working on it, it would be disrespectful to look on your own out of the family.

-You could do with having more help maintaining your farm maybe you should hire help.
--some Plebs can help(d6 workers)(25 libra of bronze per season per pleb)
--some slaves would be nice(d10 workers)(3d100 libra of bronze per)
--maybe your family could part with some of their workers(5% chance to get d20 workers)(favors to the family)

-make purchases(write in what you wish to purchase in descending priority and you will get what you can afford. Can be combined with getting help)

-plant squash and maintain the farm

-write in

Thanks to A_Curious_Cat for the help on keeping this more accurate. Winter is coming and with it new challenges. Also you family does have its own farm just they did not originally approve of you going the cabbage route but are starting to accept it.

Also sorry if the Roman names are confusing, trying to keep it accurate is a challenge so I need to use them. If you all don't care about accuracy then we can switch to modern equivalents.
My Forum game(s):
None for now

Any future games will be simpler in nature, I have a bad habit of biting off more than I can chew. Also hoping for more players in them.

I have Discord for my games now(not necessary to play, tho might be easier to contact me): https://discord.gg/DuaARAZ

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2021, 11:32:11 pm »

<snip>

Also sorry if the Roman names are confusing, trying to keep it accurate is a challenge so I need to use them. If you all don't care about accuracy then we can switch to modern equivalents.

I care about accuracy.

And speaking about accuracy…

<snip>

You and the slave sell the cabbage and purchase enough cabbage seeds to replant next spring and some squash seeds for the autumn. You end up getting 2 sextarius of cabbage seeds costing 3 libra of bronze worth and 1 semimodius of squash seeds costing 13 libra of bronze worth.

Autumn is here and with it the planting squash can commence. You have II herediums(equivalent to 1.248 acres each ) of land 4,234 libra of bronze worth, 2 sextarius of cabbage seeds, 1 semiodius of squash seeds.

<snip>

How did we obtain these squash seeds before the Colombian Interchange?  Did we swim all the way to North America?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 11:34:10 pm by A_Curious_Cat »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2021, 11:39:46 pm »

How did we obtain these squash seeds before the Colombian Interchange?  Did we swim all the way to North America?
The Solutreans.

Seriously, stop fussing so much! Where I'm from, most gourds are colloquially called squash (the exceptions are actually all part of the American genus, I think), so it could be one of the old world varieties.

Anyway, try to buy more slaves and plant the squash.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 11:43:52 pm by Maximum Spin »

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2021, 12:01:20 am »

The Solutreans.

Seriously, stop fussing so much! Where I'm from, most gourds are colloquially called squash (the exceptions are actually all part of the American genus, I think), so it could be one of the old world varieties.

+1

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

MonkeyMarkMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2021, 12:03:41 am »

<snip>

I care about accuracy.

And speaking about accuracy…

<snip>

You and the slave sell the cabbage and purchase enough cabbage seeds to replant next spring and some squash seeds for the autumn. You end up getting 2 sextarius of cabbage seeds costing 3 libra of bronze worth and 1 semimodius of squash seeds costing 13 libra of bronze worth.

Autumn is here and with it the planting squash can commence. You have II herediums(equivalent to 1.248 acres each ) of land 4,234 libra of bronze worth, 2 sextarius of cabbage seeds, 1 semiodius of squash seeds.

<snip>

I know you care about accuracy.
Like Maximum Spin said colloquially, most things will be colloquial if you would like to have a certain name that is more accurate used let me know what it is and I will us it instead.
My Forum game(s):
None for now

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2021, 12:16:12 am »

The Solutreans.

It’s just that I really dislike glaring inaccuracies…

That being said, the Calabash (AKA bottle gourd) seems like a good fit.  It can be both eaten as a vegetable and used as a bottle.  It looks like it can’t be grown in the autumn in real life, but I think it’d make a better “acceptable break from reality” than winter squashes from the Americas.

An better alternative is Savoy Cabbage.  It’s from Europe and, while I can’t find any information about it being available to the Romans, I also can’t find any information that it wasn’t.  Plush it’s cabbage.

An even better one is Kale.  If I’m reading the article right, not only can it be grown in the autumn and winter, but Romans actually had a variety called “Sabellian Kale”.  Plus it’s a type of cabbage…

In addition there are other “winter greens” such as Chard, Collard Greens, and rapini (all of which could be considered “cabbages”).

And if all else fails, there are autumn and winter varieties of wheat and barley.

Pages: 1 [2] 3