Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: 2022 Hot Fresh Reading Challenge Thread  (Read 4993 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: 2022 Hot Fresh Reading Challenge Thread
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2022, 05:49:15 am »

... assimilated? Like, uh. Is that autocorrupt hijacking assassinated, or...?
Assimilated totally
Like one guy came in as a pacifist Germanophile in favour of low-armament expenditure. After assimilation by the foreign office was anti-German pro-naval arms race
Another came in as a disinterested non-interventionist in favour of a strong navy to ward off the French and Russians. After assimilation by the foreign office he was still pro strong-navy, but advocated for an alliance with the French to transfer the navy into the north sea against the Germans

Also the sheer number of world-changing diplomatic moments which were conducted without much more consideration than "lol banter" is the stuff of nightmares and comedy

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2022, 07:25:15 am »

Okay, that makes more sense than "flesh amalgamation". Not the word I'd use, I think, but I just woke up and most of my time since has been spent wiping a demented old person's ass, so I can't think of the one I would use right now, either.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2022, 09:57:45 am »

Okay, that makes more sense than "flesh amalgamation". Not the word I'd use, I think, but I just woke up and most of my time since has been spent wiping a demented old person's ass, so I can't think of the one I would use right now, either.
The most terrifying flesh amalgam, but at least it wears a snazzy hat

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2022, 08:49:01 pm »

I haven't finished any more books since last time.

I'm about to start a research project with my preferred advisor, which will necessitate a lot more reading and a lot less writing bullshit problem sets out for class. I'm also determined as hell to spend more time reading books that, in their writing, offer me both a future and some dignity. I don't fully know how I'll do this but I'm thinking about keeping a weekly media log.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2022, 12:47:43 am »

Reading Blindsight.  Weird book.  Set in a future on the cusp of a transhuman singularity, with things like a permanent VR "heaven" people voluntarily submit themselves to when they don't feel like living irl anymore, lots of genetic engineering, etc. Earth is suddenly bombarded by millions of little radio transmitters that burn up in the atmosphere in a perfect grid pattern.  A team of various weirdos is assembled to try to make first contact with the aliens.  The main character had half his brain removed to cure his severe epilepsy which has given him this bizarre cognition that makes him practically an alien himself, he can read people like a book, tell their deepest secrets just by the way they move, but also seems to have lost some essential sense of their humanity, he looks at people like they're machines or objects.  Another guy is a vampire, which is maybe the weirdest thing.  In the book vampirism is an ancient apex predator phenotype that went extinct around the dawn of civilization because the vampire brain can't process right angles.  Along with normal vampire stuff like drinking blood and transfixing people by eye contact, they can go into a zero-metabolism hibernation state, basically dying and then resurrecting potentially centuries later, which is necessary for space travel. 

If all the other stuff isn't weird enough, the aliens are weird too.  I haven't gotten too far into the book but

Spoiler: The aliens (click to show/hide)
Shoes...

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2022, 08:43:55 am »

Blindsight is on my list once I finish these bloodbowl novels. A friend recommended it to me as 'this book is weird fuckin sci fi and you'll love it.' Just reading your write up here I'm so excited to get started.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2022, 12:27:39 pm »

I finished it.  It's very good, and very weird.  The aliens are even weirder at first glance.  Probably the most genuinely alien species I've seen in sci-fi while still remaining comprehensible and somewhat believable.

Spoiler: Aliens (click to show/hide)

It also has an interesting thought on the Carl Sagan "spacefaring civilizations must be friendly or they would've destroyed themselves with the technologies required for space flight.  Not a spoiler, it's discussed pretty early, the idea "technology implies belligerence."  Technology, tool use, is a response to a hostile environment, a weapon for forcing the world into more amenable shapes. We build houses because we can't cohabitate with the world as it is. In the book mankind is starting to stagnate because we've reached the plateau where we're no longer under constant survival pressure, people are spending all their time chilling in VR collecting welfare checks while AIs and "bleeding-edgers," people loaded with extreme implants and genetic modifications to the point of barely functioning like humans, do all the work.  The main character's a synthesist, someone who can collect, correlate, and summarize data without actually understanding it (the chinese room metaphor comes up a lot) because the bleeding-edgers are so far beyond baseline humanity that their discoveries border on incomprehensible.  Again the consciousness metaphor there, baseline humanity as an increasingly superfluous rubber-stamping mechanism that doesn't contribute at all to the functioning of the body, just sucks up calories.

That's a tangent, but the point of the idea it's grappling with (not sure if I agree, it's not a polemic, just a hypothesis of what alien life might be like) is that Sagan's enlightened species would not feel the need to travel beyond the stars in the first place. Technology comes from a worldview that sees life as a war against reality, and only species that never lose that worldview will achieve interstellar flight because they're the only ones that will feel like they need to. 

Spoiler: Hence the aliens (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 11:44:53 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2022, 09:41:50 pm »

I actually finished some books this time:

7 deadly sins vol 1
Squire by Sara Alfageeh and Nadia Shammas
Guantanamo Voices: True Accounts from the World's Most Infamous Prison
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei vol 2
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
Zachary Ying and the Dragon Emperor by Xiran Jay Zhao
All Boys Aren't Blue by George M. Johnson
The Magic Fish by Trung Le Nguyen
Galaxy: The Prettiest Star by Jadzia Axelrod

Guantanamo Voices is a graphic novel based on a journalist's interviews of 1 survivors of the prison and 2 a lot of different people who tried, successfully or not, to put wrenches in the machine of the prison's operation. The title is boring compared to the content.

I especially recommend The Magic Fish and The Hate U Give on this list. The first one is really beautiful and the artist's interviews at the end of the book show how deep his thoughts were in constructing a modern fairy tale. The second of these ... well, I read it in two sittings. Of the various things I've read about police brutality this has been the most valuable account in terms of understanding how different pieces of the puzzle interact. It should definitely become a classic of young adult literature.

In the vein of paying attention more broadly to media consumption, here are some things I've finished reading and viewing in the past couple weeks:

Paris is Burning (documentary about ballroom culture in New York City)
Tangerine (fun Christmas movie about a couple of sex worker friends in LA with a happy ending, shot entirely on iPhones)
"Is Paris Burning?" essay by womanist bell hooks
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Season One
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2022, 09:47:37 pm »

I think I have read… 50 or so pages of Dune so far this year? Not even on Arrakis yet.

Evidently being incessantly exhausted is not good for setting time aside for reading.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2022, 04:22:01 am »

his pulpy prose style
it'd be more accurate to say that pulp prose is lovecraftian than lovecraft's prose is pulpy innit
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2022, 04:21:42 pm »

So far I've read 7 of the Dresden Files series this year, which isn't an order of magnitude off from the total number of novels I've read in my life.  Urban fantasy isn't generally my thing, but the books are very interesting and entertaining so they've engaged me regardless.

They've also been inspiring me to write again, which is a big plus.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2022, 04:26:31 pm »

Finished some more books ...

Platinum End vol 1 - 3
Otherworldly Izakaya Nobu vol 1
The Seven Deadly Sins vol 2
Noragami: Stray God vol 1 - 5
Knights of Sidonia vol 1
Heartstopper vol 1 - 3
How to Treat Magical Beasts vol 2
My Alcoholic Escape From Reality
My Wandering Warrior Existence

PET - Akwaeke Ezemi
Mycelium Wassonii - Brian Blomerth
Concrete Rose - Angie Thomas
On the come up - Angie Thomas
A Psalm for the Wild-Built - Becky Chambers
Light From Uncommon Stars - Ryka Aoki

DNF'd: The Long Way to a Small, Angry Plant - Becky Chambers

Highly recommend the Ryka Aoki book, especially to any trans people currently having a bad fucking time. The Angie Thomas books and PET were also really good.

I actually found Becky Chambers' work triggering to read, which was unexpected for me. I think that she writes well; people who like Steven Universe, Ikenfell, and so on would probably like her work. I'll probably read the next Monk and Robot book when it comes in at the library because I love the premise, but I am expecting to have to DNF it as well.

It kind of sucks to be triggered by "cozy" writing that everyone says feels like a warm hug, but I'm used to being a freak ;)

In the vein of paying attention more broadly to media consumption, here are some things I've finished reading and viewing:

Paris is Burning (documentary about ballroom culture in New York City)
Tangerine (fun Christmas movie about a couple of sex worker friends in LA with a happy ending, shot entirely on iPhones)
"Is Paris Burning?" essay by womanist bell hooks
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Season One

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2022, 09:44:48 pm »

TFW it's the end of the year and you realize you've abandoned pretty much all of your reading projects.
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2022, 06:26:40 pm »

I basically stopped reading after that last post, heh. I caught COVID almost immediately afterwards and had to be treated for deteriorating health.

I did OK this year. I'd like to do more general keeping track of media next year and definitely more reading books on targeted topics like I used to, and books in languages other than English. The Light of Uncommon Stars was definitely the year's high point, along with everything by Angie Thomas. Maybe next year will be better.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2022, 09:40:00 pm »

I think I got 10 this year - definitely slowed down the last half of the year. Partially that was book selection. The Emperor of All Maladies and Procedural Storytelling in Game Design were both very slow reads for two very different reasons.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5