Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An Unwelcome Bloodsucker...  (Read 1112 times)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
An Unwelcome Bloodsucker...
« on: January 03, 2022, 01:23:28 pm »

As referenced in my most recent post in the "What's going on in your fortress" thread, I have a problem.

One of my fisherdwarves has been found dead, completely drained of blood.

In order to find the fiend, I sorted the list of citizens in Therapist by migration wave, exported to csv, and imported into a spreadsheet program.  I am currently in the process of checking each entry in Therapist, and deleting corresponding rows in the spreadsheet when inebriation is found.  I'm hoping this will help narrow down the suspects.

On the side, however, I got to thinking:  What if it was a visitor?

I began examining all of the visitors, and found this:

Spoiler: Suspect Number One (click to show/hide)

Do you think this is it?  Or, should  I keep looking?  Also, if this is it, what should I do about it?  I don't have a military or fortress guard (or a hammerer, for that matter), and this person is basically a diplomat...
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An Unwelcome Bloodsucker...
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 01:58:24 pm »

If it is the visitor, you could have seen it when the bastard was announced, as vampires are announced as such (which probably is a bug). That announcement is easily missed, though.

I would trap the suspect between doors (install lots of doors in a corridor and relocate the tavern to the end of it) and probably engineer a cave-in to kill it, although, come to think of it, a drawbridge is probably easier (since they work on vampires, unlike FBs).
If you're squeamish you can keep the bugger locked up and see of the killings stop. If you've caught some undead (animals or from a siege) you could let the bugger out through a path where it would have to pass a chained undead (just seeing one through a wall grate is sufficient, I think, so just releasing the undead from a cage into a locked room with a grate should work). If it gets scared it isn't a vampire, and if it just walks past it is.
You can also wait for the bugger to leave on its own accord, a few dorfs later, and you can also keep a very close watch on it to observe when it attacks its next meal.

Regardless, you should scan your migrants (and triple check your mayor). I believe the wiki has a number of tips on suspicious things to look for. One such thing is a dorf without a room, assuming they're left to select rooms for themselves and you have enough rooms. Vampires don't need to sleep, and so won't claim rooms (but mayors demand rooms as part of the office package, and so can trick you into supplying them with one).

DwarfUli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2022, 03:16:01 pm »

Weird, I was just about to post a question regarding never having any vampires in my worlds? I set "number of vampire curse types" to 20 (it was at 10), but still by custom world according to Legends has no vampire. But not even sure if that affects the number of vampires present.

The wiki talks about the best way to spot a vampire is the fact that they don't die, and hence if you see a migrant who is a dabbling/novice in tons of stuff, that really would take way too much time for a mortal to all take on, you most likely are dealing with a vampire.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 07:56:33 pm »

I’ve just had two children sucked dry in rapid succession.  All three bloodless bodies were found in my dormitory, but again no witnesses.  I checked the thoughts of a metal rafter leaving the scene, but they’ve been inebriated, so they can’t be the vampire.  Also, the human head treasurer wasn’t announced as a vampire.  A miner just arrived to enlarge the dormitory, and I’ve also designated some living quarters for mining.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2022, 03:21:13 am »

Vampires can be inebriated, provided you have staff serving booze in a tavern.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 10:40:56 am »

Vampires can be inebriated, provided you have staff serving booze in a tavern.

I don’t have a poisoner, nor do I have any assistant poisoners.

I’ve also set my tavern and other locations to citizens only and, thus far, no visitors have showed up except for the caravans.  More importantly, no one has tried steal my artifacts yet.

DwarfUli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2022, 10:04:04 pm »

You ever find out the suspect?

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2022, 12:27:21 am »

You ever find out the suspect?

No.  I’ve started a new fort and I’m currently going over the first of three migrants in my first migration wave.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2022, 03:34:33 pm »

I've got a new fort going, and this person showed up in one of the migration waves:

Deg‰l Emuth•nul, "Deg‰l Beakmirror", Ranger   
"I am separated from Zas Growlwalls.  I cannot give in to sadness."
He is grouchy when caught in the rain.  He is content  after putting on a well-crafted item.  He sometimes feels sad at being separated from a loved one. 
He is married to Etur Hammerbraved  and has one child:  Nish Cudgelunited.  He is the son of Melbil Riddledwhipped and RŒsen Watchmined.  He is a worshipper of Moldath Cobaltechoed the Rocks of Silver, an ardent  worshipper of Daros the Taupe and a worshipper of Limƒr. 
He is a citizen of The Elder Razors.  He is a member of The Portentous Glaze.  He is a former member of The Earth  of Distractions.  He is a former member of The Indigo Cult.  He arrived at Rosat•nul on the 16th of Slate in the year 126. 
He is fifty-seven years old, born on the 8th of  Moonstone in the year 69. 
His very long sideburns are braided.  His very long moustache is neatly combed.  His very long beard is arranged in double braids.  His very long  hair is braided.  His somewhat short ears are fuse-lobed.  His slightly hooked nose is extremely long.  His slightly sunken raw umber eyes have large irises.  His hair is raw umber.   His skin is pink. 
He is quite quick to heal and agile, but he is flimsy. 
Deg‰l Emuth•nul likes horn silver, billon, lavender jade, round lime wood  wood, cockatiel leather, grackle tooth, the color olive, squares, shields, dogs for their loyalty and giant grackles for their raucous calls.  When possible, he prefers to consume  flounder, sewer brew and walnuts.  He absolutely detests slugs. 
He has a way with words and a good spatial sense, but he has an iffy sense for music, little  willpower and very bad analytical abilities. 
Like others in his culture, he holds craftsdwarfship to be of the highest ideals and celebrates talented artisans and their  masterworks, has a great deal of respect for the law, greatly prizes loyalty, values family greatly, sees friendship as one of the finer things in life, believes that honesty is a high  ideal, greatly respects artists and their works, really respects those that take the time to master a skill, respects fair-dealing and fair-play, values cooperation, finds merrymaking  and partying worthwhile activities, values martial prowess, values leisure time, respects commerce, values knowledge and finds nature somewhat disturbing.  He personally  believes that hard work is one of the highest ideals and a key to the good life.  He dreams of creating a great work of art. 
He is moved by art and natural beauty,  and he is troubled by this since he dislikes the natural world.  He is often cheerful.  He has a calm demeanor.  He is slow to trust others.  He does not easily fall in love and rarely  develops positive sentiments.  He generally acts impartially and is rarely moved to mercy.  He is brave in the face of imminent danger.  He is somewhat uncomfortable around those that  appear unusual or live differently from himself.  He needs alcohol to get through the working day. 
Overall, he is somewhat focused with satisfied needs.  He is not  distracted after being unable to pray to Moldath Cobaltechoed the Rocks of Silver.  He is not distracted after being unable to pray to Daros the Taupe.  He is not  distracted after being unable to pray to Limƒr.  He is not distracted after being away from people.  He is not distracted after being unoccupied.  He is not  distracted after doing nothing creative.  He is not distracted after leading an unexciting life.  He is not distracted after being unable to acquire something.   He is not distracted after being kept from alcohol.  He is not distracted after a lack of decent meals.  He is not distracted after being unable to fight.   He is not distracted after a lack of trouble-making.  He is not distracted after being unable to argue.  He is unfettered after being extravagant.   He is not distracted after not learning anything.  He is not distracted after being unable to help anybody.  He is not distracted after a lack of abstract  thinking.  He is not distracted after being unable to make merry.  He is not distracted after being unable to admire art.  He is not distracted after being  unable to practice a craft.  He is not distracted after being away from family.  He is not distracted after being away from friends.  He is not distracted  after being unable to practice a martial art.  He is not distracted after being unable to practice a skill.  He is not distracted after being unable to take it easy.   

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.

He doesn't have a lover, and no one with the first name of "Zas" is listed in his relations.

what do you think?

Edit:  Here's his wife:

Etur Nilƒtast, "Etur Hammerbraved", Fisherdwarf   
"I've been rained on.  It makes me so grouchy!"
She is grouchy when caught in the rain.  She sometimes feels sad at  being separated from a loved one. 
She is married to Deg‰l Beakmirror.  She is the daughter of Udil Tuftbooks and •nul Diamonddimpled.  She is a worshipper of Moldath  Cobaltechoed the Rocks of Silver, a worshipper of Limƒr, a worshipper of Daros the Taupe and an ardent worshipper of The Vigorous Savior-Actions. 
She is a citizen of The  Elder Razors.  She is a member of The Portentous Glaze.  She is a former member of The Brave Tome.  She is a former member of The Routed Ring.  She is a former member of The Earth of  Distractions.  She arrived at Rosat•nul on the 16th of Slate in the year 126. 
She is sixty years old, born on the 14th of Moonstone in the year 66. 
Her raw  umber eyes are bulging.  She has an angular chin.  Her nose bridge is slightly convex.  Her ears are somewhat tall.  Her hair is dark taupe.  Her medium-length hair is tied in a pony  tail.  Her skin is pink. 
She is tough, but she is quick to tire and slow to heal. 
Etur Nilƒtast likes dacite, electrum, turquoise, water buffalo hoof,  moon snail shell, llama wool, rope reed fabric, low boots, quivers, weapon racks, bracelets, geese for their formation flying, drunians for their manes, the words of The Pages of  Meandering, the sound of The Bewilderment of Ensorceling and the sight of The Wondrous Sweetness.  When possible, she prefers to consume fire imp, moghopper and pendant amaranth beer.   She absolutely detests flies. 
She has a good memory, but she has a meager ability with social relationships, a shortage of patience, little linguistic ability and  a very bad sense of empathy. 
Like others in her culture, she holds craftsdwarfship to be of the highest ideals and celebrates talented artisans and their masterworks, has a  great deal of respect for the law, greatly prizes loyalty, values family greatly, sees friendship as one of the finer things in life, believes that honesty is a high ideal, greatly  respects artists and their works, really respects those that take the time to master a skill, deeply respects those that work hard at their labors, respects fair-dealing and fair-play,  values cooperation, finds merrymaking and partying worthwhile activities, values martial prowess, respects commerce, values knowledge and finds nature somewhat disturbing.  She  personally finds leisure time wasteful and values self-control.  She dreams of raising a family. 
She would never pass up a chance for a good fistfight.  She forms  strong emotional bonds with others, at times to her detriment.  She desires little for herself in the way of possessions.  She is somewhat quarrelsome, and she is bothered by this since  she values friendship.  She is quite polite.  She generally acts impartially and is rarely moved to mercy.  She is pleased by her own appearance and talents.  She is grateful when  others help her out and tries to return favors.  She has a noticeable lack of perseverance.  She is assertive.  She can easily fall in love or develop positive sentiments.  She does not  easily hate or develop negative feelings.  She often feels lustful.  She tends to be a bit stubborn in changing her mind about things.  She occasionally overindulges, and she is  troubled by this because she values self-control.  She needs alcohol to get through the working day. 
Overall, she is untroubled by unmet needs.  She is not  distracted after being away from people.  She is not distracted after being unoccupied.  She is not distracted after doing nothing creative.  She is not  distracted after leading an unexciting life.  She is not distracted after being kept from alcohol.  She is not distracted after a lack of decent meals.  She  is not distracted after being unable to fight.  She is not distracted after a lack of trouble-making.  She is not distracted after being unable to argue.  She  is not distracted after being unable to be extravagant.  She is not distracted after not learning anything.  She is not distracted after being unable to help anybody.   She is not distracted after a lack of abstract thinking.  She is not distracted after being unable to make merry.  She is not distracted after being unable to  admire art.  She is not distracted after being unable to practice a craft.  She is not distracted after being away from family.  She is not distracted after  being away from friends.  She is not distracted after being unable to practice a martial art.  She is not distracted after being unable to practice a skill.   She is not distracted after being unable to pray to Moldath Cobaltechoed the Rocks of Silver.  She is not distracted after being unable to pray to Limƒr.  She  is not distracted after being unable to pray to Daros the Taupe.  She is not distracted after being unable to pray to The Vigorous Savior-Actions. 

A  short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 04:08:47 pm by A_Curious_Cat »