Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can Kado Spinwalked save the world?  (Read 796 times)

DwarfUli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can Kado Spinwalked save the world?
« on: January 10, 2022, 02:46:53 pm »

This was really fun and I never had seen this before. I created a small world and it turns out there are only 3 small dorf hamlets left and the rest of the world is being taken over by this female dorf necromancer. The elves act very passively and have stayed out of trouble by hiding deep in the most northern forests but the humans and dorfs are being decimated by this necro. I built two quick forts near her tower and did 4 raids on the tower...this led to me losing most of my dorfs and her getting more undead soldiers. I made two adventurer dorf Heroes to investigate the tower and wasn't even able to get past the first room of undead humans. One of my heroes was whipped to death with a silver chain.

I figured; "Know thy enemy", so I entered Legends Mode and I noticed something I had never seen before; the female dorf necromancer had written a scroll which had the name of another historical figure in the title (that wasn't a forgotten beast or such, just an average human/dorf/elf).

"Can Kado Spinwalked save the world?" (a legendary kakapo scroll). Such a poignant question. Was there hope left for this world? Is there for ours? Who was Kado and would she come through for us all in the end?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now after the necromancer created the scroll, it was not labeled as stored in her tower for 8 years! Does that mean the scroll was in her inventory for 8 years? after which it was stockpiled in the tower? How important was this scroll that it was carried around by its creator for 8 years....You can imagine the RP value I am getting out of this one....You have this necromancer slowly destroying the world around her, and succeeding at it, but she then reanimated the human female poet Kado Spinwalked who died at age 77 of natural age, and several months later the necro writes the scroll with her name in the title. And why did Kogan Guilddrums think Kado might save the world from her necromantic destruction? Especially a mere poet? I assume that Kogan decided Kado indeed could not save the world, and placed the scroll in storage. I, of course, want this scroll more than anything. It has become my sole obsession. I believe it holds great knowledge, and even greater secrets.

All this happened 50ish years ago. Kogan Guilddrums has almost reached her goal of ruling the world. Entering a tower full of undead humans has proven very difficult. Interestingly enough my age contained 3 vampires. One was killed in a vampire purge, but two remain. One of them is the half brother of Kado Spinwalked. His curse might be my only salvation to obtaining the kakapo scroll.

My goal is to create a final hero class adventurer dorf, try and find this vampire so I myself may become an undead dwarven child of the night, and hopefully be able to steal the dozen or so writings of Kogan Guilddrums, from his wretched tower.

Kado Spinwalked has two surviving children. Her son is a respectable bowman, and I hope to find him also and maybe he will join me in my quest. I also need to collect all the poetry written by Kado herself (There are 2 works by her in Legends, and 10 by necro Kogan Guilddrums).

Is it true that in adventure mode you can read necro slabs and become a necromancer? Can this still be done if you are a vampire? If I don't find this vampire (so far, it has not been easy to find him, some local drunks at the tavern know of him but that's about it) can I tip over a statue in a fortress temple to receive the curse? I think I read somewhere that vampires are not attacked by undead, and I should be able to sneak into the tower. 

« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 12:31:41 pm by DwarfUli »

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
Re: Can Kado Spinwalked save the world?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 06:18:21 pm »

PTW, very interesting quest

Is it true that in adventure mode you can read necro slabs and become a necromancer?
Yes, but the adventurer needs to start with some reading skill, at least novice.
can I tip over a statue in a fortress temple to receive the curse?
Yes, but I believe (as of 0.47) this only works if you are a worshipper of the respective deity.  "Casual" might be enough.
I think I read somewhere that vampires are not attacked by undead, and I should be able to sneak into the tower.
Correct.

DwarfUli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can Kado Spinwalked save the world?
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 07:36:57 am »

Thanks Mobbstar. Turns out Kado wrote 2 books, one about the past, present and future (My Friend Jaundices), and another on caves (Rumors and the matched Caves). Interesting thing is that her reanimated corpse is slain 50+ years later, in a cave system by a bleak horror. I figure that the necromancer sought out Kado for her divination powers. She might be some kind of oracle. I am struggling in the war against the necro, but one adjacent square from the tower has a bellowing horror and I hope I can find it, trap it in my fort somehow until the necro raids me again, and somehow introduce the necro army to the bellowing horror  :D

« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 07:51:11 am by DwarfUli »