Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why geographical names are in elvish?  (Read 1420 times)

Why geographical names are in elvish?
« on: December 24, 2021, 11:33:01 am »

Why world, continent etc. names are in elvish?

What i mean is, let's say the continent name is Big Earth, it's Etagber in dwarven language and Mamosaba in elvish. It is referred to as Mamosaba in all Legends and on the world-creation screen.

Is there any lore-based reason about that?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: Why geographical names are in elvish?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2021, 12:00:49 pm »

It vaire from world to world. Sometimes you have elven names on the continents/realm, sometimes you have dwarven, human, or goblin (? Though I’m not 100% on that one) names. With the worlds being different you can imagine some kind of lore reason, but for now there are no ”canon” to explain it. Maybe there will be sometime in the future.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2021, 01:03:01 pm »

Megabeasts and the likes also have names from a seemingly arbitrarily chosen language each.  For example I currently have a world with the bronze colossus Akmesh Limulzágod Kezat (dwarven), the dragon Fací Ranolirina Ciquara (elven), the roc Ñor Roshadirlu Sol (humen), and the forest titan Tostra Gusloozse Ereg Mot (goblen).

A follow-up question that may be interesting to modders is why only those languages get chosen, and never any of the generated ones (e.g. kobolden).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2021, 04:27:05 am »

Kobold isn't a language, as kobolds are unable to produce intelligible speech and instead produce "utterances", so there are only four real languages.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2021, 07:04:08 am »

Kobold isn't a language, as kobolds are unable to produce intelligible speech and instead produce "utterances", so there are only four real languages.

Alright, maybe kobolden doesn't have a fixed vocabulary, but the wiki provides a different (secret) example that does.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2021, 03:52:56 pm »

It might not be a conscious choice; Could be as simple as that code being older and not updated to include generated languages.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands