Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: When did you first find out and start playing Dwarf Fortress??  (Read 3226 times)

bluthru

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
When did you first find out and start playing Dwarf Fortress??
« on: January 11, 2022, 05:21:13 pm »

Hello.  I can't believe I never heard of Dwarf Fortress or played it before until now!!  Just discovered it this month while searching for games having a lot of detail and a google search turned up a wiki of this game.   After giving up over three times at the start of the year I finally got the gist of it and was able to play and lose but had a lot of fun doing.  Since early this month, I haven't stopped playing it and it definitely has NOT gotten boring at all.  The only game that had me gripped for a long time was Civilization and this game has so much more depth and re-playability after I was able to get used to the UI.  I actually appreciate the ACII as it definitely gives a greater challenge but the starter kit with all the mods helps a great deal. 

Just curious how and when people stumbled on this game as I think it is only going to get better with the future Steam release but it is extremely enjoyable to play now.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When did you first find out and start playing Dwarf Fortress??
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 08:05:23 pm »

grats! You are entering into a meta-verse that has existed for almost 20 years now. I began playing back in 2007.

May I suggest you peruse the Hall of Legends?

Or hop on by to the community games subforum and try taking a turn on one of the succession fortresses.

If anything interesting happens to your fortress, say a massacre at the hands of a were-demon, share it! Make a post in the What's Going On in Your Fort? thread.

Any questions feel free to search or ask. The DF wiki is invaluable, but there is plenty of knowledgeable people hanging around at bay12 who are more than willing to suss out what your problem is.

Whatever you do, don't forget - the game is unfinished, there is no wrong way to play, and . . . losing is fun.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 10:34:16 pm »

I first heard about Dwarf Fortress circa 2012, from another student at my high school; it struck me as interesting, but I wasn't impelled to seek it out until late 2014, when I stumbled upon its TVTropes page, and read the various entertaining stories of the game there. Also, I had recently been thinking about how to make a BIONICLE world-simulator game, so I was in the mood for something like DF
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 03:31:12 am »

A friend introduced me. At first, I played adventure mode and did random kinda cringy shit but now I like fort mode more.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 04:12:27 am »

I had heard the usual rumors about a hard and unapproachable game on reddit, and for some reason decided to try it out. This was 5-6 years ago, some time after the ”world activation” release of 0.40, and I’ve been playing it on and off since then.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 05:25:32 am »

First heard about it in 2012 from some crappy gaming article (can't remember from where). The attitude of the article kept me from trying out DF for some time. Couldn't really stand the "oh look, I just discovered rogue-likes and am so cool to play this ASCII game, which is super hard to learn and you need to be super smart to play" style of the writing (as if ASCII rogue-likes were some new thing).

Probably around the end of 2013 or early 2014 I finally decided to give a go after reading Boatmurdered, and was delighted to discover that the article I had read about the game was complete bullshit. After that, there's been no turning back and each major update has addicted me even more and more (pretty much don't play any other computer games anymore).

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 07:23:35 am »

I too had initially been turned away from DF, less-so because of the alleged difficulty but rather because of a reddit snippet about a dude beating a mermaid to death and grabbing its body as a weapon to beat another.  At that point, it seemed like a sociopath fantasy.  Rimworld reinforced that idea.

In early 2020 I somehow found Kruggsmash's stories, which ultimatively convinced me to give it a spin.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2022, 04:23:51 pm »

I too had initially been turned away from DF, less-so because of the alleged difficulty but rather because of a reddit snippet about a dude beating a mermaid to death and grabbing its body as a weapon to beat another.  At that point, it seemed like a sociopath fantasy.  Rimworld reinforced that idea.

In early 2020 I somehow found Kruggsmash's stories, which ultimatively convinced me to give it a spin.

This is an interesting point, and it's kind of shameful to think others might have also been turned off. DF is simulationist to it's core, and with that comes this predilection towards super-violence. Think of a kid playing with action figures, fighting and smashing them together. For the most part people are engaging with DF in that manner.

And then, you realize just how much LIFE there is to explore in the game. Connections, personalities, heroic adventures, and the towns and cities which we construct.

It is also interesting you bring up Rimworld, since
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 04:27:11 pm by Salmeuk »

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2022, 05:15:37 pm »

Way back in 2008, alas I couldn't stomach the ascii graphics for long and I wasn't able to get much done as a result and didn't have the brain power to install tilesets

rediscovered in 2018 I want to say? on and off since with my favourite forts being

-the time I made a tower out of ice after discovering how to mine it
-smallhands over in community forts is a close second
-third is a personal fort I made inside a waterfall with my personal modded race until my old laptop gave up the ghost
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2022, 01:43:32 pm »

Someone made a video about the perfect metropoly in SimCity 3000. Here is the link:And in the comments section someone wrote: "I hope this guy never discovers Dwarf Fortress"
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Plazek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2022, 04:59:08 am »

A couple years before Boatmurdered or so I think.

Back before we had a random map that's for sure.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2022, 10:45:33 pm »

OneFjef got me to notice the game and then I failed at it a lot and then kind of had a few Fortresses last a few years and than lasted twenty years and now I like to try out challenges I create myself or try to make stories with the game.  I like it because it can be hard but once you figure out how to overcome a problem or barrier you truly feel good about how well you did.  Because each player will find their own solutions to the same problem.  Some simple.  Some involving bridges and hot lava.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2022, 06:14:45 am »

Not really much to tell, in my case - found adv mode back in 43.05 via the trope page. Just waiting on the Big Wait, like most of the rest of us, for now.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 04:13:16 am by Silverwing235 »

WonderPsycho

• Bay Watcher
  • Necromancy Cultist, Any and All Pronouns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2022, 06:21:49 pm »

For me, I first discovered Dwarf Fortress thanks to Joel from Vinesauce, basically I discovered Dwarf Fortress all the way back in 2015-2017, I at first didn't watched Joel's archived streams of him playing Dwarf Fortress cause the title of the game sounded like something generic to me (and this was before i realized Dwarf Fortress was a roguelike cause at that time the only roguelike i knew and is the first roguelike i ever played was Cataclysm:Dark Days Ahead, which i discovered back when i first discovered the open-source multiplayer roleplay game Space Station 13) tho after a while I then decided to watch Joel's archived streams on Dwarf Fortress, wondering what was all the fuss about and that's when I realized Dwarf Fortress is not only a roguelike, but alot more then what I expected it to be, and another thing that got me hooked into it was the persistence in the world you generated and whenever you died you could start a new character or fortress and play in that same generated world again, but I will say the archived stream by Joel that truly got me into Dwarf Fortress was his "Part 15" archived fortress mode stream, with the undead and !!FUN!! that happened in that archived stream, and another youtuber that truly got me into wanting to play Dwarf Fortress for myself was Kruggsmash

also a fun fact: Dwarf Fortress as a roguelike was what got me into ascii graphics in some roguelikes like Dwarf Fortress
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 06:26:14 pm by WonderPsycho »
GLORY UPON THE LORDS OF DEATH, PRAISE NECROMANCY!!

Zed Apocalypse Undead Infection Mini Mod
Civs+ Mod

jarathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2022, 04:24:19 pm »

Boatmurdered was definitely my first introduction to Dwarf Fortress. The first time I actually tried playing it, it was still 2D, so it must have been 2007 or so. I bounced off of it then but picked it up again a year or so later, and have been regularly playing ever since. I even did some very embarrassing Let's Plays (do people still call them Let's Plays? I don't think so, right?) circa 2010 that got more attention than I ever expected. I've always wanted to give streaming DF another go, but since then I've been to college, then grad school, and now work as a computational physicist, so I don't really have the time. Besides, the video game video/streaming space is completely different now, and I don't know how much appetite there is for more DF content.

OneFjef got me to notice the game

Now there's a name I haven't come across in a long time! Big dose of nostalgia right there.
Pages: [1] 2