Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CotG Cancels Release: Wrong justice state  (Read 1584 times)

amade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amade's illustrations
CotG Cancels Release: Wrong justice state
« on: January 05, 2022, 04:45:17 am »

So...I encountered something peculiar after imprisoning a visitor for influencing one of my dorfs to steal an artifact.

Usually, I just bring the thief into interrogation before they can hand over the artifact to the scheming visitor. This causes them to drop the artifact and fess up the name of their handler. However, this time I allowed them to make the transaction, then I immediately convict the visitor without interrogating either party. My Captain of the Guard (CotG) then proceeds to chain up the visitor in my dungeon. Unfortunately, convicting the visitor does not cause them to drop the artifact.

Interestingly, once I convicted the visitor another instance of the "theft" appeared on my Justice screen. See gif below.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note: Dodok Dastotid/Swordrocks The Hollow Zombie is the visitor, Onget Smithquiet is the thief.

Initially, there was only one Theft of The Leaf of Trifles (no previous attempt have been made) and it is marked green in that gif as I had already convicted the visitor. The other one was marked as red before I interrogated the visitor, then convicted him again of the crime using the other still open case in the hopes of making him drop the artifact, which didn't work. On the plus side, double jeopardy was somehow bypassed and my CotG sentences him to a beating on top of the previous prison sentence. However, it seems the beating would have to wait until the prisoner is released.

Usually in the case of artifact theft, I interrogate the handler after convicting the actual thief; up till now all of them refused to divulge anything to my CotG. This time however, the visitor confesses on the scheme and divulges two other conspiracies which I've never encountered before (see the Espionage cases still marked in red above). I pondered on what to do next while the visitor serves his prison sentence.

Eventually, the visitor was due to be released, but for some reason my CotG drags a terrarium along with him and takes the visitor off his chains and puts him into the terrarium! Job done, but beating still yet to be administered, the CotG then proceeds to return to his individual training while still hauling the visitor contained in the terrarium.

Then suddenly, another dorf came by and took the artifact out of the cage while it was still being hauled!

Possibly if I had no restraints in my prison, a convicted visitor who is then caged would cause the artifact to be retrieved from it? More !!SCIENCE!! is necessary.

The artifact now safely returned to its display case, I checked the CotG again to find that he's dropped the terrarium in the barracks where he's training but nobody seems to want to do anything about it or even haul it to my cage stockpile. So I built the terrarium in my execution room with the intention of using a lever to free him inside a locked room so I can continue my "interrogation" before he tries to leave my fortress. Then my CotG started the following spam:

And now I'm well and truly perplexed.

I have a few options on how to proceed, but I wanted to see if the DF community has any opinions on it before I do anything.
My priorities are in descending order:
  • Find out more about the plot(s) if at all possible, the two espionage cases are still pending
  • Give the visitor the beating he deserves
  • Kick him out of my fortress (actually, he was already going to leave on his own before I convicted him)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
Re: CotG Cancels Release: Wrong justice state
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 06:41:24 am »

:o  The relevance of justice states implies Toady provided for extradition.

Or maybe "state" refers to aggregation state, and they're waiting for the Terrarium to become an Aquarium.  :P

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 07:48:34 am »

I'd expect you to have confused the brute by building the terrarium, and suspect that deconstruct it will allow the brute to continue to the next step.

Don't bother about the plots, as there's nothing you can do about them, and they're probably not even related to your fortress anyway.

amade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amade's illustrations
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2022, 10:02:46 am »

Well, after trying different options I went along with what I planned in the beginning which was to just link it to a lever and release the visitor. He got beat up, then I stuck another espionage charge on him (from one of the pending espionage cases) and that gave him 200+ more days in prison.

But! My CotG or any of the fortress guards will not drag him back to jail. This even after I trapped both my CotG and the visitor inside the prison so the CotG could chain him up again, but nothing's happening. I guess I'll just let him leave the fortress.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯