Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Discussion on Word/Letter Games  (Read 14917 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on Word/Letter Games
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2022, 05:58:08 pm »

First hardmode success for me!

Wordle 206 4/6

⬛⬛🟨⬛⬛
⬛⬛🟩🟩⬛
⬛🟩🟩🟩⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Because I'm very good at words, I tried to make my fourth guess the word
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 05:59:39 pm by Iduno »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2022, 09:09:26 pm »

Do people really find Hard Mode harder?

I view it as the natural way to play-- even with one yellow and four grey letters, you've eliminated a lot of combinations and are usually in a position to make a reasonable deduction, as opposed to not trying for a solution and instead just aiming to determine the status of more letters. You're trading the chance of a win in exchange for 1-4 more letters of information.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2022, 10:55:23 pm »

Same here.
I haven't looked into how to turn on hardmode, but I always keep letters in the same spot once they turn green.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2022, 08:03:47 am »

Today's one didn't have a word from the English language, but I managed to deduce it anyway, thankfully

I view it as the natural way to play-- even with one yellow and four grey letters, you've eliminated a lot of combinations and are usually in a position to make a reasonable deduction, as opposed to not trying for a solution and instead just aiming to determine the status of more letters. You're trading the chance of a win in exchange for 1-4 more letters of information.

I guess it would be harder to come up with five letter words sometimes, but that's how I usually play as well. There was the case above where I broke pattern and used a guide rather than the ??er? I had already revealed because I couldn't think of a word with what I had and wanted hints regarding the remaining unused vowels and that helped me figure out the solution-word with the next guess.
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2022, 08:36:50 am »

It depends on how good the information you get in the first guess is. Today, I have 2 yellows that are somewhere. I can come up with letters based on the first letter easily, and the very last letters somewhat, but "contains this and that" isn't working well.

Edit: 207 5/6*

⬛⬛🟨🟨⬛
⬛🟨🟨⬛⬛
⬛🟩🟨⬛⬛
⬛🟩⬛⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I was able to eliminate a *lot* of letters, but that generally makes the puzzle more frustrating to guess at, not less. At least the keyboard at the bottom shows which letters you've guessed.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 08:44:16 am by Iduno »

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2022, 10:17:34 am »

Wordle 207 5/6

⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟨🟨🟨⬜
🟨⬜⬜🟩🟩
🟨🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Today's one didn't have a word from the English language, but I managed to deduce it anyway, thankfully
Are the words the same for everyone? Because the word I got is definitely an English word.

Spoiler: Possible spoilers (click to show/hide)
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2022, 10:53:22 am »

whew... close one. Locking myself into hard mode definitely made things tougher this time.

Wordle 207 6/6*

⬛🟩🟨⬛⬛
🟨🟩⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟩⬛🟩🟩
⬛🟩⬛🟩🟩
🟨🟩⬛🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2022, 02:32:54 pm »

Are the words the same for everyone? Because the word I got is definitely an English word.

According to somebody else (and what I've seen agrees), the word is based on your system's calendar date. Which means, one of my friends in Europe is always like, "How many tries did it take you to get APPLE this morning?", at my 10PM.  >:(

Edit:
Wow, did that suck. Third word took me maybe 5 minutes to even come up with a word that fit the yellow and green.

⬛⬛🟨🟨⬛
⬛🟩🟨⬛⬛
🟨🟩⬛⬛🟨
🟨🟩⬛🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 02:43:21 pm by Aoi »
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2022, 02:48:57 pm »

Wordle 207 5/6

⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟨🟨🟨⬜
🟨⬜⬜🟩🟩
🟨🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler: Possible spoilers (click to show/hide)

Yeah the english word has six letters
Love, scriver~

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2022, 03:15:42 pm »

Ah yeah that's just a regional spelling difference, then.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2022, 03:33:35 pm »

I missed a day or two due to travel; what word are people referring to?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2022, 03:45:51 pm »

I missed a day or two due to travel; what word are people referring to?

Assuming I'm not mistaken, I'm referring to

Sigtext

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2022, 06:41:30 am »

Jesus christ today was hard. On my last line I couldn't even figure out a single word that fit with my remaining letters so I couldn't even lose successfully! Eventually I just resorted to cheesing it by writing in every single possible combination so I'd at least either find the right word or at least happen upon a word I didn't know existed so I could fail my last try.

Luckily I happened on a word sounding enough like the correct line to rouse it to my memory. But that's half an hour of my life I'm never getting back.
Love, scriver~

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2022, 07:14:36 am »

Yeah, I had to break out the dictionary today.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2022, 03:40:44 pm »

My fourth guess had to use a letter I'd already eliminated, because it was the only way to use the 2 letters I had in a new location (3 guesses got me 2 yellows, 4th guess got me a 3rd yellow) without using other letters I'd already eliminated. No clue what I'm doing with my other 2 guesses. Trying to find 2 consonants that go together without any of the consonants that go in pairs.

Some guesses so far that the game didn't like just because they aren't words, or even close to being words:

It's not like I can just rearrange those to make a word I can even guess. I gave up and just retyped the same word 2 more times. I don't think I'd ever have come up with today's word.

Wordle 208 X/6*

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟨🟨⬛⬛
⬛🟨⬛⬛🟨
⬛🟨⬛🟨🟨
⬛🟨⬛🟨🟨
⬛🟨⬛🟨🟨
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 05:32:04 pm by Iduno »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13