Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hyperlink suggestions  (Read 721 times)

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hyperlink suggestions
« on: January 14, 2022, 09:36:39 pm »

G'day,

Seeing the post on hyperlinks today I thought I'd weigh in my two cents, whatever it be worth:

I think it would be convenient if every reference to the same entity (etc) would glow / underline if any one reference were hovered over.
I think it would streamline comprehension if re-occurring entities could be visually distinguished like this, rather than double checking that the names are the same.

Other than this, I was wondering if references to entities on their own page should receive a unique colour to show we're already looking at it.

"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
Re: Hyperlink suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 05:22:05 am »

+2  (one for each)  These would help scan the text for information faster.

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 04:43:55 am »

Both fantastic ideas.

Tarn suggested that he was going to add underlines to the links, but it seems like he meant just permanent underlines, and the bright color is more than enough to make it clear they are links; having them appear only when hovering over references to the same thing would be way more useful.

I would suggest that the "unique color" for the same entity be a muted, pale version of the normal color that brings it closer to the surrounding white text, so as to make it minimally distracting (even if it indicates "you're already on the page", bright colors are still inherently attention grabbing).

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 05:13:33 am »

+2 (like Mobbstar)

I think the ”this entity” color should be the same color for all types of entities. Being on a page you already know whether it is for a person or site or artifact etc., and using multible available colors what could be seen as a single concept is both a waste of colorspace and potentially confusing. I don’t think you want it to be unassuming and blend into the white text either, you want something distinct you don’t have to read in each sentence.

Oh, and by the way, there should be a color legend somewhere.

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2022, 04:55:17 pm »

I think the ”this entity” color should be the same color for all types of entities. Being on a page you already know whether it is for a person or site or artifact etc., and using multible available colors what could be seen as a single concept is both a waste of colorspace and potentially confusing. I don’t think you want it to be unassuming and blend into the white text either, you want something distinct you don’t have to read in each sentence.

You're right; finding a good color would probably require some experimentation (or color theory knowledge), but I'd guess maybe a darkish grey would be suitable as "distinct but you don't need to pay attention to it".