Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: When did you first find out and start playing Dwarf Fortress??  (Read 3227 times)

WonderPsycho

• Bay Watcher
  • Necromancy Cultist, Any and All Pronouns
    • View Profile
Re: When did you first find out and start playing Dwarf Fortress??
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2022, 05:10:01 pm »

I even did some very embarrassing Let's Plays (do people still call them Let's Plays? I don't think so, right?)
nah people still do call gameplay videos Let's plays and stuff and other stuff you're fine
GLORY UPON THE LORDS OF DEATH, PRAISE NECROMANCY!!

Zed Apocalypse Undead Infection Mini Mod
Civs+ Mod

jarathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2022, 11:09:22 am »

I realized that there's a half-scientific way to check my hunch - Google Trends:
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&geo=US&q=%22lets%20play%22

Searches for the term "Let's play" have dropped to just barely over pre-Let's Play Archive levels; I'm not at all surprised that plenty of people still call them Let's Plays (I still do!), but it looks like it's possible that the term has mostly dropped out of the wider internet's collective consciousness. Probably easier to just search for the name of the game you want to watch now that you're all but guaranteed to get Let's Play's when you do.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2022, 10:09:45 am »

There was a DF succession game in the previous forum I frequented. I saw it and now I am here.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2022, 06:43:55 pm »

I have no idea when I started and how. I guess I probably started sometime in 2018, which is when I joined this forum, haha, but I have completely no idea how I got here. I can’t work out how I could have gotten here from the internet haunts I had, pre-2018, to be honest.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2022, 07:22:45 am »

I've always wanted to give streaming DF another go, but since then I've been to college, then grad school, and now work as a computational physicist, so I don't really have the time. Besides, the video game video/streaming space is completely different now, and I don't know how much appetite there is for more DF content.

(snip) Reddit's appetite (https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/) generally expands to match the content available.

Doesn't it, @clinodev?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2022, 09:01:43 am »

When did I first find DF? 2007, perhaps? I know I wasn't an immediate member of these fora, I started by just worldgenning. I'd leave a work computer on overnight worldgenning and in the morning admire the result, when I had gaps (or 'gaps') in my workload. Not by a fortress, not by adventurer, not even checking the legends, just admiring the pre-save-of-worldgen-ascii-scrollable-worldmap.

I think I brought it/redownloaded it back home to eventually play, and from there become hooked. I was in a too savvy a department to be actually mistaken for using an advanced low-level interactive disk-defragging tool as part of my technical duties. ;)

I think these fora have more recollective words about where I learnt of DF, spoken/written when I actually could be more sure, but right this moment I'm torn between a mention being made of it on a MUD talk-channel or else in a Usenet newsgroup - both of which were the most significant bits of my online activity for much of that decade. Some other places (obviously including here[1]), that I might have frequented and have had mention it, only became part of my nerd-environment postdating my DF-discovery, while others had petered out far earlier.

[1] Checking my first posts here, I clearly registered an account to 'assist' with a BugRep of someone's that I'd been browsing. And my posting style hasn't changed much from then! Ah, nostalgia...
Pages: 1 [2]