- 4 (100%)
Pick A New Site
- 0 (0%)
Let it god!  Oh Armok let it GO!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: January 31, 2022, 10:19:04 am

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: Abbey of Books - A Autumn Kingdom Succession Fort! Overseers NO LONGER Needed!  (Read 13733 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Abbey of Books - A Autumn Kingdom Succession Fort! Brave Overseers Needed!
« Reply #135 on: February 18, 2022, 12:30:51 pm »

.. any thoughts on how to design a proper siege chokepoint for Zultan? maybe we should go underground with it. I really like how we have a skilled engineer practically for free. and enough wood to churn out masterwork ballistic pieces, so it would be good to make use of.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 18, 2022, 01:16:14 pm »

Maybe set it up so enemies have to go through a maze?  We do have some mines.  We can make a bunch of long tunnels with arrow slots for the ballistics? 
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 19, 2022, 02:13:38 pm »

The state of the burrows below, after connecting to the village center:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

===

Spring and Summer disappeared in a flurry of building. Some migrants arrived, but they will remain unnamed as they were all recruited into various hauling and engraving roles. The burrows below were slowly taking shape:

===

A vile fortress of darkness!

However, only five soldiers arrived. We quickly subdued them with our metal weapons,

though Blunarian suffered a terrible loss with the dismemberment of their right arm.

===

Badgers swimming in the pond. Pests!!

They later ran past our guards and into the burrows, wreaking havoc amongst the workers. Our military was quick to kill, but the bloody results were disheartening to the common folk.

===

Catacombs, necessary but a morbid task to construct:

===

Traders! We acquired quite the haul of steel anvils, weapons, blunderbuss ammo, and all kinds of food. We requested more of the same.

We also scored this sweet axe:

===

The Murky Fellowship finally promoted our temple to, well, a proper temple. Because of their exulation at this event, we gave the local wax worker Urisles the job of head priest.

===

We finally cleaned out the turkey skeletons from the cages left over from the original settlers. The ducks quacked joy and layed eggs! We've got 8 ducklings on the way.

===

badgers raided our burrows, flying past the guards and through the tunneled halls.

I built a well over the old pond, and a cistern underneath. Really quite proud of this. but then... I left the staircase in the way of the bucket. doh. gotta fix that before winter comes.

winter arrives... and literally crashes immediately. thank god for seasonal autosaves

Here is the surface from +1 z level, at the end of my turn:

And below:

This place is really amazing to play. Lots of events and visitors. We could really use some more rooms for our citizens.

file here: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15845

Surprisingly, very little combat on my turn. I had it easy.

bonus images:

filling of the cistern

mortal kombat
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 02:18:35 pm by Salmeuk »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 19, 2022, 08:57:32 pm »

I was planning to do the catacombs as well so this is great planning by you. Will pick up tomorrow and do my turn.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 19, 2022, 09:58:53 pm »

nice. btw - get into the habit of backing up after every large designation spree. or every few ingame days.. trust me you don't want to re-create important events or progress after a crash to desktop. still no idea what the cause is.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 23, 2022, 01:23:49 pm »

You okay AvolitionBrit?  Is the game file causing issues?    :(

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 23, 2022, 06:51:28 pm »

When i opened it for information it seemed fine. Doing my turn tonight as i burn the midnight oil

Drunken scholar

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 23, 2022, 08:51:04 pm »

Prelude

The Abbey of Books report - 255

You will be delighted to know that Salmeuk made for a great interim leader and I agree with you prior letter that we should rotate leaders to ensure that if one of us falls someone is able to take charge of the pieces. The boggies predictable attacked and we eliminated all but one of their force, a human managed to get away. We will be ready for them. How has the outside world fared? I have also attached some proposed plans.

Agent Avo

State of Affairs -255

Agent Avo,

It's good to hear that the squad and the reinforcements have held the place. Mergejoined was sadly lost this year. But could be worse, it seems the boggies main target are the humans, this year. They have lost 5 of their sites. The boggies know what they are doing. They are trying to fully wipe out the continent  and someone is pulling the strings. They reduced attacks on the specters and stranglings whilst they fought it out. There is the last great power,  Miston Hoarysank the Cloudy;who still slumbers. The great titan of the forest could serve as a fearsome weapon against the boggies. It could even fulfill the prophecy upon its death and issue upon us an age of the pumpkinheads. This coming year I want you to take control of the site, build up your skills and cement our foothold in the north.

Your plan has approved.

Best of Luck
The Duke

P:S - Salmeuk, not signing up for another turn?

Drunken scholar

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 24, 2022, 11:24:24 am »

no worries, I will  :] I just want to make sure I have time before I commit.

I wonder how our thin-vined pumpkin warriors will fare, out past the border trails and in the wildlands beyond?

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 24, 2022, 08:41:41 pm »

01-01

Status

Ghosts of the original settlers causing problems, reported amount is roughly four. Need to be laid to rest

Squad needs more training and gear

Useful metals need to be acquired. Good production ready for traders

Deeper exploration for resources.

Watchtower construction

Keep up this commerce in the tavern

12-01
Strangling traders have arrived. Good chance to get more food supplies and new crops. Which went well, got some fruits and nuts as well as a wolf, a deer and a squirrel. Perhaps some animal training can be in order

24-01
All the dead have been laid to rest and we have had a few entertainers asking to join our outpost here. Couldn't hurt, keeps morale up and who knows they might be willing to help us against the boggies.

01-02
A human gunman, Dwilton Purnknienil has been asking around about books. Odd fellow seemed to be looking for something. When a scholar revealed the site has More Monstarys his face lit up. Keeping an eye on this fellow.

03-02
The bottom of the tower has been finished, Dwilton is still around but has not attempted to go to the library. Rumor is he is a known book thief but time will tell if this is true

24-02
The 1st floor of the tower has been finished, the underground has had some chambers dug for possible future production. Not sure.

18-03
We stumbled onto  a gold mine, quite literally. The place is built on gold, and is gonna have to get the level secure before future mining occurs.

16-04
The human traders have arrived whilst the squad return from their raid. We traded alot of useful stuff. Jewels and metals. They didn't have much of them but we got what they had.

01-05
The miners have been digging deeper since the gold in hopes of jewels and they came across something else, an underground cavern a world below. I instructed them to get down there, make a secure outpost. No sure what kinds of creatures can lurk at those depths.

08-06
A king pumpkin has arrived. Is it a good omen?

Kington killed the king pumpkin, this is a good omen for sure.

12-07
Traders from Town hinge have arrived. Lots of metal, time to smelt

02-08
The great pumpkins we just acquired have been wartrained.

13-08
Dwilton came up to me and was honest, it seems like he is working for a  strangling called Jimmyn Saffronstilled. Seems he was tasked to recover the book a year ago and promises that it will enhance the relationship between our two civilizations. I decided any ally against the boggies is a good one and handed them the book.

17-08
A new Hamlet called Reliefblade was formed west of our base. Seems out recent trading has funded another foothold in the north. No sign of boggies either. It's a good omen.

04-10
A great hulking beast made of salt is moving around the cavern, we are heading down to dispatch of it

05-10
Sameluk dispatched the beast with ease.

05-11
Its been a month and we already got another giant beast. Another king pumpkin showed up. Is this double luck?. Our Miner ober, was attacked, the beast ripped her right leg from them. In rage she slammed her pickaxe into its skull. Killing the beast in one clean blow.

28-12

Well my year is coming to the end. We will see who takes over me. If you are reading this. Keep an eye on that Dwilton guy, he is still hanging around with More Monasteries. A hooded figure came and attacked him. Took one of his fingers. Is that book more important than I realised?

https://i.gyazo.com/59fbcb29220224ca3ceb7eccb2af1259.gif
Photos up later and another post on the happenings.

File here: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15849

Drunken scholar

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 24, 2022, 09:05:55 pm »

Agent Avo,

I commend your team on their work, you have supplied us with enough valubles that it financed the forming of a local Hamlet. Should be getting you some useful pumpkins in no time. As for the rest of our civilization. Its one step forward and one step back. We lost Treasuregroves to the boggies, seems they have focused in securing their foothold in the west. The humans have been taking the brunt of the attacks. Keep the progress going.

Duke

Drunken scholar

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 25, 2022, 05:06:38 pm »

04-10
A great hulking beast made of salt is moving around the cavern, we are heading down to dispatch of it

05-10
Sameluk dispatched the beast with ease.

PERFECT! though I am concerned that I end up in so many fights. Despite my skill, I do not believe pumpkin fighters will live very long during protracted engagements. With anything other than a hunk of cognizant salt to fight the results might be veeery different.

Good to hear of the cavern breach and gold. We can finally put some of the charcoal to good use.

Still unsure how to make ammo and whatnot for the guns, is that done at the craft shop like bolts, or . . .?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 25, 2022, 08:05:25 pm »

Picked up the game save and plan to look at it tonight and post something tomorrow to show the state of the settlement.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 26, 2022, 09:16:57 pm »

Chapter One - Granite, Early Spring, 257

First Report
To: King Card Boslojary

Howdy King!  Let me say it is an honor to write to you in this, what I hope, will be the first of many reports.  As you know I am now in charge of the town of Abbey of Books.  Don’t let my Leadership upset.  I am nothing like the last ‘Callisto’.  I will rule this town with an iron fist!  HAHAHA!  Just joking.

When I first took over, in Early Spring, I found a mixture of good and bad things.  We have eighty-three folks, which was good.  But many of the are freeloading visitors.  Which wasn’t that good.  And we seem to have a lot of stuff.  Which was good.  But I don’t have any real numbers just estimates.  Which was bad.  I have asked the Bookkeeper to COUNT what we have and not just guess.

Also I noticed a lot of items dumped outside the walls.  I thought it was garbage but no its just stuff.  At first I was annoyed but I realized the place has been invaded a few times and hauling takes people away from, well, important jobs.  So I’ll have to deal with it.

Also ordered a memorial slab made.  There is a ghost still floating about.  The place is a lot messier than even I realized.  Why did we dig so many tunnels?!?!

I also noticed that we have only one militia squad.  I figure every adult should train.  But, unlike the professionals, they would have to be drilled in tiny groups over the whole year.  Once again, they have important jobs to do.

First thing I ordered was for the miners to work on the gold deposits.  Can never have too much gold.

Then I started working on the training schedule for all the adults.  BUT I did leave out Miners, Woodcutters, Farmers, and Hunters/Rangers.  They are too important to tie up in training.  Those who will join the squads will NOT train during the early season or the late season.  Hands are always needed to sow and reap.  Food is important.

So we have three new squads who have TWO individuals training every third month.  They will train in wrestling.  Unless I can find enough weapons and armour to go around.

Sadly, the head doctor MoonstoneFlower became depressed.  I am not sure if she will be able to recover.  Or even how to help her!

I also have decided to turn down any Petitions that are not related to soldiers.  We have too many citizens already.

I’ve been told that a giant toad and a giant bat have been captured.  I ordered them trained in a room I had dug out.  I think the giant bat can be trained for hunting.

Then, on the 11th of Granite, a King Pumpkin which was named Rey Athkner Mas had come.  Of course called out all the militia and ordered them attack the gigantic thing.

A bunch of idiot visitors got in the way of the King Pumpkin before the militia could show up.

When the militia showed up they killed it easily.  Though it is hard to tell who landed the killing blow.  In the end it was the Doctor, Tan Fornalusex, who killed it.  But she was shaken and missing her right foot and left arm.  So maybe we need a new Doctor?

The wounded were taken to a hospital.  But, for some reason the beds had been claimed and, on top of that, there was another hospital on the floor above it that had not been completed.

I order the third floor hospital completed and the other hospital turned into bedrooms.  Since it was it was  already being used as bedrooms that was simple to do.

Then I found another half-made hospital.  Which I also closed down….as the beds were already occupied. 

In the end the wounded were cared for.  Even if one of the wounded was the Doctor.

By the middle of Granite a strangeling caravan had arrived from Claswoode.  The Broker was told to trade for interesting items and the citizens who told to not bring any wooden items to the Depot.  So mostly clay, brick, and rocks were taken to the Trade Depot.

The traders had no wagons.  Only pack animals.  Which meant they couldn’t carry back much. 

In other words we got fruit and other food related items.   I guess the tunnels and underground chambers were useful after all.  WE have tons of raw rock to sell.

By the 21st of Granite their pack animals had as much as they could carry.  So trade came to an end.

Then the tamed Giant Toad went wild and attacked somebody.  I had to call in a squad.  I also decided to butcher the Giant Bat.  It was well trained but also wounded.   So I figured it would be better off as meat.

And deep down below a citizen was attacked by a wild Giant Bat.  So I ordered one of the reserve squads to deal with it.  Also it turns out Giant Bats can pick up weapons and use them  Who knew?

Not much to add.  At least the Bookkeeper has figured out how to use numbers.

Till my next report,

”Callisto”
30th of Granite,  257

------------------------------------------------------

NOTE : Either my laptop is having issues or this save has become very laggy.  Maybe we have too much stuff, too many visitors, or opening the caverns was a mistake.   Luckily I could leave the computer on.  IT didn't crash yet, though.  But the above work took over nine hours.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 26, 2022, 11:21:00 pm »

Sadly, the head doctor MoonstoneFlower became depressed.  I am not sure if she will be able to recover.  Or even how to help her!

Perhaps we can give them a bunch of easy workshop work, or assign them to militia training? unless she is truly gone. . .

lag sucks. above ground constructions lag quite a bit, as do flyers or climbers pathing. If we could remove a bunch of stone things might move faster.

The fact we cannot use DFhack for cleanup is problematic but not impossible. I used to run non-hack fortresses for years and it just takes diligence in spare item destruction and not digging too many pointless rooms or tunnels, as each new opportunity to path represents ms lost as lag.

Not sure if we noticed, but I created a lever-operated dump pit that can destroy items. It sits outside the southwest walls.

And hey - don't be afraid to say, "too laggy, kick out half the pop and all the visitors, lock the place down." That can save your experience.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 11:22:45 pm by Salmeuk »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11