Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Citizen of Rome  (Read 2586 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Citizen of Rome
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2021, 12:35:35 am »

How did we obtain these squash seeds before the Colombian Interchange?  Did we swim all the way to North America?
The Solutreans.

Seriously, stop fussing so much! Where I'm from, most gourds are colloquially called squash (the exceptions are actually all part of the American genus, I think), so it could be one of the old world varieties.

Anyway, try to buy more slaves and plant the squash.

It’s just that I really dislike glaring inaccuracies…

That being said, the Calabash (AKA bottle gourd) seems like a good fit.  It can be both eaten as a vegetable and used as a bottle.  It looks like it can’t be grown in the autumn in real life, but I think it’d make a better “acceptable break from reality” than winter squashes from the Americas.

An better alternative is Savoy Cabbage.  It’s from Europe and, while I can’t find any information about it being available to the Romans, I also can’t find any information that it wasn’t.  Plush it’s cabbage.

An even better one is Kale.  If I’m reading the article right, not only can it be grown in the autumn and winter, but Romans actually had a variety called “Sabellian Kale”.  Plus it’s a type of cabbage…

In addition there are other “winter greens” such as Chard, Collard Greens, and rapini (all of which could be considered “cabbages”).

And if all else fails, there are autumn and winter varieties of wheat and barley.
It's not an inaccuracy, this is clearly just an alternate history where China established trade with the Andes via the pacific islands, slowly spreading American crops to the old world. There's substantial evidence that pacific islanders *did* reach the west coast of the Americas in our timeline, and engaged in trade, but they weren't connected to the mainland.

And yes, there are winter brassicas, which I avoided mentioning on purpose...

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2021, 02:25:14 am »

How did we obtain these squash seeds before the Colombian Interchange?  Did we swim all the way to North America?
The Solutreans.

Seriously, stop fussing so much! Where I'm from, most gourds are colloquially called squash (the exceptions are actually all part of the American genus, I think), so it could be one of the old world varieties.

Anyway, try to buy more slaves and plant the squash.
+1
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

MonkeyMarkMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2021, 11:52:12 pm »

You are Publius of the Patricain family of Valerius, though you go by Brassicarius. Your family is still looking for a proper wife for you(16). When you inquire as to why it is taking longer then your brothers you are told by your father, "Patience Publius, your mother has some contacts she has been bugging." You then go to the slave market with your first slave to buy more slaves. When you get there your slaves asks if you what you plan on doing to keep the growing number of slaves in line. How do you answer him?

After talking with your first slave you purchase 5 more slaves for 106 libra of bronze worth totaling at 530 libra of bronze worth. You then proceed to plant the gourd seeds that you bought and maintain the field. Unfortunately when the first frost comes the plants seem to die. Maybe gourds are not a good autumn plant. You quickly harvest what you can but it is a poor harvest 38.9 modius of gourds harvested. From what you have gathered the going rate for gourds right now is 80 modius of gourds for 1 libra of bronze(right now that would be 1 semis of bronze worth).

Winter is here and with it valuable leasons have been learned, also there is less time in the day for you to do things. You have II herediums(equivalent to 1.248 acres each ) of land 3,704 libra of bronze worth, 2 sextarius of cabbage seeds, 38.9 modius of gourds. You have 6 slave(slave prompt). Your family is still working on trying to get you some match options(66% chance).

Do you wish to name your farm, if so what?

What is your plan for slave organization?

choose 1 actions:
-You do not have a wife or heir, this need to be corrected.
--from the plebeians(60% chance of getting married this season)
--let your father arrange some choices for you(20% chance of getting father approved choices for marriage this season to be chosen next season)
Your family is working on it, it would be disrespectful to look on your own out of the family.

-You could do with having more help maintaining your farm maybe you should hire help.
--some Plebs can help(d6 workers)(25 libra of bronze per season per pleb)
--some slaves would be nice(d10 workers)(3d100 libra of bronze per)
--maybe your family could part with some of their workers(5% chance to get d20 workers)(favors to the family)

-make purchases(write in what you wish to purchase in descending priority and you will get what you can afford. Can be combined with getting help)

-plant squash and maintain the farmYou have noting to plant during winter.

-write in

So I have changed the way food sell, you will get less bronze per modius(now it is 1 libra per 1d10 modius) and can change. Also sorry about the gourds, the dice hate you right now.

Also the slave vote is important and if you are not going to want to name the farm please state no name.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 11:56:02 pm by MonkeyMarkMario »
My Forum game(s):
None for now

Any future games will be simpler in nature, I have a bad habit of biting off more than I can chew. Also hoping for more players in them.

I have Discord for my games now(not necessary to play, tho might be easier to contact me): https://discord.gg/DuaARAZ

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2021, 12:44:49 am »

Also the slave vote is important and if you are not going to want to name the farm please state no name.
Name the farm, Publius's Brassica

To keep the slaves in line, we will use local law enforcement such as it is, a standing bounty for escaped slaves and regular token payment of a percent of the crop to them. 
If they work hard then they can buy there freedom, for the price of a replacement slave.

Buy some more land. 
Have slaves work on the farm.

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2021, 04:35:09 am »

To keep the slaves in line, we will use local law enforcement such as it is, a standing bounty for escaped slaves and regular token payment of a percent of the crop to them. 
If they work hard then they can buy there freedom, for the price of a replacement slave.

Buy some more land. 

+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2021, 07:29:19 am »

Buy some more land. 

+1
+1
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2021, 05:17:09 pm »

No, the name should be "brassicae et accessoria brassicarum Brassicarī".

Obviously, the way you keep slaves in line is by appointing the smartest slaves as manager slaves to manage the others, giving the managers more privileges. Then they'll fight over who will get to be manager, instead of fighting you. Of course you also make sure they are well-fed and housed, at least as much as anyone is. Finally, as the owner of the villa it is our responsibility to provide them with wives and give their children a proper upbringing so they can all hope to become the ancestors of full citizens one day.

As there is no work to do on the farm this season, I propose instead that we purchase some nonperishable food like delicious cheeses to ensure we do not all starve, and look for a good deal on an olive orchard or pasture land to diversify our interests.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2021, 12:57:36 am »

I’m currently torn between Funk and Maximum Spin’s proposals.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2021, 04:05:48 am »

I would've thought you'd at least be swayed by grammatically correct Latin.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2021, 04:26:47 am »

Yes, of course!

Obviously, the way you keep slaves in line is by appointing the smartest slaves as manager slaves to manage the others, giving the managers more privileges. Then they'll fight over who will get to be manager, instead of fighting you. Of course you also make sure they are well-fed and housed, at least as much as anyone is. Finally, as the owner of the villa it is our responsibility to provide them with wives and give their children a proper upbringing so they can all hope to become the ancestors of full citizens one day.

As there is no work to do on the farm this season, I propose instead that we purchase some nonperishable food like delicious cheeses to ensure we do not all starve, and look for a good deal on an olive orchard or pasture land to diversify our interests.
+1

((I’m only just starting to learn Latin.))
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2021, 01:47:25 am »

Yes, of course!

+1

((I’m only just starting to learn Latin.))
+1, maybe lean toward pasture land for the self-replicating-and-mobile aspect?

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b
Pages: 1 2 [3]