Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some questions about becoming a vampire and/or a necromancer  (Read 1161 times)

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some questions about becoming a vampire and/or a necromancer
« on: January 10, 2022, 09:54:11 am »

I have an experiment adventurer, a night creature. Doesn't eat or drink and undead are friendly to her. Can walk into necromancer towers and chill there and ditto for human/elven/dwarven sites.

If I become a vampire and/or a necromancer does this "freeze" my stats so I can't improve them anymore? Like can I train mace from competend to legendary plus even as a vampire and/or necromancer? Can I improve the basic stats like endurance and all the others?

Is there any point in becoming a vampire if I already don't need to eat or drink? As far as I can see what it will do is double my physical stats? That's nice, but not sure if all the stats are then frozen forever and can't change.

Does being any of these change how people react to me? Like will some people attack me more or less?

Does it matter the order you do it in?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Some questions about becoming a vampire and/or a necromancer
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 12:51:21 am »

It will freeze your physical stats, but not your skills. You can continue to train up to legendary, but exercise will not increase your strength/agility/etc.  Some players like to grind their stats first to maximize the benefit.

Vampirization has several benefits, including doubling your strength and especially your speed, adding supernatural resistance to attacks, immunity to pain, exertion, nausea, suffocation, and most detrimental syndrome effects, extravision, and the ability to sense other creatures.

Nobody will know that you are a vampire unless they catch you drinking blood. Be warned that they will turn against you even if you drink blood from their enemies or wild animals.

It does not matter which you do first. Vampires will not generally become necromancers in worldgen, but this is because they no longer fear death from aging and so will be uninterested in the secret, not because they are unable. (In fact I have seen vampire scholars accidentally become necromancers when a necromancy book happened to show up in their local library.) The only exclusive night creature rules in vanilla DF is that you cannot be both a vampire and a werebeast.