Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Queen's Guard: Arx's NaNo-As-A-Serial Project  (Read 1982 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
The Queen's Guard: Arx's NaNo-As-A-Serial Project
« on: December 31, 2021, 03:59:01 am »

So I did NaNoWriMo this year, and didn't quite win because I got too sick to write for the last couple of days but still produced a lot of words. I've been publishing as I write on Royal Road, for great editing justice obviously, and have made it up to ~65k words so far. Figured I'd post it here too, though I'm not around much.

The original one-sentence concept for this was "what happens if you stick Wheel of Time book 1, some Richard Sharpe, and a few pints of German folk rock in a blender?" Then I made a bunch of stuff up, obsessed over realistic details for a bit, hijacked an existing setting from a different story of mine, and started writing without much more than a two-page flowchart outline and a handful of names. It's gone better than I expected.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/48181/the-queens-guard

Lemme know if you check it out and/or have any feedback. It is in many ways... substantially less than perfect. By a lot. But hey, it exists and is like eight to ten times longer than anything else I've written, so I call that good.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: The Queen's Guard: Arx's NaNo-As-A-Serial Project
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 09:45:07 pm »

This is pretty good; I just finished chapter 24.

I'm interested to see how it progresses!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: The Queen's Guard: Arx's NaNo-As-A-Serial Project
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 02:08:44 pm »

Ey, thanks! The first person is a bit experimental but it's working so far. It's definitely not also very helpful for reducing how much of the world I need to have planned in advance to make things fit seamlessly <_<

I'd say I'll try to find the duplicated thing but that would probably not be true >_> It's really hard to edit for those, since I can't just ctrl-f it. But thanks for letting me know!

Writing has slowed down more than it should have with my job starting up again and the weather heating up, but hopefully I'll somehow get myself less sleep-deprived and more inspired soon.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.