Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: [SG] Lost and Confused  (Read 3146 times)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
[SG] Lost and Confused
« on: January 24, 2022, 07:15:59 am »

((Here's my return to GMing. I promise this one won't die quickly for real.))

The twin rotors of the CH-47 Chinook make a constant, loud chopping sound as the war machine flies over the Iranian semidesert. From the small window, you can see hills, shrubbery, and a small village or two. The sky is blue, without a single cloud visible, and overall the situation is calm. Your squad of ten US soldiers (including the pilot) is transferring to a different forward base further northwards, closer to the front line of the civil war. The southern semideserts are controlled by allied rebel forces, so surely everything will turn out fine...?

But looking sideways from your seat, in the direction of the cockpit's large window, you see a strange rippling spot in the sky, twisting and shifting unpredictably. It is unlike anything you have ever seen before in your whole life. The pilot fails to stop the helicopter quickly enough, and as the anomaly draws closer, it seems to twist more and more until it turns into a maelstrom of a vortex, its many colors changing every second, some of them indescribable and seemingly impossible, from greenish reds to blackish whites.

Fear overtakes you as the Chinook enters the vortex. The squad begins panicking as the landscape outside changes from a completely mundane desert to a tunnel of impossible colors, shapes, and patterns. The sound of the rotors is distorted as if by an amplifier, turning into an unearthly screech. This continues for a few minutes which feels like hours. Your heart pounds, and you feel motion-sick. The pilot somehow doesn't lose control.

And then, with a loud pop followed by a humming sound as well as everything seemingly going back to normal, the sights from out the window become... a jungle? And not just any familiar jungle; many of the trees are of shapes you don't recognize. You are around ten meters above the treeline. There is a strange cinnamon-like smell in the air, which quickly enters the interior of the transport chopper. The whispers and shouts of confusion and fear among your squadmates have already begun to calm down.

You've a feeling you're not in Iran anymore.

Allocate 6 points between those three stats, none can be higher than 3 or lower than 1. This will be used for internal checks and stuff. This is a singleplayer game anyhow.
Code: [Select]
Strength:
Dexterity:
Intelligence:

What is your gender?

What is your name?

And last but not least... what do you do?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 07:36:36 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
Re: [SG] Lost and Confused
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 07:20:44 am »

I'll PTW for now
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 09:12:59 am »

PTW
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 10:15:15 am »

Jim Carter, male. Our nomenclatural resemblance to a certain former president earns us no end of teasing from our squadmates.
Unless we're in charge here, we do nothing and wait for orders from our ranking officer. Unless no such officer's present, anyway.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 10:29:07 am »

Jim Carter, male. Our nomenclatural resemblance to a certain former president earns us no end of teasing from our squadmates.
Unless we're in charge here, we do nothing and wait for orders from our ranking officer. Unless no such officer's present, anyway.

+1

Separately, I suggest a boring 2-2-2 stat distribution:
Strength: 2
Dexterity: 2
Intelligence: 2

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 02:02:08 pm »

Oh, I didn't notice the stat stuff.

+1
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 03:18:04 pm »

Oh, I didn't notice the stat stuff.

+1
+1
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 03:18:27 pm »

+1
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2022, 04:50:00 am »

+1

+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2022, 06:49:58 am »

+1

+1

+1
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2022, 11:17:48 am »

We seem to have been isekai'd into... who knows, honestly, but probably some fantasy world. I have a sneaking suspicion we are the ranking officer, or, at least, will be soon.

Wait. Observe surroundings - situational awareness is important as as a soldier. Have we taken jungle survival training? If so, put as much of that into practice as we can. Take stock of the others.

The fact that nobody seems to be significantly disturbed makes me suspicious. The pilot just flew into a magical summoning vortex and you didn't even lose control of the chopper? Check up on him. Make sure he hasn't been replaced with, like, a replicant body double or something.

I'm fully expecting shit to hit the fan soon, so we might as well be prepared for it.

(Ugh. Phone posting sucks.)
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2022, 02:34:51 am »

(I just realized we have water but no rations is there a reason for this, also aren't most soldiers given sidearms?)
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2022, 10:43:26 am »

+1

Accepted.

You sit there and wait, still trying to process the bizarre situation you are in. Staff Sergeant Noah Collins, your squad's leader, first to seemingly regain composure, orders everyone to, in his own words, "remain calm and don't panic until we figure out where the fuck are we".

Wait. Observe surroundings - situational awareness is important as as a soldier. Have we taken jungle survival training? If so, put as much of that into practice as we can. Take stock of the others.

The fact that nobody seems to be significantly disturbed makes me suspicious. The pilot just flew into a magical summoning vortex and you didn't even lose control of the chopper? Check up on him. Make sure he hasn't been replaced with, like, a replicant body double or something.
You keep looking out of the small round window upon the unfamiliar landscape. Trees, trees as far as you can see, punctuated by hills and clearings. What looks like a river cuts through the Amazonia-like thicket some distance away, though you can't quite see the water. And in the distance, beyond the hazy, misty horizon, you see what looks like a pillar of dark smoke. Whether it is a campfire or a distant volcano or something else entirely, you can't tell. Fortunately, you remember taking a jungle survival training class, long ago. You probably remember some stuff from it, hopefully. The entire squad is still present, though understandably very shaken up.
Heading to the cockpit, you question the pilot, Konnor Foster, about how on Earth he managed to not lose control. His reply is quite troubling.
"I don't know! It's as if I didn't control my fuckin' hands at all! Like some puppeteer was pulling my strings, y'know? By the way, the GPS ain't working at all and the radio's just picking up static. We have fuel for one and a half hour, tops. I'll try to find some flat ground to land on but what then?"

(I just realized we have water but no rations is there a reason for this, also aren't most soldiers given sidearms?)
You then look around the helicopter for rations, finding a dozen MREs in a box secured under one of the seats. This wasn't meant to be a long trip so they won't last the ten of you for long... also, you remember you have a pistol.

Spoiler: You (click to show/hide)

What do you do, and do you tell Konnor to fly towards the smoke pillar?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 09:50:41 pm by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2022, 12:23:56 pm »

be careful.  tell the pilot to set us down somewhere high, defensible, and where we can keep an eye on the smoke.  we then get our hands on some binoculars, and after scanning our surroundings for threats, we try to ascertain more about the smoke and where its coming from. 

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2022, 04:13:38 pm »

be careful.  tell the pilot to set us down somewhere high, defensible, and where we can keep an eye on the smoke.  we then get our hands on some binoculars, and after scanning our surroundings for threats, we try to ascertain more about the smoke and where its coming from. 
+1
Pages: [1] 2 3 4