Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Update DFFD to check info.txt for version changes when uploading new versions  (Read 1815 times)

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile

Something mod authors apparently often forget to do, is update mod version numbers.

With the new plans for an `info.txt` file in mods (after the Steam release), which will store the version number and allow mods to show if they are compatible with previous versions and stuff, this might actually be a slight problem, but it could be solved somewhat by having DFFD check the `info.txt` file when a new version of a mod is being uploaded, to see if it's the same as the old mod (and to give a warning message if it is).

I don't know if the Steam Workshop supports such checks on file uploads, but if it does, it should be done there as well (it would probably actually be even more important there, since it will undoubtedly be more popular than DFFD for mod downloads).

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I must admit, I don't know the DFFD admin's handle, or I would've @'d them myself. Anyway, wrong forum - looks to be better in DF General.

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I must admit, I don't know the DFFD admin's handle, or I would've @'d them myself. Anyway, wrong forum - looks to be better in DF General.

I realize it's usually for the actual game, but there's not exactly a forum for DFFD suggestions. Also, unlike this forum, there is no guarantee Toady would see/read a suggestion made in DF General.

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot

With the new plans for an `info.txt` file in mods (after the Steam release), which will store the version number and allow mods to show if they are compatible with previous versions and stuff, this might actually be a slight problem, but it could be solved somewhat by having DFFD check the `info.txt` file when a new version of a mod is being uploaded, to see if it's the same as the old mod (and to give a warning message if it is).
So your request would be for the DFFD to check if the uploaded file is a zip file, if so unzip it and check for an info.txt file in there, read it if there is one, get the version info from there, and then compare it to the version number they have on the file listing, then notify the uploader in some fashion that it doesn't match or whatever? Probably wouldn't want to automatically update it to match, overriding whatever the person already has for the version number on the file listing.
Hmm. And this all would only be relevant if the mod author remembered to update the info.txt with the new version number but then forgot to change it on the DFFD file listing. And it also would only be relevant if they choose to use the same notation for the version number between the two places.

It would take a fair bit of work and I'm not sure it would really be worth it.
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

and then compare it to the version number they have on the file listing, then notify the uploader in some fashion that it doesn't match or whatever?

No, it would check the version in info.txt and compare it to the version number in the old info.txt, not to the file listing (now that you mention it though, I don't know if it does already, but warning if you upload a new file without changing the file listing version sounds like a good idea too).