Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf weapon/arrmor shop for adventure and fortress mode  (Read 1678 times)

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf weapon/arrmor shop for adventure and fortress mode
« on: January 02, 2022, 08:05:08 am »

I had a recent thread about getting armor sized for animal men in adv mode, and now I ran into basically the same problem for steel weapons in adv mode. You have to sort of hustle around looking for a steel weapon. The methods I found was just looking at the inv of random dwarves in human sites to see if they have steel weapons and then buy them - go into abandoned dwarven forts and scrounge around looking for a pile of steel weapons. (I can't enter populated forts because they kill my FPS.)

For RP it makes little sense - all dwarves are about is making stuff and being greedy, so they should want to sell their rare weapons and armor for a hefty price. And it also doesn't make sense that a well-respected monster-kiling adventurer have no other way than to hustle to get gear. Another RP thing is that your adventureer is always dressed like a hobo, with completely random pieces of scavenged armor and clothes. I'd be cool to get a full set of matching ruby-encrusted steel armor and maybe your logo on the shield.

I propose to introduce a weapon/armor-trading dwarf position that works the same in adv and fort. Order options include selecting encristation by any gem and quality.

The shop guy stands around and visitors can place orders with him for any metal weapon/armor item the game can make and any size of armor. The item(s) should be ready 1 month after the order is placed. The price should be HEFTY as it's a custom order, like 20 times more dwarfbucks than the items would be worth on normal trade screens.

Fort mode:

Place the shop anywhere you want.
There's a chance visitors place an order. Mercenaries and monster hunters should be normal clients.
You should be able to refuse the order, like if you think the guy looks likely to use the weapon to carve your own dwarves,
If you miss the 1 month deadline, you get some penalty. Like it's shamefull for the fort and caravans bring less stuff because you're unreliable. Or the shop guy gets hammered for screwing up his job.
You only get orders for items in the stockpile. So you can only get orders for diamond-encrusted bismuth bronze stuff if you both have bismuth bronze bars plus diamonds stocked up.
IDK what they'd pay with in fortress mode. If they paid in random valuable adventure-person kind of items it could be a cool way in fort mode to get access to some extra ressources. Maybe they even can pay in shells!

Benefits: Effectively creating mandates that make sense, much more then nobles out of nowhere asking for 5 armor stands or whatever. Creates a small source of hard-to-get items.

Adv mode:

The shop must imperatively be located at the top of the fort next to the trade depot, because it's so hard to enter the fort due to FPS.
You should just be able to order anything and the game would produce a diamond-encrusted shield without bothering to check if the fort has diamonds.
The price should be HEFTY.
There should be a one month delay, just to make you wait for it!
It should be depending on rep if they want to sell to you at all - like they need to consider you protector of the weak or brave. And if you kill people from the dwarven civ, they blacklist you from the shop. (They don't want to sell steel weapons to any random lunatic!)

Benefits: It would create a little mini-quest --- doing good deeds to make the dwarves like you, gives you a reason to visit a fort, gives you the task of getting valuable stuff together to pay, gives you an extra option to get gear, makes it easier to play oddly sized animal men.