Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions about glass floors  (Read 994 times)

Questions about glass floors
« on: January 15, 2022, 02:29:07 pm »

Do glass floors let light in and prevent cave adaptation? And during siege (goblin or necromancer) can enemies destroy glass floors?

Thanks in advance

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Questions about glass floors
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 02:42:25 pm »

All constructed walls and floors are opaque and effectively indestructible, regardless of their material.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 02:46:12 pm »

All constructed walls and floors are opaque and effectively indestructible, regardless of their material.

Thanks for the answer.

So there is no way to prevent adaptation other than to set up a meeting hall outside like humans?
I don't understand why this nonsense (which is absolutely against lore) exists in the game.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 03:02:59 pm »

Thanks for the answer.

So there is no way to prevent adaptation other than to set up a meeting hall outside like humans?
I don't understand why this nonsense (which is absolutely against lore) exists in the game.

The answer is actually more nonsensical, although less frustrating: Although they do not let light in (for purposes of vision), all spaces that are blocked only by constructed floors (with no natural ground above them) are considered "outside" for purposes of cave adaptation, regardless of floor material.  So yes, you can prevent cave adaptation with a sun-roof, but you can also do it with a stone ceiling, or even multiple stone ceilings, as long as said stone ceilings are artificial.

Don't think about it too much.
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2022, 03:15:06 pm »

The problem is that all my military dorfs are fighting sickly because of this. Their speed is also very low. Now I have to start a fortress again and take cave adaptation into account. Geez sometimes losing is not fun at all.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2022, 05:52:04 pm »

The answer is actually more nonsensical, although less frustrating: Although they do not let light in (for purposes of vision), all spaces that are blocked only by constructed floors (with no natural ground above them) are considered "outside" for purposes of cave adaptation, regardless of floor material.

You're mixing things up a bit - tiles which were exposed to the sky and then covered by constructions are Light and Inside.

As for Cave Adaptation, all of the mechanics can be found on the wiki - "Dark" tiles cause adaptation to increase (while "Light" tiles do not), and "Outside" tiles trigger the negative effects (and gradually cause adaptation to decrease). What this means is that standing under a constructed floor will have no effect on cave adaptation whatsoever - it won't make it better or worse.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2022, 03:36:49 pm »

A suggestion, if cave-adaptation is a continual problem, you could arrange for your dwarves to never actually come out of doors again. Dig or roof a large assembly area towards the top of the fort, and engage the enemy there. Have your traders come underground. Or even do a megaproject and roof your entire location. That way they won't be overcome when you need them.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2022, 03:58:23 pm »

I tend to rp a bit and force myself to use glass, at least when "abusing" the mechanic described above and using constructed floors that still let in light.