Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The art of falling in  (Read 725 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
The art of falling in
« on: December 25, 2021, 04:42:18 pm »

What advice do you have on fallng in with things? Friends, vibes, places... not looking for things but sliding into them.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: The art of falling in
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2021, 04:47:08 pm »

Just know that whatever you gain, you can also lose. Nothing lasts forever.
And that's okay.
Enjoy the time you have, so there are no regrets when it's time to move on.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2021, 11:09:22 pm »

Falling in implies lack of effort, yet it is the appearance of not trying that truly matters.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2021, 11:39:50 pm »

tie the laces of one shoe to the laces of the other shoe
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2021, 02:17:09 am »

Walking down the stairs with your pants around your ankles.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2021, 04:47:22 am »

Only way to fall in is to take the step out
Love, scriver~

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2021, 01:16:10 pm »

As someone who has had trouble falling in with friends or work or hobbies, I have noticed two things that helped:

1) Acquaintances.

Enthusiasm is infectious.
If people you know are infected with enthusiasm, all you have to do in order to get enthusiastic is hang around them and commit to seriously trying what they're enthusiastic about.

2) Say yes.

I hate saying yes.
Nonetheless, the skill of purposefully, deliberately telling myself "no excuses - I will do X at time Y for period Z" helps commit to X and set specific boundaries for an experiment.
At the end of the experiment, I can decide whether I want to continue trying to X.

---

Each of those two alone is not enough to try new things.

If you have acquaintances but let yourself wimp out of what they want to do together, you won't leave your comfort zone.
If you commit to trying new stuff but don't have suggestions from other people, you won't leave your comfort zone.

So only combining the two works for me.

---

For new skills, hobbies or interests, another factor plays a role:

3) Weeding out fear of failure.

Failure is not your personal failing, it's a product of chance.
If you fail, that doesn't mean you are intrinsically bad at something. It means you are unskilled. Or, often, merely that you were unlucky.
We just don't see it that way because our thinking is too biased and noisy to think in a strict statistical manner.

The confirmation bias alone makes us forget dozens or hundreds of failures each of us went through when we were learning to walk, cook or ride a bike.
We only remember failures that have been particularly spectacular. That makes us feel that all failures are embarassing.
We also focus on the way it's easy NOT to fail at things we already know how to do. That makes us feel that failures are not normal.

So, keep that in mind.
Failing more often than 30% of the time is normal: it means the task is sufficiently challenging.
If you fail more often than 80% of the time, it means you could reconsider your learning approach. Maybe break down a complex task into simpler elements and rehearse those one by one.
Succeeding more often than 60% of the time is the red flag that should get you really worried about your approach to learning. Unless you are specifically rehearsing a task you already know how to do in order to build up your muscle memory, a high success rate means you're just doing the easy thing over and over instead of actually learning.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 01:41:02 pm by HmH »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2021, 02:19:43 pm »

Just take every opportunity that appears in front of you. If this isn't happening, go to places where this happens. Know how to listen and tell good stories, you end up brushing shoulders with the strangest of peoples you'd never have known to have met