Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: My Forum Battalion (H&H x Picture Wars)  (Read 5519 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Mood: Cautiously Optomistic
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
My Forum Battalion (H&H x Picture Wars)
« on: January 11, 2022, 06:37:38 pm »

Map:

H&H?
A 'Hurt & Heal' is a type of game where you typically take no more than one turn an hour, and perform two actions (Heal or Hurt 2 points, or do 1 point of each) to a list until all but one item is eliminated. In this game your two actions will be troop movements whether creating more, moving them, or attacking with them(or some combination).

Picture Wars?
In a Picture Wars game, you control a pixel art army and move them across a map to conquer land and defeat other armies. It is an informal game where storytelling is prioritized over competitiveness. Here what you can do is standardized to be competitive. Though units may still be customized and standard actions can be embellished with nonstandard flare.

Join:

• Post, 'IN' and choose a unowned city with a red background to make your army color, the color you'll also use for any units you create in the future. Your army color should be distinct from red, white, or any chosen. Joining counts as 1 move.

• There is a limit of 8 players, if there are no unowned cities then the game is currently full.

• If you were eliminated you can rejoin in the same way.

• At the start of the game, units may not be created until 1 hour after the 4th player joins.

Embellishment: (Optional)

• You can customize the sprites of your units and buildings for your army. Please keep the same general silhouette as the default sprites to the left of the map for recognizably(should still atleast vaguely resemble them).

• Units of the same type should be identical. You can flip, rotate, or slightly alter them to show facing and attacking.

• You can add artistic flare, like explosions and gunfire, just do not modify others' sprites (or the space containing them) unless you are destroying them.

• Do not modify the gridlines, or negative spaces. Do not modify the default sprites to the left of the map.

• You may add terrain damage but players that move into those spaces can ignore/delete it.

Turns:

• Once per hour you can take a turn and perform 2 moves. Post "dibs". Then update the image with your actions and edit it into your post.

• If you take longer than 15 minutes to do this, you can be skipped. (Same for joining players)

• You can't take a turn twice in a row.

• Your timer starts from the edit time of your last turn.

• Units only move to adjacent spaces (up, down, left, right), and not diagonally. Units cannot move through other units or buildings.

• If the owner of a factory or airport has no more cities or units, these buildings become unowned.

Soldier Moves:

• Train up to 1 soldier per city you own, placing each on an empty space adjacent to a different one of your cities. When training soldiers, you cannot increase your soldier population to more than 2 per city you own.

• Choose a soldier, you can move your soldier aswell as any of your soldiers adjacent to them in the same direction 1 space.

• (once per unit) Choose a soldier, change an adjacent enemy building into an unowned building.

• (sacrifice unit) Choose a soldier, capture an adjacent unowned building. Remove your soldier.

• (free action)(once per unit) Choose a soldier, destroy an adjacent soldier.

• (once per unit) Choose a soldier, destroy an adjacent jet.

• Choose a soldier, destroy an adjacent tank; you must have another soldier adjacent to the tank.

• (replace unit)(announce) Choose a soldier who is adjacent to an airport you've captured, replace your soldier with a jet. 48 hours must have passed, since this airport last produced a jet regardless of owner. There is no population limit for your jets! State that you created a jet and at which airport in bold red font.

• (replace unit)(announce) Choose a soldier who is adjacent to a factory you've captured, replace your soldier with a tank. 48 hours must have passed, since this factory last produced a tank regardless of owner. There is no population limit for your tanks! State that you created a tank and at which factory in bold red font.

Tank Moves:

• Choose a tank, move your tank 1 space. If you had an adjacent tank it can be moved to the 1st's former space, and if you had a 3rd tank that was adjacent to the 2nd, it can be moved to its' former space, and so on.

• (free action) Choose a tank, change an adjacent owned building into an unowned building.

• (free action) Choose a tank, capture an adjacent unowned building. Remove your tank.

• (free action)(once per unit) Choose a tank, destroy an adjacent soldier aswell as all soldiers adjacent to that soldier even if they are allies or yours.

• (free action)(once per unit) Choose a tank, destroy an adjacent tank.

• (free action)(sacrifice unit) Choose a tank. While adjacent to a factory, regardless of owner, replace your tank with a soldier. The factory can produce the next tank immediately(starting next turn).

Jet Moves:

• Choose a jet, you can move your jet aswell as any of your jets adjacent to them in a straight line in the same direction up to 2 spaces. You can use the 2 spaces to jump across soldiers, tanks, and buildings.

• (free action) Destroy a soldier or tank that your jet passed over.

• (free action) Make a building unowned that your jet passed over.

• (free action)(once per unit) Choose a jet. Your jet destroys a jet that is adjacent in the same direction your jet moved if it moved. If your jet moves afterward you must move in the direction of the destroyed jet.

• (free action)(sacrifice unit) Choose a jet. While adjacent to an airport, regardless of owner, replace your jet with a soldier. The airport can produce the next jet immediately(starting next turn).

Goal:

• Victory Method 1: Capture every city!

• Victory Method 2 & 3: Offer peace, or just bluff. By default each player is set to bluff. To update the Truce Intentions for your army, send me a PM with either the word 'peace' or 'bluff', in the event that 48 hours passes without activity the Truce Intentions for each remaining army will decide who wins. If anyone is set to bluff then a random bluffer will win! If no one is, then everybody wins! If you rejoin the battle after being eliminated your status will still be whatever you told me last.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 08:21:51 am by roseheart »
Awesome With Autism
Currently listening to: Goldeneye Menu

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: My Forum Battalion XX00 (Practice / Playtest)
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 07:14:24 pm »

Any balance changes will be announced here.

1. I'll be acting as a limited npc player, as outlined in this post. Rejoined upon request. See this post and my next.
2. Rules to permit 'artistic flare' in some cases, such as explosions and gunfire, have been added.
3. Made the darkest pixels in the default sprites pure black(these pixels primarily represent the outlines).
4. Please announce the production of a tank or jet in bold red font. Include the location, see this post.
5. No double jet kills by single soldiers. Future proofing units for new maps. See summary in this post.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 02:30:26 am by roseheart »
Awesome With Autism

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: H&H vs Picture Wars (Practice / Playtest)
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 11:35:48 am »

This all seems needlessly complicated, but let's try anyway:
IN
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 02:59:51 pm by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 02:29:21 pm »

What's the crossed box in front of your city?
Awesome With Autism

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 02:41:19 pm »

Even if you're not familiar with NATO icons, there's only one thing it can be- a soldier.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 02:44:22 pm »

Ah, let's keep the same general silhouette of the units, and modify from that. No units can be produced until after the 4th player joins however.
Awesome With Autism

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 03:00:35 pm »

very well
for the curious here are the NATO icons for jet, tank and soldier respectively:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 03:11:56 pm by a1s »

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 03:35:15 am »

This all seems needlessly complicated, but let's try anyway:

Hey thanks for that, I appreciate giving it a shot. I have succumbed to complexity at times, I once made this game where players needed to generate a code on their turn. It was intellectually interesting, but too complicated. Though I really hope that isn't the case here. I can nitpick, but overall this is the best way I can think of to mix a H&H: a type of game that is simple and straightforward, with a Picture Wars: a game type that is colorful and expressive. It's the best of both worlds!
Awesome With Autism

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2022, 06:05:49 am »

Hello I'm here like requested, so how many people do we need to start?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2022, 07:20:16 am »

Thanks for playtesting, with you 2 more. Here is how a new player joins: Update the map like a1s, so choose an army color and change a city (perimeter 8 buildings are cities) to the army color.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 04:17:49 pm by roseheart »
Awesome With Autism

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2022, 04:06:53 am »

What do we do if we don't get more players?

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2022, 04:24:25 am »

Then I just ask more friends. :/

(looks good, green army)
Awesome With Autism

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2022, 05:22:34 pm »

IN. light green
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2022, 02:52:42 am »

How many do we need to start, shouldn't be all eight right?

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2022, 03:05:57 am »

One more.
Awesome With Autism
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9