Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I honestly miss bogeymen  (Read 6351 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
I honestly miss bogeymen
« on: January 18, 2022, 05:47:40 am »

For some reason, waiting in evil areas doesn't seem to spawn bogeymen. My characters are always by themselves, and wait until dawn. This is vanilla Dwarf Fortress, new created world that with ordinary world gen, with a fresh DF download.

Does my character have to be sleeping, or moving? Any other tips to get bogeymen to spawn.

I make such combat oriented characters that ordinary bandits and creatures become either too easy or so difficult to find.

Having an eternal enemy to test my characters on would actually be fun, especially with the current Bogeymen being able to transform.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I honestly miss bogeymen
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 06:22:33 am »

Just not in the right place, as it happens - it has to be a nightmares or darkness-aspected region, those days. 

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 07:14:18 pm »

What do those look like? I just assumed that all purple looking territory in the Travel map counted.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 11:07:20 am »

What do those look like? I just assumed that all purple looking territory in the Travel map counted.

I may have misunderstood the situation, they don't 'look like' anything in particular - you have to look in legends mode for a demon with associations to nightmares or darkness, then head on over.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 06:27:59 pm »

I'll try increasing the number of demon types, see if that helps the right one spawn more often in world gen.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 01:24:44 pm »

You'll probably need to up the number of civilizations too, or it'll only generate more of the common* demons.

*Specifically the unnumbered, usually non-sapient horde types that spawn in a breach.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 01:26:34 pm by duckman »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2022, 04:00:32 am »

bogeymen are currently a complex creature that instead of being really small and dodgy they are now pretty much small, dodgy, and shapeshifting druids of the night that will swarm you if you show any sense of fear, the encounter with bogeymen are just as hard as trying to force one to exist, though with necromancy you get the benefit of earning a recovering zombie mount( that could go bipedal and open doors) and or with adventurer sacrifices and a local adv necromancer in a bunker and some set up one could convince a bogeymen to joining a player fort and make them peaceful.

mod wise one could use animal entity tokens to insert bogeymen into a civ and get civilian bogeymen that way on top of playable bogeymen in both fort and adv mode. though given bogeymen are part of a pool of night creatures raw name wise you need to have a number higher than the total count of night trolls but lower than the total number of bogeymen otherwise you might get nightmares or werebeasts.
Code: [Select]
[ANIMAL]
[ANIMAL_TOKEN:NIGHT_CREATURE_20]
[ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PRESENT]
[ANIMAL_ALWAYS_MOUNT]
[ANIMAL_ALWAYS_WAGON_PULLER]
[ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PACK_ANIMAL]
[ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PET]
[ANIMAL_ALWAYS_SIEGE]
I could write more about this subject but the fact bogeymen are rare to get now mostly killed the drive to keep going after finishing the 9+ year long life project of making civil bogeymen in vanilla DF.

oh yeah if you have a no fear having adventurer and you activated the cackling you could provoke one bogeyman into attacking you then talk to the other bogeymen and watch them jump in to save your adventurer by fighting the provoked bogeyman.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2022, 05:54:44 pm »

Have you had any luck with modded bogeymen, i.e. [EVIL] creatures you've defined yourself with bogeyman tokens, but no sphere associations?

I've not focused on testing it recently, suppose I probably should. Them and night trolls. Never encountered bogeymen in the wild since the new version either.

It's kinda disappointing to see you've not been able to do the bogeyman stunts lately, honestly. I've still yet to accomplish any of it myself. You really should make a thread detailing the steps to do each of the tricks and what versions of the game to use, that would be awesome
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2022, 08:18:18 am »

Have you had any luck with modded bogeymen, i.e. [EVIL] creatures you've defined yourself with bogeyman tokens, but no sphere associations?

I've not focused on testing it recently, suppose I probably should. Them and night trolls. Never encountered bogeymen in the wild since the new version either.

It's kinda disappointing to see you've not been able to do the bogeyman stunts lately, honestly.  -snip-
  so in a weird sense during the 9+ year life project modded bogeymen was first discovered when toady added animal entity tokens and finding out you can make them citizens after which I just had bogeymen as common citizens that roam the worlds I play and or become fort mode citizens and or adventurers, the burn out was from messing with vanilla bogeymen as the set up takes prep work to get the right region to make them appear and having to locate the operation to summon them to the backyard of some dark fortress site that might end up having their leader killed kinda made the task "Too much of a challenge" to causally do and I did this like 3ish times... and during the process I ended up learning about recruiting the other sapient creatures including night trolls.

and the only remaining stunts I could think about would be fort mode related and tied to what use can you get from the polymorphing mechanic.

so far I'm glad toady didn't remove bogeymen outright and the modded set up still works, it does mean while rare in wild vanilla wise bogeymen are less likely to die from going out at night in this version so playing as them wouldn't be 'hard mode until you get a companion'(which is even easier to get now with pets and adv groups.)  of the old days of pre-47.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2022, 07:36:32 am »

To be honest, I miss them too, a little. Travelling in the night used to feel scary, there was a genuine sense of dread when I saw the light begin to fade, like playing Cataclysm. Now it’s a bit blasé.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2022, 05:02:32 pm »

How sweet, I miss you all too.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper