Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: lye-containing vs. lye-bearing  (Read 1875 times)

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
lye-containing vs. lye-bearing
« on: January 14, 2022, 04:57:41 am »

Making soap requires lye-containing items. However, this trait can't be found in the menu when you specify the condition. Only "lye-bearing" can be found. And this lye-bearing is not lye-containing. How do I make a condition that checks the number of those lye-containing buckets?

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: lye-containing vs. lye-bearing
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 04:51:48 pm »

Making soap requires lye-containing items. However, this trait can't be found in the menu when you specify the condition. Only "lye-bearing" can be found. And this lye-bearing is not lye-containing. How do I make a condition that checks the number of those lye-containing buckets?

I’m not having any problem at all adding the “lye-containing” trait to either an “Items” item condition or a “Buckets” item condition, when creating a “Make soap from tallow” or a “Make soap from oil” order.

When making a “Make lye” order, however, I can’t get the “lye-containing” trait to show up.  My suggestion is to press ‘p’ to get products from reaction, and use that.

Remember to exclude lye from all but the stockpile your soap maker is going to take from and set that stockpile not to take barrels.  If you’ve already started making lye without these precautions, you may need to wait for a caravan to arrive so you can trade any and all barrels of lye to them.  Also, never buy barrels of lye from a caravan.  If you have in the past (or you’ve brought some on embark), sell them as soon as you can.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 10:33:39 pm »

I have only one stockpile for lye and no barrel is allowed there.

It won't work if you let the game check the product which is "lye". Lye-in-bucket is not seen as "lye". The game won't check how many buckets of lye there are.

I indeed can find the "lye-containing" trait when I set the condition for soap making, but I can't find that trait with the job "make lye". This is really curious!

amade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amade's illustrations
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 03:11:49 am »

My automated soap making work order uses Lye stored in barrels (the lye maker automatically transfers it from the bucket to the barrels in the stockpile). When you create the work order to Make Soap, press 'r' and it should automatically include the reagents which are lye-containing items and unrotten tallow globs (I make soap from tallow). It should be noted that the lye-containing item counts a barrel of lye containing multiple stacks of lye as one item, however the soapmaker will not use up the whole barrel when making the soap, only what's needed for the stack of tallow. I'm not sure if the work order will count buckets of lye for use.

If you're trying to limit the number of lye production, pressing P in Make Lye gives you the exact amount of lye (not how many buckets/barrels). I generally just put it around 200 which is enough for 2 barrels (IIRC).
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2022, 04:58:14 am »

I want the dwarfs make 10 units of lye when there are less then 10 lye in stock. If I set the condition as "at most 10 lye" then it will always be satisfied. Lye in container is not considered as "lye" here. The number of "lye" is always 0.

amade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amade's illustrations
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2022, 08:33:55 am »

I just tested this, the work order doesn't count lye in buckets, only in barrels. Two units of lye stored in two separate buckets count as 0 units of lye. Two units of lye stored in a barrel counts as two units. So you have to have it stored in barrels in order to limit production.

No idea why soap production count how many barrels/buckets you've got whereas lye production counts the exact amount of lye you've got.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2022, 02:19:27 pm »

In my experience, the soap maker’s workshop ignores lye in barrels and won’t use it.  I had an automated soap-making setup before, and I couldn’t get it to work until I 1) set the soap maker’s workshop’s input stockpile to exclude barrels, 2) sold all my barrels of lye, and 3) waited for the lye maker to make enough lye to trigger the soap-making work order.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2022, 06:39:29 pm »

The job manager does not count items that are TSK'd (usually because of a hauling job). This causes the count of any item to change around as dwarfs move items and access/lock barrels. This is why lye in buckets is not counted sometimes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

amade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amade's illustrations
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2022, 10:31:17 pm »

In my experience, the soap maker’s workshop ignores lye in barrels and won’t use it.  I had an automated soap-making setup before, and I couldn’t get it to work until I 1) set the soap maker’s workshop’s input stockpile to exclude barrels, 2) sold all my barrels of lye, and 3) waited for the lye maker to make enough lye to trigger the soap-making work order.

Mine uses lye in barrels, with no stockpile linking with no problems.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2022, 02:26:40 am »

Mine uses lye in barrels, with no stockpile linking with no problems.

Hmm… interesting.  I should probably note that I was making olive oil soap.  I’ve got a new fort going, so I think I might try barrels again…

I searched the bug tracker and all I found was a bug that has already been fixed.  I did find this, however…

amade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amade's illustrations
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2022, 05:27:54 am »

I searched the bug tracker and all I found was a bug that has already been fixed.  I did find this, however…

Yes, that's the issue OP is having. However, lye can be counted, but only while it is in barrels, not in buckets, and only in discrete amounts (i.e. exact amount of liquid instead of how many barrels you've got). See my reply a few posts above.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2022, 08:28:51 pm »

Thanks. I'll allow barrels on lye stockpile and see how it works.

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2022, 06:15:55 am »

I now store lye in barrels and it works well.