Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Culturally styling body parts other than hair  (Read 1317 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Culturally styling body parts other than hair
« on: January 08, 2022, 01:18:31 pm »

I'm trying to figure out how to make a creature who culturally styles body parts other than hair.  The goal is to create a race of lizard people who maintain human-like proportions while within their own entity, but gradually grow more reptilian if they stop maintaining their appearance or spend a long time as citizens of a different entity, such that it is possible to tell whether they are "outcasts" by looking at their description.

I am trying to do this by making their TOOTH, BONE, and NAIL tissue layers STYLABLE and COSMETIC, and making their teeth, skull, and nails constantly increase in LENGTH, while using entity tokens TL_MAINTAIN_LENGTH to keep them at a particular length.  In theory, this should cause them to have no description on these body parts while they are in their own entity, but develop the descriptors "his teeth, etc. are long" if they are not - just like hair, beards, etc.

Only problem is, the entity styles aren't being applied, and I don't know why.  The growth works, but even inside their entity, all of the specified body parts are always "extremely long".

Spoiler: Creature (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Entity (click to show/hide)

I have even tried adding [TISSUE_STYLE_UNIT:TOOTH:STANDARD_HAIR_SHAPINGS][TSU_NOUN:teeth:PLURAL] along with adding relevant style tokens to the entity just to check if that was necessary, but that didn't help, they didn't try braiding their teeth or anything, just the same "extremely long" description.

Has anyone managed to get this kind of thing to work?

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Culturally styling body parts other than hair
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 06:04:26 pm »

In tissue_template_default.txt, did you add [COSMETIC] and [STYLEABLE] to both [TISSUE_TEMPLATE:SCALE_TEMPLATE] and [TISSUE_TEMPLATE:NAIL_TEMPLATE]?

Ideally, you'd want to make a custom nail and scale template that is used exclusively for these SAURIAN_KOMBATs.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 06:10:13 pm by dikbutdagrate »