Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Savage Rifts (OOC)  (Read 709 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Savage Rifts (OOC)
« on: January 15, 2022, 01:44:19 pm »

Stirk, what is Savage Rifts?

It is Rifts using the Savage World's system. There is a whole book on it.

What is Rifts?

It is concentrated 90s. The books have lasted for decades and they just kinda through every idea they had at it. The main idea is that you're in a world connected to a "Multiverse" with portals. This means you have giant sci-fi robots fighting against gargoyles, space wizards fighting Cobra/Nazi hybrids, drugged up super soldiers fighting giant tentacle monster vampires, and more! And most of those things are playable. It can get silly. Some of it is silly in the base game.

A lot of it is silly in the base game.

The main setting is a post-apocalyptic Earth with random magic and sci-fi elements literally everywhere. You'll be playing here, and in America. Everything is covered in guns (just in general).

Why Savage Rifts?

Conventional weapons are nonviable in most Rifts games and that is sad :(

Really?

Well it is also easier to run than the Palladium system. Theoretically.

The power scaling seems all over for the base classes.

It is! There's the downside of letting you play basically anything. Some things just arn't going to be as powerful as other things. I'll try to keep the game fun for all players, you don't have to play an OP character if you don't want to. If you do want to it is pretty clear what the more powerful options are and you can just kinda pick them.

Can I change my starting equipment?

Sure.

Can I play something in Rifts that isn't in the SW book?

Sure. We'll work it out if you're interested.

Can I play something that isn't in Rifts and also not in the SW book?

Rifts was kinda a crossover setting where you could explicitly use any of Palladium's books and have it work with the setting. So go for it.

Aren't you like super busy?

Yeah you're getting an update once a weekend. Maybe during the week if we're doing something fast like combat.

So are we going to use the Tomorrow Legion thing?

Probably not. You're free to have your own loyalties but the party isn't going to be under anyone by default, though the PCs might be in charge of their own faction.

So what is the plot then?

Current plot outline is fighting the Coalition. You will either discover a potential Macguffin that would allow your victory or have to gather allies to take them on depending on the flavor of the party. Or some combination of both. Said macguffin would also depend on the party's flavor. Either way will end up with a couple of sidequests fighting non-Coalition things to get to the end goal.

What is the Coalition?

A group of skull fetishists who are just kinda blatantly Nazi ripoffs. Hate everyone who isn't human and most people who are. Dress in all black covered in skulls. Ride in cars shaped like skulls. Have robots shaped like skulls. Look like stormtroopers, but covered in skulls. Cover everything that isn't already covered in skulls in spikes. Black spikes.

They arn't subtle villains. Presumably so you can just come out of a rift and go "yeah those guys are bad news".

Do I need books for this?

You can head over to the Discord and I can talk you through character creation.

Anything else I should know?

If you're familiar with Rifts, Megadamage is a lot more rare in the SW version. It is basically for heavy weapons and heavy armor here, but also doesn't splat non-mega things instantly. Just something to keep in mind.

Can I have gear from other Save World Games?

Sure. Like characters where meant to be transferable gear was too. This includes core if you particularly like anything in the core book.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Savage Rifts (OOC)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 08:52:08 am »

Assuming anyone else shows up, were you planning on running this here or in Discord, anyway?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 07:44:40 pm »

Assuming anyone else shows up, were you planning on running this here or in Discord, anyway?

Here, discord is just for character creation. You could leave the discord after you are done with it.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 09:14:01 pm »

Probably need one more player to start (assuming everyone who made it to the discord makes a character)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 09:44:27 pm »

Half off sale! Everything must go!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2022, 12:34:45 am »

Maybe you should just make a GMPC.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2022, 02:10:59 pm »

Maybe you should just make a GMPC.

Perhaps I could make a young Dragon? Their lore says they take the morality and habits of the rest of the party so that could fit in easily. Or maybe I could make a classic Ex-Coalition, like a Dog Boy who broke past his brainwashing, so you could have some insider information? Or maybe I should be a Techno-Wizard or technician to repair all the party’s Giant Robots, Power Armor, Tanks, and Cybermetics?

Or maybe you, the lurkers, could do all that and more! Roll up a sheet!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2022, 03:51:30 pm »

Other player disappeared >_>. Can probably start with one more player and a GMNPC.