Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Elder Scrolls: Godbound OOC  (Read 2322 times)

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Elder Scrolls: Godbound OOC
« on: January 16, 2022, 11:29:47 pm »

Elder Scrolls Godbound

The world is broken.

When the Nerevarine, prophesied reincarnation of the ancient hero Nerevar,  returned from Red Mountain, he came with fire and sword, wielding a terrible new magic called theurgy. Some say he learned it at the feet of Dagoth Ur, others from the very Heart of Lorkhan itself. In either case, he threw the Empire from the shores of Vvardenfell.

Quickly he built an army, made up of fierce Dunmer warriors and imposing bronze golems. He invaded the mainland province of Morrowind, the legions stationed there falling before the might of the Nerevarine.

The fall of Morrowind shattered the Empire’s faith, but it was the Oblivion Crisis that killed it. Perhaps by scrambling to find an answer to the Neverarine’s power, the Empire itself caused the gates to Oblivion to open. These gates sprang up across Tamriel, disgorging hordes of daedra, killing or enslaving all those they came across.

Unable to rely on the Empire for protection, each province had to deal with this crisis on their own, sending whole companies of soldiers through these gates in hopes of closing them.

However, the Empire had indeed discovered how to use theurgy, and so the gates to Oblivion soon became opportunities to those who knew how to wield this High Magic. The Psijic Order came to the aid of the Summerset Isles with their own knowledge of this terrible art, and so the Aldmeri Dominion was reborn.

With the art of theurgy, these gates became an opportunity for plunder, and unimaginable wealth and power flowed to those who could master them. The Daedra stopped their invasions, and tried to close the gates, but the High Mages were able to reopen them at will. It became a time of abundance, for now the powers of creation were wielded and the unimaginable was now possible.

Then the Champion of Cyrodiil slew Sheogorath, the Daedric Prince of Madness, and mantled their power.

Now there was a race, to supplant the very Gods themselves. This Race for the Thrones soon became a war, on Tamriel and on the planes of the Daedra, as the Aldmeri Dominion, the Empire, and Kingdom of Morrowind clashed and fought to amass the most power.

When the last Daedra God was mantled, their greed and desire for power led them to breach  the very Halls of Aetherius. War continued even here, in paradise itself from which all magic flowed. Here they discovered the engines of creation, maintaining Mundis and Nirn itself. Did they pause in their haste and lust for power, to consider the consequences?

No.

They looted the engines of the other planets and realms first, forging new Gods and Daedra for themselves. They found other worlds, some terrible, some wonderful, and others very similar to their own. They looted those too.

Then of course they scavenged the engines supporting the lands of their enemies on Tamriel.

Chaos rocked the land as droughts, disease, earthquakes and other disasters shook the land, even as war continued to rage.

There wasn’t a climactic final battle, just conflict petering out as the empires collapsed on themselves, as their domains in Oblivion and Aetherius stopped supporting them, as darkness crept across the lands.

As for the High Mages and the Mantled Gods?

They killed each other, gorging on endless power and avarice, destroying all around them. The surviving Aedra swore vengeance and fled. The Empire, Dominion and Kingdom are gone, their masters absconded into Aetherius or Oblivion, dead or too ascended to care. What was once one Empire has splintered into a hundred petty kingdoms, and monsters and more plague the lands.

Sithis, the eternal night, plagues the sea and sky. The very moons in the sky are shattered. The world is broken.

But maybe, it can be saved.

Welcome to Elder Scrolls Godbound, where you take up the shards of divinity to reshape the world. The Gods are dead or usurped, mantled by the ambitious and the mad. The Aedra and their servants have sworn to see the mortal races consigned to Oblivion and start anew in the world of Nirn.

You play as a mortal, blessed with a shard of the Heart of Lorkhan, giving you control over a few Words of creation that give you miraculous power. Even now you have enough power to sweep away most mortal opposition, and one day you will challenge the very Gods themselves.

This game will run based on the RPG Godbound, made by Kevin Crawford and the rules can be found for free over on Drivethrurpg (and probably other stores). A guide to character creation can be found there. The game will be set in an alternate Elder Scrolls universe, adjusted to fit into the Godbound setting a bit more.

This is going to be a Sandbox game, driven by the player’s goals. While there will be threats and quests for you to go on, ideally most adventures will be driven by the PC’s. So when designing a potential character, give them goals and ideals that they would strive for, even if it is unrealistic or impossible. You are Godbound, anything can be achieved given enough time and power.

That being said, do try to not make completely clashing characters. You will be part of a pantheon together, and while you can disagree, your character should not want to stop on your fellow Godbound’s castles, or subvert them to their own purposes. You will work as part of a team.

You can build incredible marvels, form societies that loves truth and mercy, and perform awe-inspiring miricles. You will punch terrible monsters in the face and topple kings and empires. Your character's will is what will drive the game forward.

I’m also not here to make value judgements on ways of governing, as Godbound you could make any system of governance work for you, with the proper investing of your Dominion or Influence. If you argue “My hyper-capitalist system I developed should clearly outperform others, I don’t need to invest my Dominion/Influence anymore,” I would tell you that your community will begin to revert back to its original state, or corruption will begin to set in as the world reasserts itself. If you want to ensure that something lasts for a long-time, you will have to invest the resources. I'll make you pay the cost, but I want to encourage you to build and support cool stuff.

Below is a character sheet I typed out. Follow the character creation guide in the book, feel free to roll or use the predetermined stat allocation.

Spoiler: Words (click to show/hide)

In the lonely north, on the outskirts of the Empire, lies Helgen, once an important fortress protecting the trade between nations, now an outpost of a dwindling garrison. In the dungeons beneath the frozen ground, lies prisoners of uncertain fate and fortune, drawn together for unknown purposes. After a Dragon attacks the keep, the prisoners find a power unlocking within themselves, a power that they could have barely imagined.

So create your character, if this sounds interesting to you. Ideally it would be one that fits in the elder scrolls universe, but we can work out special characters. You’ll start in Skyrim, in the dungeons of Helgen, a lonely outpost at the edge of the Empire’s reach. So include a bit about how you ended up in this situation. Maybe it was some injustice that you were imprisoned for, or you were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Or perhaps you were a criminal or a bandit.

However, while you start in Skyrim, land of Nordic kings fighting against the ancient ravenous dragons and their undead legions,  you are not bound there. The whole of Tamriel is yours to roam, and even other worlds are not out of reach.

You do not need to be super familiar to the Elder Scrolls setting to play this game. Main goal is to have fun and a good time, I'm not aiming to be super-lore compliant or anything.

Character sheets will be selected based on a combination of interesting characters and a mix of Words represented. Previous players of mine will be given preference. I’ll take a max of 6-8 players, though you may be added to a waitlist if we end up doing a player expansion.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Elder Scrolls Godbound IC
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 12:09:31 am by chubby2man »
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elder Scrolls: Godbound OOC
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 11:30:08 pm »

(Reserved)

Damage Tables:
Roll: Damage Taken
1 or less: 0 damage
2-5: 1 Damage
6-9: 2 Damage
10+: 4 Damage

Magic Rules:
So the magic in Elder Scrolls and that presented in the rules of Godbound are pretty different, but here is how we will go with ruling magics.

-You get 2 Magicka points per level, each magicka point being enough roughly for 1 low level spell. 1 magicka point per turn is restored, and completely at scene end. Those with the Sorcery Word restore all of their magicka every turn.
-You need a fact to use a School of Magic such as destruction or alteration, or choose 4 spells from a variety of schools.
-Spells automatically hit, Worthy foes may get a save depending on the spell.

Example destruction spells. First number represent magicka cost.

So scale for fire destruction spells might be something like
1- Flare: 1d4 single target
2-Flames: 1d4 multiple close targets
2-Firebolt: 1d6 single target.
3-Fireball: 1d8 multiple targets
3-Incenerate: 1d10 single target
4- Firestorm: 1d10 multiple targets

(Shouts would be similar to spells and also use the magicka system)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 04:48:53 pm by chubby2man »
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 12:36:08 am »

« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 07:09:32 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 02:03:16 am »

Spoiler: Lleras Hlaalu (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 05:44:34 pm by Kilojoule Proton »

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 02:53:10 pm »

That took way too long.

Spoiler: Field Commander (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 05:31:17 pm by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 03:37:24 pm »

Time to read I suppose.
Umm, is there a google drive link? Cause all the others need me to sign up for something.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 08:09:15 pm by TricMagic »

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 04:01:53 pm »

I found a copy of Godbound Beta 1.7 available as a PDF HERE, is it 'close enough' to whatever version the drivethrurpg Free version is? or is this a case of people needing to make a new account elsewhere just to get the rules to play along?
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 04:05:25 pm »

It appears to be entirely the same, sans many of the pictures. However, I believe that this may be both easier for people to read and is more complete.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2022, 04:44:12 pm »

Thanks Glass/Acter.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2022, 08:00:25 pm »

Tric might I recommend a spoiler so we don't have to scroll past the entire lengthy character sheet over and over again?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2022, 11:46:59 pm »

No rush on character sheets, I’ll say the deadline to get a sheet in will be end of Sunday. Don’t stress too much about getting your character sheet exactly right, as long as you are close enough we can figure it out. Thanks to Glass and Crazyabe for sharing the pdf.

Character sheets look good so far. I would just be careful about picking that additional word instead of 2-3 gifts that you can actually use right away. Gifts are powerful abilities, and you won’t able to get all the gifts for 3 Words, let alone 4. Just something to keep in mind!

Let me know if you have any questions!

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2022, 12:44:42 pm »

Thanks to Madman for the slight bit of formatting I stole. :P

« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 12:19:58 am by SOLDIER First »
Black lives matter.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2022, 09:08:24 pm »

Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Sudurandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2022, 02:12:14 pm »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2022, 06:34:57 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)