Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Flight of the Twelve Behemoths 2022  (Read 5417 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Flight of the Twelve Behemoths 2022
« on: December 31, 2021, 02:01:44 pm »

Hello nerds, it's that time again.

Every year I think of twelve things I want to do that will take planning ahead, and brighten the future. This is less "New Year's Resolution" and more "farmer picking new saplings for the orchard."

I'll put my example in the next post, but this is how it works:
- Spend some time thinking of 12 things you want to do in 2022.
-----> The more concrete these are, the better.
-----> Think about whether you could realistically complete your goals in a year or not. The idea is to motivate you to finish things and plan ahead, and also practice gauging whether your plans are reasonable or not. Done is better than perfect!!
- Write your 12 things in a list format in this thread.
- Post updates as you work on and complete goals. Our purpose is to create an environment in which we grow together, for a year.

You can see last year's thread here.

(If you wanna do a fractional-Behemoth, that is between 3 and 12 goals you intend to regularly check in on throughout the year, that's also fine.)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flight of the Twelve Behemoths 2022
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2022, 02:04:02 am »

Behemoths

1. Pass analysis preliminary exam.
2. Clear algebra and analysis incompletes.
3. Prepare for and pass JLPT N1.
4. Apply to 8 opportunities I don't feel I'm sure of getting.

5. Keep a journal.
6. Depression treatment with magnets.
7. Full Moon Teas
8. Martial arts practice. Goal is to regularly practice 4x weekly by the end of the year.

9. Continue to downsize possessions.
10. Reading goals (see the Hot Fresh Reading Challenge)
11. Tithe 10% again this year and consistently volunteer three hours per month.
12. New Year Cards
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2022, 08:03:04 pm »

Oop posted in the wrong thread.

Aight I don't usually do New Year resolutions but since this coincides with me being anxious about getting prediabetes and changing up my diet, I might as well...

1. Work my way up to 150 minutes of moderate exercise a week. I already have been doing enough of that this holiday, but we'll see about when I actually need to do university stuff too.
2. Memorize 12 poems. They might all be my girlfriend's because I am gay.
3. Stretch my hands at least 12 times a week for at least 3 weeks in a row.
4. Learn the basics of Aikido. Not sure what this entails. Will update this goal later.
5. Learn some basic shadow boxing. Not sure how much I can accomplish without in-person training, but I really want to get around to learning how to throw a real punch.
6. Make my first game in Unity. Uuuuuugh. I don't mind the programming, and designing, but I hate wrestling with the UI.
7. Read the whole forensics medicine textbook I have, because while it likely won't come up in any upcoming examinations ever, I feel like I should know more about my career goal.
8. Read Higher Topos Theory? I'm not sure if I can actually do this, but eh, I could at least knock down some prerequisite background I need to understand it hopefully.
9. Like, actually sit down and draw a complete lineart. Maybe twelve.
10. Learn enough about stocks that I actually know how to invest in them. I can feel my mental health deteriorating every time I look directly into capitalism, but I, unfortunately, have to manage my family assets at some point, and I doubt the revolution will come soon enough to free me from that.
11. Read the five philosophy books recommended here, and then I guess I could consider reading the old books later.
12. Read the 2 Classics of Marxism compilations. It's honestly embarrassing that I haven't gotten around to that.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2022, 12:06:05 am »

PTW. Gotta remain up-to-date of all Vector-achieving-goals news.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2022, 12:21:35 am »

Let's see what we can do this year. Intention is to bring the loftiness of the goals down by making them steady monthly targets.

1) Comptia Security+ certification just so I can say I finally got one. I'm okay swearing off the security career in general if software testing holds fine, but I've studied too much for this particular cert to let it get away.
2) Join another major user project as volunteer QA/testing. I'm an accredited tester for a major overhaul mod of some zombie game already, up to and including following a bug tracker and reporting. This is deeply gratifying to me and probably excellent resume ammunition if I want to do testing for something that isn't sales software.
3) Write another game mod or two. I've dabbled in Noita and Factorio and contributed to the communities therein. I'm not much of a coder, but fortunately particularly for Noita, I don't need to be.
4) Write another 24 game reviews on Steam. That's two a month. Potentially good for a resume if I need to demonstrate that I can write/put thoughts together/understand genre tropes/etc, generally good for being passionate about things I enjoyed.
5) Stream twice a month. Forget the follower count of last year. I'm going to get in the practice of at least twice a month, for myself, and for a good friend that loves watching.
6) Volunteer somewhere. I helped out at an animal shelter in the great Before Times when my job felt directionless and stale. With the whole work-from-home thing again, there's a very real chance I could feel that way again. Volunteering helped.
7) Learn about local elections and stay abreast of ones I can vote in. Complacency is where the nation's trouble festers and rots. Gotta do my part.
8 ) Go metal detecting or magnet fishing ten times this year. Double points for bringing a friend. Maybe it's dumb to be setting goals to exercise a hobby I enjoy, but pulling metal garbage out of bodies of water is a small kindness to the environment.
9) Listen to 36 new albums. That's three a month. Report here if I feel like sharing. I think my musical tastes were like five bands all through 2021, expanding is good. Plus I've got a few boxes of records that I've never spun and ought to.
10) Participate in the Hot Fresh Reading Challenge thread. Not gonna set a quantity of books here, but I do want to discuss what's been read or take reading suggestions from others.
11) Go on a road trip. Drive out to see my friend while he's working his seasonal job or something. Camp out of my car, maybe use that hammock I found secondhand.
12) TBD - Get some more houseplants, maybe?

A little bit of old, a little bit of new. Striving for self-improvement primarily through involvement/engagement in new stuff. Leaning into my passion for videogames while setting also setting goals that are totally estranged from them. They still feel a little perhaps like vanity goals, but I think I'd be better for hitting them.

Thanks for running the thread, Vec.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 12:40:15 am by None »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 12:30:11 am »

Hmm... Less confident in this than the reading challenge, but lets give it a shot:

Heatlh:
1. Sign up for Chinese classes. If I want to reach further fluency, grammar is becoming a limiting hurdle.
2. Maintain a reasonable diet. This cycle of binging and cutting is not good.
3. Cook with an oven (this is harder than you might think) and introduce my wife and child to casseroles.
4. Slay the Great Wyrm: Caffeine. You can still enjoy a coffee, but you shouldn't need 2 cups a day to survive.
5. Re-learn how to lift. Most of what you learned was in University, and almost certainly not based on evidence. Learn proper form and practice it (every week?).
6. See a psychiatrist/take some therapy. It'll be good for you.

Accomplishments:
7. Finish all the code.golf challenges, even if your score isn't very good.
8. Eat something you grew.
9. Drink something you brew.
10. Make another game, then do a gamejam or two. Also begin seriously working on a /bigger/ game.
11. Find a hobby to share with the wife (you know...like bird-watching or something)
12. De-radicalize a family-member (aim for the stars and if you miss, you'll land in the eternal vacuum of space!)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 08:06:28 am »

OK, I didn't know the reading goals thread was its own thing, so I'll rearrange some stuffs. Gonna mainly put in sidequests since mediacl school is already its own all-consuming endeavor.

• Work my way up to 150 minutes of moderate exercise a week. I already have been doing enough of that this holiday, but we'll see about when I actually need to do university stuff too.
  • Stretch my hands at least twice a day.
  • Learn the basics of Aikido. Not sure what this entails. Will update this goal later.
  • Learn some basic shadow boxing. Not sure how much I can accomplish without in-person training, but I really want to get around to learning how to throw a real punch.
  • Make my first game in Unity. Uuuuuugh. I don't mind the programming, and designing, but I hate wrestling with the UI.
  • Like, actually sit down and draw a complete lineart. Maybe twelve. Pretty sure I drew less than that in 2021.
  • Learn enough about stocks that I actually know how to invest in them. I can feel my mental health deteriorating every time I look directly into capitalism, but I, unfortunately, have to manage my family assets at some point, and I doubt the revolution will come soon enough to free me from that.
  • Reading goals. Probably counts as 3 behemoths, but my behemoths are relatively tiny anyways.
  • Learn R programming
  • Join a local fighting game community, if I can find one.
  • Get my German Duolingo lessons golden up to Unit 3, that's 25 lessons, so I need to make 2 lessons gold a month. Not sure if I got that? But I'd settle with half.
  • Finish the Art History course.
That's... a lot of learning, actually.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 08:23:08 pm by hops »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2022, 04:51:00 am »

Quick & Dirty 2022 list
1) Revise List throughout year
2) Increase billing
3) Save Money
4) Lose weight target 180 lbs
5) Purchase at least one newish computer
6) Engage in one formal dating experience with the opposite sex
7) Runnish a Half-Marathon (unofficially is fine)
8) Read 3 books
9) Write a new short story and/or edit.compile an existing one
10) Update wardrobe with one newish suit
11) Continue saving for sis to get married.
12) Clean, service, and fire some of these cool guns staring at me.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2022, 10:57:53 pm »

Know what, I've looked at these threads for several years but never had the goolies to actually commit to making a list. Let's change that, I think, even if I only end up doing a fractional behemoth.

1. Practice some form of qigong or internal kung fu every day this year, or as close as I can manage. The occasional day missed is fine, but no big stretches without anything.
2. Get better at fingertip pushups. Ideally be able to do 50 in a single set.
3. Finish the current arc of my quest and start the next one. Be more consistent with updates, dammit.
4. Put effort towards learning another language - Czech or Chinese, either is fine.
5. Get therapy (again). Address unresolved issues, figure out if I'm actually as autistic as I act, etc. General 'put effort towards continuing to better your mental wellbeing' slot.
6. Write one original, not consciously based off another person or corporation's material thing. A short story, outline and partial draft of a novel, but something other than Warhammer stuff, as much as I love writing about lizardmen. Doesn't even matter if it gets shown to anyone or not.
7. Learn the long form of any style of taijiquan. Whether it's from that dvd or live instruction, just get that done.
8. Attempt to come to an answer about what career path I might like to pursue. At least spend time considering it. Will likely intersect with #5.
9. Make one (1) IRL friend around my age that is actually in local meatspace. Part of getting over chronic detachment from and disaffection towards people at large is making conscious effort to connect with people. This one might be mitigated by covid and/or zuckerberg shenanigans.

Can't really think of any others right now, but I'll update this and/or future posts if I do.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2022, 01:22:43 am »

Really excited about everyone who is trying something new this year.

I made some meaningful progress with my Behemoth 6. I started a second antidepressant yesterday, which is a necessary condition for my insurance to cover the magnetic treatments.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2022, 02:24:45 am »

Best of luck with the second antidepressant. Hope it gets you where you want to go in a safe and expedient way.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2022, 05:55:58 pm »

Bought 1 suit coat, so substantial progress on #10!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2022, 09:00:01 pm »

I also went to my Very First martial arts practice of the year today and paid for an old granny's medication out of pocket (she was at the pharmacy when I was picking up more antidepressants for myself) when her insurance didn't go through.

Progress!!

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2022, 03:56:05 am »

• Work my way up to 150 minutes of moderate exercise a week. I already have been doing enough of that this holiday, but we'll see about when I actually need to do university stuff too.
Well, this one's the one that I'm sticking pretty well to so far.
  • Stretch my hands at least twice a day.
I was sticking well to this too but it was kind of a bit too much and I was worried it'd actually end up fucking up my hands, so I'm going to be less zealous about it and not go the full, deep stretch every time.
  • Learn the basics of Aikido. Not sure what this entails. Will update this goal later.
  • Learn some basic shadow boxing. Not sure how much I can accomplish without in-person training, but I really want to get around to learning how to throw a real punch. Stick to my USMLE study plan
I'm replacing this behemoth with an entirely different one that I just started doing already but didn't put on this list for some reasons, and it's a lot of work too so it deserves to be a behemoth.
  • Make my first game in Unity. Uuuuuugh. I don't mind the programming, and designing, but I hate wrestling with the UI.
  • Like, actually sit down and draw a complete lineart. Maybe twelve. Pretty sure I drew less than that in 2021.
Despite making this deliberately easy, my brain's not cooperating.
  • Learn enough about stocks that I actually know how to invest in them. I can feel my mental health deteriorating every time I look directly into capitalism, but I, unfortunately, have to manage my family assets at some point, and I doubt the revolution will come soon enough to free me from that.
  • Reading goals. Probably counts as 3 behemoths, but my behemoths are relatively tiny anyways.
  • Learn R programming
  • Join a local fighting game community, if I can find one.
  • Get my German Duolingo lessons golden up to Unit 3
This ended up looking incredibly intimidating but after doing the maths, I'm making good progress. It sure doesn't feel like it, though.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2022, 05:39:20 pm »

Figure I'll post an update on these every Sunday or so, that way I can actually remind myself to work on them. Color coding should hopefully be obvious.

1. Practice some form of qigong or internal kung fu every day this year, or as close as I can manage. The occasional day missed is fine, but no big stretches without anything.
Every day so far! Able to hold certain static postures for 13 minutes now, which gives one hell of a workout.
2. Get better at fingertip pushups. Ideally be able to do 50 in a single set.
Eh, kinda. Haven't been doing them every day, but I did a set of 10 today, and I'm gonna try to up that number by 1 every day if possible. Given my current max is around 20, I think that's doable for the first little while at least. Gonna have Popeye wrists by the end of the year.
3. Finish the current arc of my quest and start the next one. Be more consistent with updates, dammit.
Haven't been putting in consistent effort here, though I did get a few hundred more words in. Not gonna call that progress yet.
4. Put effort towards learning another language - Czech or Chinese, either is fine.
Been looking into language apps, but don't have sufficient monies to realistically afford one yet.
5. Get therapy (again). Address unresolved issues, figure out if I'm actually as autistic as I act, etc. General 'put effort towards continuing to better your mental wellbeing' slot.
Poked around at HealthyGamerGG, their stuff seems useful, and a significantly cheaper first option compared to spending however many dollars on an actual therapist.
6. Write one original, not consciously based off another person or corporation's material thing. A short story, outline and partial draft of a novel, but something other than Warhammer stuff, as much as I love writing about lizardmen. Doesn't even matter if it gets shown to anyone or not.
Yeah, nada here.
7. Learn the long form of any style of taijiquan. Whether it's from that dvd or live instruction, just get that done.
No progress on this as of yet, but have confirmed that there's a guy willing to teach me soon.
8. Attempt to come to an answer about what career path I might like to pursue. At least spend time considering it. Will likely intersect with #5.
Pfft
9. Make one (1) IRL friend around my age that is actually in local meatspace. Part of getting over chronic detachment from and disaffection towards people at large is making conscious effort to connect with people. This one might be mitigated by covid and/or zuckerberg shenanigans.
Not quite in line with the wording here, but I did manage to open up video calling with a friend who lives a ways away. Not meatspace, but definitely a step forward socially. Gonna call that progress.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: [1] 2 3 4