- 4 (100%)
Pick A New Site
- 0 (0%)
Let it god!  Oh Armok let it GO!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: January 31, 2022, 10:19:04 am

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Abbey of Books - A Autumn Kingdom Succession Fort! Overseers NO LONGER Needed!  (Read 14211 times)

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
Re: Abbey of Books - A Autumn Kingdom Succession Fort!
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2022, 04:09:46 pm »

dorf me as a jeweler! (or a pumpkin carver??)
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2022, 05:00:10 pm »

dorf me as a jeweler! (or a pumpkin carver??)

I am sure if there is anybody alive Salmeuk will be happy to give one of the Pumpkinhead's your name.  Not sure the mines have produced any gems, though.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2022, 05:16:38 am »

dwarfpumpkin'd, luckily a migrant brought some jeweling experience so it was a good time to request. turn update tomorrow - and its a good mix of progress and.. well you will see.

btw, are we allowed to dig deep? I was wondering if there was some rule we were following.. it might be good to limit deep mining so we keep that surface village feel.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 05:18:28 am by Salmeuk »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2022, 05:20:39 am »

That sounds like some additional FUN happened, as such I'd like a pumpkin, skill doesn't matter I'll take what's available.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2022, 06:01:12 am »

dwarfpumpkin'd, luckily a migrant brought some jeweling experience so it was a good time to request. turn update tomorrow - and its a good mix of progress and.. well you will see.

btw, are we allowed to dig deep? I was wondering if there was some rule we were following.. it might be good to limit deep mining so we keep that surface village feel.

Well, I have no problem with digging as long as we stay away from opening any caves.  Forgotten Beast don't really fit the theme.  We really want the stone for public and civic buildings.  Maybe a Town Hall and, of course, a tavern, proper Church, maybe a library.  We are teachers...well..the original were.   :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 06:27:13 am by callisto8413 »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2022, 03:03:28 pm »

Looking forward to the posts, curious to see the state of the village when i get my hands on it.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2022, 10:24:06 pm »

the continued story

After a day or two of huffing and puffing, the wolf left our houses standing. Instead, it chased down our stray donkey, and proceeded to batter it to death with a pair of pants.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Or, at least, it tried to, before passing out from exhaustion. I, Lamlem, was peeking out the barn door at the fight and noticed the opportunity. I screamed and, like clowns from a clown car, everyone ran out from their hiding places and beat the wolf-thing to death.

We really need proper weapons. While I had managed to equip the weaponsmith with the blunderbuss, there was no sign of an attack from him during the scuffle.

With that, the were was done. it was late spring, and two were dead, along with a half-devoured sheep and a maimed donkey. Our turkeys were safe, I suppose . .  we have over 50 poults now, separated into cages according to generation. Our booze is overflowing and the fruit trees show no signs of failing.

It was decided that I, Lamlem Braidhammers, would lead us now. The mason, the architect, and designer of many of these structures, I elected myself to the position on learning of Kelzy's untimely death by wolf fist.

---

Summer arrived, along with migrants.

Cute... we decided to draft some of these pumpkins into the militia and commence full time weapons training. The traders would arrive soon, hopefully with proper gear.

Our second floor rooms have almost been completed. This is a good time to point out how long building takes right now. This can be fixed with more haulers and or better building materials, like blocks. For now - to keep things looking trim I have settled on wood.

Bare of everything except the essential furniture.

Sadly, we cannot easily manufacture windows without sand on this map.

---

The old temple ruins. I feel uneasy walking past this place. We should rebuild, but I have not the urge . . someone else should reclaim this land properly.

One of our unburied (the graves are taking too much time, you see...) has returned as a ghost. One 'Fran', the miner.

We are all shaken by this. Fran likes to hide inside the food barrels and pop out when we go for late night booze runs.

---

The pump house complete, we turned it on, yet this was our first mistake as we had severely underestimated the power of the device.

A muddy wave of streamwater flooded out from the pond, like some kind of unearthly spout.. but we stopped the pump in time to avoid true catastrophe.

Once the mud dried, we had ourselves a nice water feature!

---

Our brethern traders arrived, with just the weapons and tools we were looking for. We also purchased many bags and raw cloth, leathers, and some metal objects to hopefully melt down. A great pumpkin was also purchased, along with a couple of swords and a hammer.

Here is our side of the agreement:

---

A clan of badgers arrived, with many a nasty boar looking to fight:

While I was not present at the time, it was said that the child was oblivious to the hungry, snarling creature as it snuck up around the southern dorm entrances. Before anyone could intervene, it was too late, and though she survived Euph will forever remain armless.

Of particular note is that Euph is the child of Fran, our late miner who was the first to die to the werewolf this past spring, and the very same Fran who has returned as a ghost to haunt our food stocks. The other parents continue to look after Euph's mental wellbeing, though we can only hope for the best after such trauma. Werewolves, badgers, what next?

---

well, another werewolf to be exact about it:

The furry bastard was spotted just west of the new pumphouse. Many a pumpkin is nearby, with only a few doors...

I paused here. The hurt was too much... so much progress, and would it all be lost? I must continue tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 10:29:40 pm by Salmeuk »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2022, 03:46:34 am »

Damn why are we getting another one of those already?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2022, 08:32:29 am »

Ouchie!   Well, just to let you know I won't have access to my computer til Saturday.  But will watch via my phone.  I didn't realize we would have so much trouble with werewolves.... :(

PS - I thought Fran died to the temple accident?   ???
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 08:38:56 am by callisto8413 »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2022, 12:12:12 am »

My mistake - there were two Frans, I think?

Regardless, I will wrap this up and post the save tomorrow.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2022, 01:16:33 pm »

Good luck.  I should called the fort the Abbey of Aaaaggghhhh!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2022, 02:44:22 am »

Winter Wolves

The first to see the were was tonnot, who turned and ran, only to stumble over Callisto into the muddy pond. The werewolf leaped upon the two, but tonnot somehow ducked and dodged and fought back just enough to avoid major pain. Same story with Callisto - however, our diagnoser was not so lucky - the were ripped her vine apart like it was nothing.

Full combat log below:

First, Callisto's narrow escape:

Further dodging and retaliatory punches:

The horrible death of our diagnoser:

Tonnot enters the fight

Eventually. . .

The were was dead, along with another pumpkin, but it could have been much worse. We buried the remains quickly, and continued to work against the looming cold of winter.

---

The quarry roof was removed, allowing for headache-free expansion.. hopefully. there is so much stone I have yet to dig further.

---

Our new squad of weapon wielding full time fighters, lead by Captain Dolph, were ambushed by wild pumpkins. It went as follows:

When they aren't patrolling the wilds, they have taken up training in the new third floor. In order to test their vigilance, we have them sleeping here, underneath a set of stone replicas of the werewolves that attacked us. The idea being, if they can become used to the fearsome form, then fighting against the beasts should prove easy, even commonplace. The statues can be used as training dummies, for advanced practice.

---

In a freak accident involving a mysterious wild creature, a tree, and some piss-poor judgement, our militia captain Dolph ripped off his right arm.. right out of the shoulder socket. Also, his feet were lost, tangled in the tree branches.

He doesn't really talk about it much. We think he fell out of a tree during a particularly impressive maneuver, forgetting how fragile his stem was.

He was retired in full honors, and now helps us build the new temple in honor of Gainhan, the great Frog above us All.

---

A pack of mangy wolves attacked, and both the new pet piglet and Tonnot were involved in the altercation:

---

Fall passed, and so too Winter. More wolves visited, but they steered clear, perhaps smelling the bloodied corpses of the other pack.

Our temple to Gainhan was finished. It could be taller. It could have more furniture. But for now - it was fine.

A new dining room and performance hall:

Finally, some sandbags were traded for and turned into windows for the new offices, intended to be occupied by any new expedition leaders:

Work was done, and my vine-hands dry and cracked. Our community was prepared for a new year, and the temple to Gainhan was in good omen. I, Lamlem, stepped down and let the next pumpkin take power, as is tradition here. 

save here: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15825

PS: I am just now realizing I forgot to 'pumpkinhead'  King Zultan. Next overseer, please do this!!!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 02:46:33 am by Salmeuk »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2022, 03:42:46 am »

Alrighty i just downloaded the save. Lets do this.

Drunken scholar

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2022, 07:51:22 am »

Good luck!  Let's hope for less weres!

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2022, 12:54:29 pm »

Callisto is it okay to use your pumpkin in a writeup?

Drunken scholar
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11