Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Medieval Dynasty: Help, my wife is an alcoholic  (Read 3445 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Medieval Dynasty: Help, my wife is an alcoholic
« on: January 03, 2022, 12:44:40 pm »

I swear, the next time she guzzles my 370 silver a bottle personal stash of beer, I will take her out into the woods.

But yeah. Pretty nice medieval life sim. Not fast paced, a bit of a grind early game, but once you get villagers working for you it becomes more relaxing.
The graphics are very pretty, but I had to turn them down a notch for smooth gameplay.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 12:47:13 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Medieval Dynasty: Help, my wife is an alcoholic
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 02:27:24 pm »

Got a link?
Never heard of it, but have seen similar games.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 03:44:32 pm »

I kept reading "Medieval dynasty: Help my wife is an altaholic". Which I thought "they never fixed that obscure weird bug?". A long time back I had this bug where every single npc was a clone of each other, no one else had this issue or it was rare if I recall. The bug resulted in no face or body textures either...and no clothes...But I had coffee and re-read it and its just something different lol. I was kinda excited someone else encountered the bug besides me, but no was just something else.

I should install it and play again though. Steam shows last I played was march 2021, and I do remember the bug being fixed at that point or I didnt have it when I started a new game. I am sure there has been a ton of new stuff and changes.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2022, 06:22:28 pm »

My guess is that my specs won't handle it well.  Sorta like how it looks like Mount&Blade in a survival game, but I always like my survival games to be a bit more abstract.
Eh, I think I'll pass for now.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2022, 09:30:00 pm »

Played it before, though I didn't do much in a run started after the 1.0 release. Meant to go back to it, but never found the time.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 08:54:09 am »

I've had it in my radar-list for a while, but I've been cautious about actually getting it because of not knowing how well... Well, I dunno, you know how there was this wave of shitty survival games -- how much it is that repackaged or how much it is an actual attempt to make it's own game.

I'm also not on the clear on whether the "dynasty" part is jusy an arbitrary chosen name word or you actually have to tend your family in-game and then die and inherit and so forth?
Love, scriver~

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2022, 09:48:59 am »

How's it in terms of features nowadays? I bought it back when it was still in EA and thought it was neat but sort of barebones, it kinda surprised me that already some 6 months(and 2~3 major updates) later it was officially released. Even though the developers seem to have not completely given up on it yet, looking at the publisher's other titles I have this feeling they just want to keep churning out half-baked "X dynasty" games instead of funding one single game to a really polished state.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2022, 10:57:01 am »

How's it in terms of features nowadays? I bought it back when it was still in EA and thought it was neat but sort of barebones, it kinda surprised me that already some 6 months(and 2~3 major updates) later it was officially released. Even though the developers seem to have not completely given up on it yet, looking at the publisher's other titles I have this feeling they just want to keep churning out half-baked "X dynasty" games instead of funding one single game to a really polished state.

They have different developers for each of their games. The publisher said something like this (not exact words) "We wanted a "dynasty" franchise". Its still early and coffee hasn't kicked in :P But pretty sure thats pretty similar to what they said. Something that gets them recognized easier or something like that. But no, the medieval dynasty is completely different developers than the farmer dynasty one, just same publisher.

I am curious how the features are now in medieval dynasty. Back in early 2021 it was kinda barebones

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2022, 12:25:07 pm »

They have different developers for each of their games. The publisher said something like this (not exact words) "We wanted a "dynasty" franchise". Its still early and coffee hasn't kicked in :P But pretty sure thats pretty similar to what they said. Something that gets them recognized easier or something like that. But no, the medieval dynasty is completely different developers than the farmer dynasty one, just same publisher.

I am curious how the features are now in medieval dynasty. Back in early 2021 it was kinda barebones
Indeed, I think they have 3~4 different development teams working on their dynasty titles, but the one who did MD has been working on it exclusively so far(I think only Farmer and Lumberjack Dynasty share dev teams).  That's why I found weird how the updates seemed to have slowed down a lot.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2022, 12:34:15 pm »

I'm also not on the clear on whether the "dynasty" part is jusy an arbitrary chosen name word or you actually have to tend your family in-game and then die and inherit and so forth?

The idea is you get a wife, have a child, and when you die, you get to play as your child.
I do think they will still need to do some fiddling and balancing with time mechanics for people to reach the point of dying of old age and inheriting. You start out as a 18 year old, expect about 1 year to pass per rl day playing casually. So it will take you about 20 days at the least to get married, have child, and have child become adult (at 18). But only if you know how to speedrush the early game. I just impregnated my wife, after 7 days of gameplay.
Dying to pass your dynasty to your child shouldn't be to hard though. Just punch a boar and let it kill you or something like that.

The village mechanics part of the game is reasonably content rich but still could use more. I am nowhere near unlocking everything yet though after playing for about a week.

There's various quests and sidequests which will keep you occupied.

I would not call it barebones. I would not call it really deep either, but I am hopeful for more content.

It has replayability value if only for creating villages with different focus at different locations.

I've had it in my radar-list for a while, but I've been cautious about actually getting it because of not knowing how well... Well, I dunno, you know how there was this wave of shitty survival games -- how much it is that repackaged or how much it is an actual attempt to make it's own game.

I do believe they are trying to make their own genre.  Or well, perhaps revive the genre that The Guild series tried to make.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 12:37:36 pm by martinuzz »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2022, 01:00:57 pm »

I do love the concept of the Guild series...
Love, scriver~

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2022, 01:23:27 pm »

first person, survival crafting open world guild?

yes please
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

ZoddTheImmortal

• Bay Watcher
  • Mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2022, 03:23:52 pm »

Yes!! ^^^ to both of those comments

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2022, 10:11:40 am »

Almost had a minor catastrophe.

Got married, brought my wife to my settlement. Spent the rest of autumn and the early part of winter building a new house for us - second tier, stone walls and tile roof. Started freezing a bit because my only cold protection is a felt hat I found on the side of the road. I think they made it easier to build stone houses at the 1.0 release since I could have sworn it required harder-to-acquire resources the last time I played. Insulating the house does, but a stone house has a pretty high insulation already.

Anyways, I finish the house, then notice that my wife's mood is dropping fast. Because we have no water. Nevermind that we live near the river, but I guess chugging river water while bathing in the same river water just isn't good enough for some people. Unfortunately, the Chapter quests(essentially an extended tutorial) do instruct you to build a well - in fact that was my objective at the time - but the steps leading up to that point don't provide enough tech points in farming to unlock it. So I had to hurry to plop down some extra fields and an orchard, which involved removing some trees. Also, you can't hold a torch while holding a shovel or hoe, so the cold is still an issue.

Then I had to rush to craft a bucket, which requires turning a log into planks. Also you can't hold a torch while using a crafting station, and the wood shed and workshop are both open structures, so the cold is still an issue. Finally get a bucket over to the well, fill it, and drop it into our house's storage chest. A few seconds later, my wife is no longer angry at me, crisis averted.

So remember, build a well before you recruit people. Especially since my wife had already drank the remaining booze you get from the starting quest with the castellan's wife.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: [1] 2