Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: 2022 Hot Fresh Reading Challenge Thread  (Read 4981 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 Hot Fresh Reading Challenge Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2022, 01:43:15 pm »

There's a lot of books called Memory and I'm not sure which one you mean.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2022, 01:45:25 pm »

Ngl I thought you were talking about something completely unrelated because I misread everything

*EDIT
And I feel extra foolish
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 01:48:46 pm by Loud Whispers »

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2022, 02:00:12 pm »

Quote from: goodreads review about harrassment architecture
I foresee a new right-wing revolution in our generation, but this isn't the Mein Kampf that could, no, should have brought it about. I wanted this book to be more.

jesus fuck this is some real alt-right poison nazi shit, isn't it

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2022, 10:05:37 pm »

I read a few more books:
All Systems Red (Murderbot Series #1) - Martha Wells
A Memory Called Empire - Arkady Martine
How to Treat Magical Beasts vol. 1 - Kaziya
Gender Queer - Maia Kobabe
The Blue Fox - Sjón

I also DNF'ed a couple books:
Why be Happy? The Japanese Art of Acceptance - Scott Haas
A Long Obedience in the Same Direction: Discipleship in an Instant Society - Eugene H. Petersen

I've finished 11 books so far, which is about in line with the number of weeks we've had so far. Nice !
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2022, 03:36:40 pm »

I finished the second Dresden Files book a few days ago and hope to start the third one soon.  My brother said the second one was his least favorite in the series, and while I'm not sure if I liked it as much as the first I still really enjoyed it despite werewolves not really being my thing.

Looking forward to the next one.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2022, 01:35:07 am »

Finally got around to finishing Estrogeneration by Anthony G. Jay. A very readable book, obviously designed for a lay audience, but it still essentially ended up being a 200-page-long info dump of the various ways you're being poisoned in your everyday life. The book is saved from being a total downer by the author actually providing some actual actionable advice for at least mitigating the problem, even if there are plenty of estrogenics you'll still probably be exposed to which are simply unavoidable. I'd recommend anyone to at least read the last chapter of the book and the appendix, which cover methods to mitigate estrogenics exposure and summarize most of the information in the book on estrogenics and their effects respectively. Or you could just have a nice hot drink sip of a soy latte from your plastic travel mug and chase it with some tap water. Cancer doesn't sound that bad.

As for other books I'm reading:
Harassment Architecture by Mike Ma
Finn Family Moomintroll by Tove Jansson

On hold:
Humans 2.0: Scientific, Philosophical, and Theological Perspectives on Transhumanism by Fazale R. Rana with Kenneth R. Samples
Be Not Afraid by James Ellis
Taxi Driver by Richard Elman
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2022, 04:04:08 pm »

I think I'm going to read Liarmouth by John Waters.
It probably lacks any real literary value, but l haven't read a novel in about a decade, and it looks interesting.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2022, 10:22:14 am »

I'm just going to try to read a book a month for the rest of the year. I've fallen out of reading actual new literature in exchange for reading more about stuff I'm already comfortable with, and I think it's part of why I feel so stagnant and stuck in life at the moment.

Now I just have to hope the library won't charge me too much in fees for that book I never returned...
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2022, 01:17:17 pm »

It's entirely possible they have a fine free month (or have just gone fine free entirely; more than one library out there has, as it tends to actually save money due to increase in returns) if you actually still have the book to return. Late fees often have a cap, too.

... if you don't, and the book is missing, the cost is usually just the price of replacement, which varies on a lot of stuff -- joint I work at, the most common replacement costs are 26-ish and 30 USD (we're initial cost at publication + 10 for processing and whatnot), which isn't exactly cheap, but it's not super backbreaking for most folks, either.

Libraries are also fairly likely to work with you for a payment plan or somethin', and will generally let you read inside regardless (though plague regs may effect that, these days), so, y'know. Options!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2022, 01:21:38 pm »

Libraries are also fairly likely to work with you for a payment plan or somethin', and will generally let you read inside regardless (though plague regs may effect that, these days), so, y'know. Options!

Yes, they took the chains off the books and mostly stopped shoving books in the safe years ago...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2022, 01:27:46 pm »

We only still do that with the expensive and old ones, yes.
Ask not!
Ask!

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2022, 03:51:43 pm »

Last I'd heard they sent a notice saying I owe 100+ dollars that somehow got redirected to my parents - I'm hoping something has changed since then but we'll see in a week or two.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2022, 06:40:54 pm »

Interesting lovecraft discussion, Loud Whispers!

Still aiming for one book a month and have squarely defeated that already.

My goals:

Read 3 emotional books (dramas, romances, tragedies)
Read 3 less-dry science-related books (such as something by Mary Roach or Carl Sagan)
- Skeptics Guide to the Universe - Steven Novella, et al., Why Fish Don't Exist - Lulu Miller (this had very little to do with science or taxonomy. It was an easy and engaging read, though.)

Currently reading: The Emperor of All Maladies, a Biography of Cancer - Siddhartha Mukherjee.
Read 3 books about Chinese history/myth
Read 2 books in Chinese
Read a book from 2021 or 2022.

Mutual Aid - Dean Spade is from 2020, so just missed this.
I also read a book on computer science which was written in an absurd way (using emojis to illustrate points). It was good, but useless as I haven't done any programming. I also forgot the name of it, and have so many programming books on my phone, I have no idea which one it was.

Also read the first 2 Blood Bowl novels. They are stupid and silly and a breeze to blast through. Now on #3, Death Match.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2022, 04:06:27 pm »

I may have chosen poorly with this one book on diplomacy. It is grounded in reality in the most soul-wrenching way. The only thing I found amusing was how often the Foreign Secretary got assimilated by his erstwhile civil servants

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2022, 05:42:40 pm »

I may have chosen poorly with this one book on diplomacy. It is grounded in reality in the most soul-wrenching way. The only thing I found amusing was how often the Foreign Secretary got assimilated by his erstwhile civil servants
... assimilated? Like, uh. Is that autocorrupt hijacking assassinated, or...?
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5