Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sparring and accidents  (Read 1379 times)

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
Sparring and accidents
« on: January 14, 2022, 12:27:58 pm »

Is there a chance for each sparring attack to actually cause injury?  I can't recall seeing it happen.
My suggestion is to have some accidental damaging hits occur during sparring... rarely of course.

Such as a very small chance a hit does a random fraction of it's normal damage if not successfully blocked/parried.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sparring and accidents
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 12:51:13 pm »

Iirc, there used to be a time when accidents (including fatal accidents) were common if you had your militia train with real weapons.  Thankfully, Toady One fixed that.  Now you just need to worry about them dodging through walls…

Edit:

Also, I’m not sure what your suggestion here is.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 12:53:15 pm by A_Curious_Cat »
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 01:07:16 pm »

Yeah, I've heard about what you said but I started on 0.44.12 and haven't seen it happen personally.

My poorly worded suggestion was simply to have sparring result in rare "minor" to "serious" wounds.
Like every few months somebody gets hurt and ends up in the hospital.
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 05:46:48 pm »

You still haven’t made any suggestion.  This is the suggestions forum, after all.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 06:10:06 pm »

have sparring result in rare "minor" to "serious" wounds.
That sure sound like a suggestion to me.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 06:45:48 pm »

have sparring result in rare "minor" to "serious" wounds.
That sure sound like a suggestion to me.

Oh.  I must be blind, then.  My apologies.

I think an accident every few month’s is a little much, personally.

However, in fairness, I think it should come down to multiple factors:

Skill:  higher skill means less accidents.
Agility:  lower agility means more accidents.
(Possibly other attributes factoring in as well)
Armor quality:  lower quality armor gets broken more easily.  Injuries result…
Weapon type:  practice weapons less likely to produce injuries (need to stop dwarves from getting attached, though…)
(Possibly other things I may have missed.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 08:57:19 pm »

As for the frequency of accidents, it depends on the things you mention and probably other factors.  I have no idea what Toady used in the older version you originally cited (or was it a bug?).

In my current fort with about 250 dwarves training with metal weapons, it seems there should be accidents every year.  I'm not talking about deaths so much as just something that needs to be treated by a doctor.  In smaller militias fewer accidents, naturally. 

(edit:  But this suggestion is of very minor importance compared to forward progress in Toady's plan for the game, as are so many other suggestions.  Usually I just don't mention most things I think of because of that.  Better to see the game's major changes moving forward than little things like this taking up his time.)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 08:59:54 pm by Uthimienure »

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2022, 06:57:48 am »

It does make sense for training weapons to have some use - but they are currently impractical because only certain weapons have training counterparts, and switching weapons isn’t efficient.
So 1. training weapons should be generated for all weapon types, and 2. The armor stand bug should be fixed so they can be used for weapon storage.

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2022, 09:43:25 am »

Is there a chance for each sparring attack to actually cause injury?  I can't recall seeing it happen.
My suggestion is to have some accidental damaging hits occur during sparring... rarely of course.

Such as a very small chance a hit does a random fraction of it's normal damage if not successfully blocked/parried.

I have seen it. My king who was also a macelord and a scholar got some minor injury in sparring.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2022, 01:18:58 am »

I have seen it. My king who was also a macelord and a scholar got some minor injury in sparring.

It only happens with wrestling, AFAIK. Dwarves charge at each other and they slam into walls and floors.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?